Long Time Molting

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
My female G. aereostriata has finally molted, as of Monday May 5, 2003. Her last molt was 10/5/99! As of now she holds the personal record in my collection for going longest between molts, though my senior B. smithi is looking to challenge it (last molt: 10/28/99).

I'd be interested in hearing about other people's record-holders in this category.

Joy

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Slow grown to perfection. I have a ,still small, 7 year old Aphonopelma chalcodes that's goin' on it's second year without molting. I bought it as a speck, and now it's only like 3". This thing is excrutiatingly slow. Like a Citharischius crawshayi.
I have nothing that would compete with your slow molters. Wow, that is a long time.
john

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Your Chaco is beautiful!!

I'm not sure when my Chaco molted last. I've had her over a year and no molt. She stopped eating a couple of months ago, I guess it could be awhile before she molts. I keep waiting to come home and find her all new, I won't hold my breath though.:)

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Joy
My female G. aereostriata has finally molted, as of Monday May 5, 2003. Her last molt was 10/5/99! As of now she holds the personal record in my collection for going longest between molts, though my senior B. smithi is looking to challenge it (last molt: 10/28/99).

I'd be interested in hearing about other people's record-holders in this category.

Joy
Joy,

Check your B. smithi for a pulse...just in case.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
wow, i hope when my little baby grows up it's as beautiful as yours! |)

i think after this when i get more Ts i'm going to get them a little older. perhaps like 2" at least.

what do you guys think? my 3" G. rosea is SOoOo much easier to gauge and such.

of course, the little slings are the sheer essense of cuteness and sweetness.

none of them have been in the least bit aggressive and i've held every one of them.

ironically enough though, the chaco HATED one of the tiny crickets and he was threatening it like there was no tomorrow with leg hairs. lol! never actually did it though. :)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Joy & LaRiz

What's the temperature range that you keep your areostriata and chalcodes? Joy, she looks absolutely beautiful, btw.

Dario

Joy

Old Timer
I keep mine 72-80 degrees. I only use supplemental heating (and then very little of it) in the cold months, and her vivarium isn't thermostatically controlled, so it varies quite a bit. IME, Grammastolas are tough as boots in regard to temperature. I have a couple of G. pulchras who were bred last fall, and whom I kept in an unheated closet over the winter with temps in the mid to high 50's in an effort to stimulate egsac production. Not only did they not seem to mind these conditions, they even continued to eat regularly all winter, which I certainly did not expect. No eggsacs yet, but I'm still hoping.

Joy

Joy

Old Timer
Re: Re: Long Time Molting

Originally posted by Professor T
Joy,

Check your B. smithi for a pulse...just in case.
I know she's alive. I saw her scratch her behind yesterday!

Joy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: Re: Re: Long Time Molting

Originally posted by Joy
I know she's alive. I saw her scratch her behind yesterday!

Joy
Sure she's not a he? ;)

Bill

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My adult female G rosea molted in September of 2002 but before that she hadnt molted since September 2000 so she went two years almost exactly between molts. I think this is pretty common though.

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
I had a female G. rosea that had 3 years and 3 months between molts. May 20 1997--August 29 2000

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my longest in-between days (sorry,the cure rule) of molting was a G.rosea that had about 2 years (1998-2000).

Also, that same T took 12 hours to molt, and it was succesful! (11pm-11am)

i was fairly worried, but.. just kept the humidity up and kept a careful eye!

peace,
dave