Long time lover first time owner

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Get something hungry. My A. geniculata is one of my favorites. She eats everything, dances when she is happy, does terrible things to her water dish, and pushes her ping pong ball around. Here is a vid I just caught of her.
I know your tarantula! I watch your videos on youtube. Thinking about using those hobby lobby enclosures.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I got my first T (b smithi) for my birthday this year after desperately wanting one for about 20 years. It was the first pet I can remember begging for. I am in love with him and have become instantly addicted. I just added a female A. chalcodes to my collection and Im looking into getting a third. Anyone have any recommendations. I live in maryland so the weather changes daily and my number 1 priority is health of my T's so Im looking for a hardier species. Any suggestions?
I'd say the Euathlus Red , my first and favourite T , very hardy , full of character, always on the move , and adorable for a T ( the T version of a dog ) their very nosey and like watching what's going on , mine seems to sence when sitting near his setup as he will come out and sit on his hide and watch you . Everyone should have one ! Their also a small species , and don't need a really large setup , that being said they do need the room to move about as they are active , and care needs to be taken to insure they can't hurt themselves if they take a fall ( just need to raise the substrate to allow for this )

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Question: Would you Lady, purchase (ah ah 'purchase' crack me up, btw) one day, the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) for serve Her the right & humble way?

Take your time for the reply, it's an essential question after all u_u

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
3rd 'eh?and thus,the addiction starts, by next month,u'll be buying ur 4th,maybe even the 5th.

When it comes to starters,u cant go wrong with albopilosum.its so fluffly,u're gonna die. :p

boina

Lady of the mites
A. geniculata: active, always hungry, very pretty, good size - great T.
Euathlus sp. red: Don't overlook this one. I'ts a dwarf species and not very colorful, but they are soooo cute. They want to explore everything and if you open the enclosure most will come out by themselves to have a look - the only T I know of that does that. Mine goes to arachnophobia trainings and is a star :).

No recommendation for the G. pulchripes from me, though. I have an AF, one of the first Ts I got, but we never really became friends. She didn't get the memo on G. pulchripes being good eaters - she will take a cricket now and then, but doesn't really get fat :meh:. On top of that she spends a lot of time in her hide. But I don't like brown spiders all that much anyway :p.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
If you enjoy feeding then I'd go A. geniculata, they go beast mode on their prey :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
A. geniculata - Gorgeous, eats like it's never been fed, only refuses food when in premoult, gorgeous, grows fast, always out, fairly active, gets big, did I mention that they're gorgeous?
C. cyaneopubescens - Nice colours (especially as slings), great feeding response, easy care, heavy webbers.
B. albopilosum - Adorable fuzzballs, decent growth rate and appetite, pretty much bulletproof in terms of care.
G. iheringi - One of the (if not the) fastest growing Grammostola species, gorgeous, great feeding response, only refuses food when in premoult, out often, webs more than other Grammos.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Question: Would you Lady, purchase (ah ah 'purchase' crack me up, btw) one day, the Goddess 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her) for serve Her the right & humble way?

Kind of confused by the question phrasing but if you're asking if I would consider a pelinobius muticus the answer is not for a long time. I don't handle my Ts and don't plan on it unless absolutely necessary. Main concern for me is always my ability to protect my animals and if there
were ever an emergency and I needed to quickly remove an animal and run (a fire for example) I want to make sure I could catch it.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Never thought of one to be honest but i heard they're pretty chill animals. and fattys. I love fattys
If you like that, you'd also love Grammostola pulchra. My juvenile, Bulldozer, is currently the favorite in my collection.

mistertim

Arachnobaron
I got my first T (b smithi) for my birthday this year after desperately wanting one for about 20 years. It was the first pet I can remember begging for. I am in love with him and have become instantly addicted. I just added a female A. chalcodes to my collection and Im looking into getting a third. Anyone have any recommendations. I live in maryland so the weather changes daily and my number 1 priority is health of my T's so Im looking for a hardier species. Any suggestions?
I live in the DC Metro area as well and it isn't really a problem IMO. For the most part if you're comfortable with the temps he spiders will be too. However, I'd recommend getting a space heater to maybe just bump the temp in the room were you keep them up a tad and for winter. As far as recommendations I think the GBB and A.genic are great but you have to be a little prepared. GBBs are very quick and can be pretty skittish and genics treat every single thing that moves within their general vicinity as food until they've tasted it and decided it isn't.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I live in the DC Metro area as well and it isn't really a problem IMO. For the most part if you're comfortable with the temps he spiders will be too. However, I'd recommend getting a space heater to maybe just bump the temp in the room were you keep them up a tad and for winter. As far as recommendations I think the GBB and A.genic are great but you have to be a little prepared. GBBs are very quick and can be pretty skittish and genics treat every single thing that moves within their general vicinity as food until they've tasted it and decided it isn't.
Thanks! Quick question. Where do you purchase your T's from? Since we live in the same area I didn't know if you'd found any shops that carry them.

Trenor

Arachnoprince

Hey, hey. You have to give people time to settle in before trying to brainwash them into joining your cult man. :p

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thanks! Quick question. Where do you purchase your T's from? Since we live in the same area I didn't know if you'd found any shops that carry them.
Unfortunately I haven't found any exotic pet stores in this area that carry them, though there are Repticons from time to time in Dulles, VA and Baltimore. Never been to one but I've heard there are at least a few tarantula sellers there. Except for once (private seller lived pretty close to me so we met up), I have just ordered online and had them shipped. As long as you buy from a reputable breeder or member on this board you shouldn't run into any problems as they will pack them well and are good at communicating.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately I haven't found any exotic pet stores in this area that carry them, though there are Repticons from time to time in Dulles, VA and Baltimore. Never been to one but I've heard there are at least a few tarantula sellers there. Except for once (private seller lived pretty close to me so we met up), I have just ordered online and had them shipped. As long as you buy from a reputable breeder or member on this board you shouldn't run into any problems as they will pack them well and are good at communicating.
Thats what i figured. I'm planning on going up to repiticon in may. Fingers crossed we have a lot of T breeders there. Last year there were only 3 :(

mistertim

Arachnobaron
Thats what i figured. I'm planning on going up to repiticon in may. Fingers crossed we have a lot of T breeders there. Last year there were only 3 :(
Yeah and, as far as I've heard, most of them just sell inverts as a side thing but tend to focus on herps so you'll potentially see lots of common names and sub-par setups which always gives me pause. To be honest, I would rather buy from an established breeder online or a trusted member here on AB. Might cost a little more (especially with LAG shipping) but you at least know you're getting exactly what you paid for and it will be well cared for and in good health.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
once my smithi gets a little bigger I'm gonna sex it. I really wanted a female but I'm 99% that its a male. I don't care about the breeding aspect I just wanted her to last a loonggg time. If it doesnt end up female i might hit the expo just to see and if its not good Ill order online. Thank you
Yeah and, as far as I've heard, most of them just sell inverts as a side thing but tend to focus on herps so you'll potentially see lots of common names and sub-par setups which always gives me pause. To be honest, I would rather buy from an established breeder online or a trusted member here on AB. Might cost a little more (especially with LAG shipping) but you at least know you're getting exactly what you paid for and it will be well cared for and in good health.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
once my smithi gets a little bigger I'm gonna sex it. I really wanted a female but I'm 99% that its a male. I don't care about the breeding aspect I just wanted her to last a loonggg time. If it doesnt end up female i might hit the expo just to see and if its not good Ill order online. Thank you
At that size it's really hard to tell what the sex is so you still have a good chance of it being either. I got lucky and both my B.smithi Ts turned out female. I can understand about wanting your Ts to stay with you a long time. I was pretty happy when my P.met turned out to be female since she was an early and favorite addition of mine.

You would not need to breed him yourself in the event it was a male. It's not hard to send him to someone who needs him for breeding. I sent off two in the last month or so. Also by the time he is mature you might have got more into the hobby and changed your mind. I'm going to be breeding a GBB male in a few weeks. He that was the 3rd T I ever got. At the time I didn't plan on breeding any of them myself.