Long time lover first time owner

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I got my first T (b smithi) for my birthday this year after desperately wanting one for about 20 years. It was the first pet I can remember begging for. I am in love with him and have become instantly addicted. I just added a female A. chalcodes to my collection and Im looking into getting a third. Anyone have any recommendations. I live in maryland so the weather changes daily and my number 1 priority is health of my T's so Im looking for a hardier species. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

N1ghtFire

Arachnoknight
Pretty much any Aphonopelma or Brachypelma would be a good choice IMO. I only have an A. hentzi and B. emilia. I also have an L. parahybana and N. chromatus which I find both really interesting to keep, and very easy to take care of. They are also a fairly cheap choice, so I think they would both be a good choice for a new collector.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
G. pulchripes
G. pulchra
B. albopilosum
Euathlus sp. red

might be worth looking into. If you want something big, a Lasiodora klugi/parahybana/difficilis or Acanthoscurria geniculata might be fun too.

Last edited:

Arachne97

Arachnopeon
If you don't handle your ts and are ok with skittish temperaments then chromatopelma cyaneopubescens would be a great choice. Really easy to keep, gorgeous, very voracious eaters and they make a good display tarantula since they are often out in the open and web up their enclosure.

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
C. Cyaneopubescens all day if you don't mind paying a bit extra. Hardy and unbelievably gorgeous and eats anything you throw towards it. I would recommend a sling of this one because they grow rapidly and have several color changes.

Then of course the A. Genic (my gorgeous little trashcan) which is another fun one and a fast grower with a pretty intense attitude. Got mine at 1/4 of an inch and now, 9 months later, it's pushing 2 inches and the adult colors starting to come in.

B. Vagans are gorgeous too. I think they are pretty underrated and mine is growing like a weed and eats every time I put something in with it.

Seeing which two you already have, I would recommend looking for a trash compactor type of species because my smithi will go months without eating and my chalcodes is maybe half and inch and has eaten 3 times in my care over the last 8 months. Hasn't molted either. I personally would lose my mind if all my T's stopped eating haha!

Honestly though with you looking for hardy species, you have so many fantastic options to chose from and every one would be perfect

volcanopele

Arachnosquire
For a third spooder? Are you looking to continue getting NW terrestrials? I think L. parahybana (or any Lasiodora to be honest, I love them all) or C. cyaneopubescens (otherwise known as the GBB) might be good choices. These are generally pretty hardy. Are you looking at maybe branching out into arboreals? P. cambridgei or an juvie or adult Avic (not slings if you are worried about hardiness, though honestly they're not that hard to keep if you setup their enclosure properly) might be good choices.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thrixopelma cyaneolum
Thrixopelma sp cajamarca
Vitalius sorocabae
Gbb
Any Brachypelma
Almost any Grammostola apart from rosea/porteri

Your choices are literally endless

Jeff23

Arachnolord
G. pulchripes
G. pulchra
B. albopilosum
Euathlus sp. red

might be worth looking into. If you want something big, a Lasiodora klugi/parahybana/difficilis or Acanthoscurria geniculata might be fun too.
^^^^^I will second these four.

C. Cyaneopubescens is also great if you like the webbing. Get a sling put it in an over-sized container with lots of objects (cork bark, fake plants, fake flowers, plastic objects etc.). Then watch it change over time. I also agree that a sling is best to watch them grow. Mine have never been that skittish after they got settled in with the new environment.

Last edited:

MrTwister

Arachnoknight
I have limited experience, but would have to suggest L.P. I realize each spider will have its own personality, but my specimen is always out patrolling the enclosure, working on its burrow, or just relaxing in plain view..day or night. While not the largest species it will still obtain an impressive size, and eats like a 600 pound man at a buffet. They are incredibly cheap to purchase as well.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
E. Sp. Red all day long. I am not even going to say why as I will go on forever about that species. They are my favorite species for a reason. #1 beginner species in my opinion.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got my first T (b smiti) for my birthday this year after desperately wanting one for about 20 years. It was the first pet I can remember begging for. I am in love with him and have become instantly addicted. I just added a female A. chalcodes to my collection and Im looking into getting a third. Anyone have any recommendations. I live in maryland so the weather changes daily and my number 1 priority is health of my T's so Im looking for a hardier species. Any suggestions?
B. smithi (not smiti) is quite the hardy species itself, so is your 2nd one. A hardy species is definitely Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens

AKA, Green-Bottle Blue. They are faster and a more nervous species, but extremely hardy. The pattern and color change from sling to juvi is by far one of the most dramatic changes of all Ts, perhaps rivaled by only C. versicolor.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
Amazing! At three years you already wanted a Taranchula? A record, that's a record :kiss:
Seriously! My mom refused because i was so little, but I've loved animals since I was very little and for my 5th birthday I asked for a taxidermy rhinoceros beetle.

Rachel C

Arachnopeon
I was definitely looking into the c. cyaneopubescens, heard a lot about there color changes from slings. Also looking at the A genuiculata. Maybe both

Screamingreenmachine

Arachnosquire
You really cannot go wrong with either of those. They were my first two T's and I couldn't be happier with that choice! Also sine I am an enabler and I say go for both. Can never have enough! I bet in a month or two you'll be itching to buy more

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Get something hungry. My A. geniculata is one of my favorites. She eats everything, dances when she is happy, does terrible things to her water dish, and pushes her ping pong ball around. Here is a vid I just caught of her.