Long-term survival?

Baphomet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a question for those more experienced in dealing with injured T's.

A couple of weeks ago, I rescued a Aphonopelma seemanni that some guy brought into the shop. It was missing its first pair of legs...broken off at the femur/carapace.

Its pedipalps are in good condition, as are all other leg parts, abdomen, chelicerae, carapace, ect.

It readily takes crickets, and doesn't appear to have any problems moving about its cage.

What are the long-term chances of this T's survival, and would anyone consider this a "waste of time" to nurse this rather ordinary T back to health?

As mentioned once before, my forte is reptiles/scorpions, and I have become quite knowledgeable in just what constitutes a "saveable" animal...but my experience in this area regarding T's is very basic.

Thanks for any input guys (and gals)! :)

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
if it is just a couple legs it should start to regenerate them back after it molts... im an expert or anything but I do know that tarantulas will regenerate legs that have been lost in molting accidents and any other ways. Hopefully it does survive good luck

The Don

forgot to say also if it is eating and moving around fine it sounds like it is doing just fine... and if it has troubles catching its food just hand feed it with tweezers.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Regeneration!!!!! There will be a lag in the regeneration, depending upon how much of the leg is broken off,
but if its eating and drinking and lookshealthy, no problem! They've evolved that way for a reason!

and no reason to keep a perfectly good A.seemani in the pet store --

hey maybe those 2 legs lost will make that bastard a little slower.. Man, is mine a fast little punk! :)

i'd say treat it like a normal T, and just keep an eye on it -- are there any other open cuts or sores? abdomen looks ok? Carapace looks ok? Fangs all there? cute little eyes look alright? if so, BUY THAT THING! ;)

good luck!
peace,
dave

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Baphomet

What are the long-term chances of this T's survival, and would anyone consider this a "waste of time" to nurse this rather ordinary T back to health?

Thanks for any input guys (and gals)! :)
Not at all a waste of time. The overwhelming probability, based on the situation you describe, is that the tarantula will fully regenerate both legs within the next molt or two and be as good as *new.* As far as long-term survival, it should live quite as long and happily as any other seemanni, all things being equal.

Joy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My second g. rosea was discount priced 'cuz she was missing a leg! Of course I snapped her up knowing that the leg would regenerate. The first molt it came back but it wasn't full size. The next molt, you couldn't even tell she had ever been missing one. Good save!

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Today while i was at the petstore I saw an Aphonopelma seemanni and from the looks of it, it had lost its 2 front legs on the right side and they had somewhat regenerated, they still didnt have the stripes on the legs but im guessing that after its next molt they will be back as good as ever. I would have bought it but I didnt have enough money because I just paid for my Irminia today that I get friday! but anyways just thougt I would say that cause it was weird to see that the same type of tarantula at a petstore here also had a couple legs missing at one point

TheDon

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Luckily the Aphonopelma seemani I received from Invertepet.com has all of her appendages. She has a killer appetite though.