Long Premolt

Tarantufantastic

Arachnopeon
Hi. I have an A. seemanni, probably late juvenile(?). She’s been having the typical growing bald spot on her abdomen for about 7 months. Is this an appropriate amount of time? She has been refusing food for a little over a month. Is there anything besides good humidity I can do to help her along?
Thank you!

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Bald spot is not an indication of a tarantula being in pre-molt.
Balds spots are created when a tarantula kicks off hair when defending itself - simply means that your T is either having no tolerance for any disturbances or that it's being bothered too much (Handling, frequent rehousing, frequent maintenance, lack of hide etc)
I havent had experience with an Aphonopelma seemani, so im pretty sure somebody will hop in with some tips on moisture, growth rates and whatnot.

Tarantufantastic

Arachnopeon
Thank you for replying! I’ve never held her and have never seen her kick hairs. She seems pretty content and relaxed. She jumps if I move her cage and accidentally startle her…

vicareux

A. geniculata worship cult member
Thank you for replying! I’ve never held her and have never seen her kick hairs. She seems pretty content and relaxed. She jumps if I move her cage and accidentally startle her…
They tend to also spread hairs around the enclosure to 'secure their territory' from potential intruders, so she may be loosing hair to that as well.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
She’s been having the typical growing bald spot on her abdomen for about 7 months.
That's not a sign of pre-moult, just that the tarantula has kicked hairs. When the bald patch begins to darken is when you know it's about to moult.

Is there anything besides good humidity I can do to help her along?
Just maintain normal substrate moisture and make sure there is water available. Increasing humidity beyond that provides no additional benefit.

and have never seen her kick hairs
They kick them off around their burrows/hides/webbing to deter any potential nasties from poking around. I've never seen my M. mesomelas female kick hairs but she's always rocking a bald patch not long after a moult

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Is there anything besides good humidity I can do to help her along?
The only thing you can do to help it is make sure that you are maintaining the moisture (not humidity) levels, are keeping the water dish full of clean water, and then sit back and just be patient not bothering it. It will molt when it is ready likely not before that! Welcome to the hobby of patience with Tarantulas 😃