Long molting time for sling

Nikke

Arachnopeon
Hey guys,

So here is the deal. My GBB sling started molting last evening 9pm my local time. And its still on going. Looks like its new exo is stuck from couple legs to the old one.
Started misting on premolt stage, so humidity shouldn't be the issue on this.

Should I start carefully try to help my buddy out?

For my experience molting time for slings should be something between 15min - 50min.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
My G. pulchra sling's most recent molt lasted for 8+ hours. Ts definitely do stuff on their own schedule. Without seeing it, I don't feel confident recommending intervention at this point. If I were in your shoes, I would just wait it out. Hopefully other users can provide some additional insight for you here. Best of luck!

Nikke

Arachnopeon
At this point im starting to get worried cuz its been lasting 20hrs.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Do not help it out, no. Can you post pictures? If the abdomen is free, then that's great news as it means that your spider won't suffocate. If the exuvia is only stuck on a few legs, then the spider will hopefully eventually remove them.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
At this point im starting to get worried cuz its been lasting 20hrs.
Whatever you do, dont mist this sp.

Keep an eye on it. There should be small movements over time if still trying to moult, which means its alive and this is good. IMO I think intervening during a moult does more harm than good.

If your specimen has its whole abdomen out of the old exo then this is a very good sign. The legs may need to go at some point though.

Could you provide a photo of your sling please?

Nikke

Arachnopeon
Sorry atm cannot provide pic.

Okay ill let the sling just be. Thanks for the support ppl.
Ill let you know how this ended.

Nikke

Arachnopeon
Sadly My GBB sling passed away. Abdomen was out, two legs where stuck on old exo.

Thank for the support.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Sorry about that, it's a terrible part of this hobby. Many times, there's nothing you can do to prevent a death.