Long lived true spiders.

Arachnomaniac19

Arachnolord
Are there any spiders that will live longer than a few years? Except for the more venomous species like Sicarius. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Are there any spiders that will live longer than a few years? Except for the more venomous species like Sicarius. Any and all responses are appreciated.
Kukulcania (crevice weavers) live for many years (and are harmless to people). Unlike most true spiders, the females continue to molt as adults.

In my area, we have Kukulcania hibernalis everywhere. The first two I kept were already gravid females when caught in April 2012. I have bred them each a couple of times since then, and they are still going strong almost five years later.

Normally, I just release my CB spiderlings, but I decided to keep a few to see how long it takes them to mature. They emerged in September 2013, and they still aren't fully grown.

There may be other long-lived haplogynes (the more primitive branch of true spiders) out there.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
im pretty sure trapdoors live as long as tarantulas. 15-20 years.
Most of the species commonly known as trap-door spiders are mygalomorphs. It sounds like the OP is interested in long-lived araneomorphs, since he used the term "true spiders."

That being said, there are certainly many long-lived mygalomorphs that aren't tarantulas.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I think--though I'm not at all sure--that most haplogynes are long lived.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think--though I'm not at all sure--that most haplogynes are long lived.
I wouldn't be surprised if many were -- I just have firsthand experience with the longevity of Kukulcania hibernalis, however.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Most of the species commonly known as trap-door spiders are mygalomorphs. It sounds like the OP is interested in long-lived araneomorphs, since he used the term "true spiders."

That being said, there are certainly many long-lived mygalomorphs that aren't tarantulas.
Good point.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have a K. arizonensis that I bought in 2009 and it's still going. Has only molted once in that time and I don't think she's full grown yet. K. hibernalis are very long lived as well. Most ctenids and I believe some lycosids will live for a couple years, so long lived for a lot of araneomorphs, but no where close to what the really long lived species can do. Eresidae (specifically Eresus) can live for several years too, though they're hard to get in the US hobby right now.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
*arizonica :p

Phidippus- may exceed 3 years if kept properly
Hogna/schizocosa/Tigrosa- May reach 5 years with proper care- increasing photoperiods and giving shorter dark periods will extend their lifespan
Dysdera- Natural lifespan may exceed 5 years, like many haplogynes
Pholcus- 3 years
Kukulcania- 10 years or longer
Huntsmans- 2+ years, olios can exceed 3

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Good helpful information. Anyone know how long the Sicarius species live for?

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
*arizonica :p

Phidippus- may exceed 3 years if kept properly
Hogna/schizocosa/Tigrosa- May reach 5 years with proper care- increasing photoperiods and giving shorter dark periods will extend their lifespan
Dysdera- Natural lifespan may exceed 5 years, like many haplogynes
Pholcus- 3 years
Kukulcania- 10 years or longer
Huntsmans- 2+ years, olios can exceed 3
I never was able to keep jumpers for over a year and a half. :sorry:

schmiggle

Arachnoking
I second this question, I've read 10 or more years for Sicarius. However, I've never kept one.