Long Distance move suggestions?

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Just wondering if there's any suggestions like maybe wrapping them and putting them in shipping style containers to prevent injury or if they will be fine on the road in their enclosures? I have 26 currently with new and old worlds with everything from slings to adults. Originally when I got out of the army we were just going to stay local in the house we rent currently but an opportunity has arisen that will have us moving from the Kansas region to North Carolina with a Uhaul and car when I get out. I'm mainly worried about bumps on the road making them fall etc. I was just going to load them into the cab of the van with me in their containers given they are acrylic and stack well in addition to locking but the more I think about it the more I worry about falls, bumps etc given there's easily over 2k worth of Ts in my collection and most I have raised since they were slings.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I'm coming here to listen, as I too will be moving out of the Midwest. I am going the other direction though (Utah).

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I drove from Nebraska to Nevada with a moderate collection - about half a dozen adults and juvies. I did nothing special for them other than remove anything that could adjust and fall on them (this was back when I decorated enclosures).

If I were to make the move today, I'd package them up. I wouldn't package them with paper towel and whatnot as if I were shipping them, though. I'd just put every spider into a deli cup that wouldn't allow much climbing or moving at all. If you've ever been to an expo, I would keep the tarantulas just like they're sold there. Poke plenty of airholes, put them all in a box lined with a blanket, and that's all. I'd keep them in the cabin of the car, not in the trunk, and with a blanket thrown over them as to avoid direct sunlight.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Nope pack them like your shipping them on a plane.. Paper towel lined deli containers of appropriate size.. People drive like morons and if you have to mash the brakes or worst case scenario get into an accident you could kill your Ts..

I'm moving from Florida to New York in late May. It's a pain but I have over one hundred Ts to pack like I'm shipping them. It sucks but I would rather do that my last day in Florida then unpack one dead T my first day in NY..

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Remember that white reflects sunlight. Dark soaks it in. You want white cloth or something light colored around the container that contains your T's during the trip if it will be in view of a window facing the sun.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Yeah, for that long of a trip I'd pack them up as well. I'd put them in a spot where the box wouldn't be in direct sunlight and I could open windows/vents to keep it the place it's in cool. I'd take them into the hotel room when (if) you stop for the night. I wouldn't open/feed/water anything in route. I also would not grab any new slings between now and then were it me.

Last edited:

WhyUBiteBite

Arachnosquire
Any good suggestions on a video tutorial? Ive never packed/shipped before, only unpacked but I always wonder how they make em into little spider burritos lol.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Best burrito maker I know of.. You don't have to go through all the trouble of using styrofoam and heat or cool packs but this is the basic guick and dirty of it. You can also use much bigger boxes obviously:rofl: