log hide

edmwh0re

Arachnopeon
hey! i am a fairly new tarantula owner, and i have an avic avic that is hiding under a log but has created a little webbing kind of closing himself in for the past week and a half. there’s a hole big enough for him to get in and out. i was just wondering if this is normal? if i should take the log out so he has no reason to be on the substrate? because i’ve read on these forums that it isn’t good behavior, but he’s active and eating, peeps out every once in a while. he has a nice stick he used to like to sit on top of and fake plants that he can climb.
but under the log i have seen him preen himself and he’s making the inside of the log very webbed. he seems normal but lacks the aboreal tendency. please let me know if you need pictures! and please let me know what you think.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Please post pictures of the entire set up and size of avicularia for reference. Sounds odd.

edmwh0re

Arachnopeon
i know it’s not perfect, but his behavior worries me. should i take the log out and add more things for him to climb on

Not perfect, but not “bad”. Now I’m confused on why it would be under its log hide. If it’s relatively new to the enclosure. Might just be place it deemed secure for an upcoming molt. I dunno...
he’s also been in the enclosure for about 3 months.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
After seeing the picture, I’d like to recommend rehousing to enclosure at least half the size you currently have.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
i know it’s not perfect, but his behavior worries me. should i take the log out and add more things for him to climb on
I’d personally leave log for now. Add vertical piece of cork bark, and add a lil more foliage up top. What’s the size of the tarantula? Too big enclosure could make it feel not secure.

edmwh0re

Arachnopeon
I’d personally leave log for now. Add vertical piece of cork bark, and add a lil more foliage up top. What’s the size of the tarantula? Too big enclosure could make it feel not secure.
he’s about the size of the palm on my hand

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I'd put the log vertically and add more folliage at the top for it to web in.

Also replace the mesh with acrylic because its a deathtrap.

could we see some pictures of the spider aswell, and some details on how you acquired it?
Usually an avic on the ground isnt a good sign.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
he’s about the size of the palm on my hand
Hmmmm... well... then I’m at a loss. If it’s normal and active, eating, etc... I wouldn’t over stress it. But that’s just me. However... I would make a few slight adjustments it the meantime. Might see a difference in behavior.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
In my experience T’s tend to be a little nervous in a new enclosure, especially if they are too small for the enclosure, however, I usually put my T’s in their mansion at about 2 inches, many may disagree with me on that too, but regardless that seems okay for me, and behavior of them hiding can be normal for a while, when I rehoused an Obt into its mansion it actually used a high piece of cork bark and webbed it which is a little unusual for them, but it ended up being in a premolt and molted there after, soon after that it did end up making a burrow at the bottom, it might just need time to get accustomed to its surroundings, the wood hide it has might be ideal for it currently in an unfamiliar place in premolt. Personally I wouldn’t worry, give it a couple weeks.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
i have an avic avic that is hiding under a log
what do you mean?
The tarantula is under that log, and all I can see is the log. I have no idea how large is your tarantula. About the size of the palm of your hand does not give me any clue at all.

To sum it up, I can safely say it is smaller than the log, thus, I also can safely say the enclosure is pretty large for it. Therefore I recommended you to rehouse it. It’s not a riddle at all.

edmwh0re

Arachnopeon
could we see some pictures of the spider aswell, and some details on how you acquired it?
Usually an avic on the ground isnt a good sign.
this is him! (i don’t actually know their gender yet, but for now i’m calling it a him)
and i got him from a small, trusted pet store in town, they also have lots of reptiles and salt water fish. they care about the animals, i was questioned before i left to make sure i was some dud.
E28479EE-8191-4399-BCF9-E6F3EDC88C01.jpeg

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I did a little copy & paste for you. Of course it is not completely accurate, but at least now I confidently can say the enclosure is large for it.

However, now that I know approximate size of your tarantula, I will not say it’s enclosure is too large, but it still is though, in my opinion.

I would either take out that log or place it vertically, then add more foliages for it’s hiding place, so it can feel more secure.

59B2DB6A-A762-4C2E-89B6-EACC021F8716.jpeg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hey! i am a fairly new tarantula owner, and i have an avic avic that is hiding under a log but has created a little webbing kind of closing himself in for the past week and a half. there’s a hole big enough for him to get in and out. i was just wondering if this is normal? if i should take the log out so he has no reason to be on the substrate? because i’ve read on these forums that it isn’t good behavior, but he’s active and eating, peeps out every once in a while. he has a nice stick he used to like to sit on top of and fake plants that he can climb.
but under the log i have seen him preen himself and he’s making the inside of the log very webbed. he seems normal but lacks the aboreal tendency. please let me know if you need pictures! and please let me know what you think.
Sounds like you have designed the interior not the best

After seeing pic I can see you haven’t.

Look at Avic container pics

Craig73

Arachnoangel
This is just my two cents, take it for what it’s worth or file 13 it.

The enclosure could go either way; mine tend to fair better in smaller enclosures, but I think you could do some simple adjustments that could help and make it effectively work.

I‘d replace the ’skinny’ branches with a cork bark round or flat that goes 3/4 of the enclosure height. This will give it some solid surface to feel secure. I’d also add some additional foliage, but not so that it’s incredibly dense. Appears yours is on the dense side, maybe spread it out so it’s more like a canopy in one section. Possible what you have just arranged differently will cover this. Lastly I would remove the ground hide completely. If it’s still actively eating it’s probably safe to say you’re not pending a molt like tomorrow.