Local pet store WC/CB regulations?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Let's say I want to go into my LPS and ask if the specimens are wild caught or captive bred...are there any regulations requiring them to disclose one way or the other? I'm sure it varies from state to state, but I'm not positive. The LPS down the street from my house (where I've rescued two tarantulas so far) doesn't even keep detailed invoices specifying the scientific names of the species they sell. They go only by common names, and most of the time they're way off. If the store doesn't keep those details, and the specimens are in fact captive bred, would they be allowed to not disclose the name of their supplier? I'm wondering if the two spiders I bought from there were wild caught and imported into the country. (H. lividum and E. murinus if you're wondering.)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure there is no regulations. Most likely they are wild caught. If you ask they're either gonna say "We don't know" or "they are captive bred."
If the specimens are adults you can pretty well guarantee that they are WC.

My local petco gets WC all the time.

I got a G. sp. "concepcion" for $20 labeled as a "True Zebra"

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I got a G. sp. "concepcion" for $20 labeled as a "True Zebra"
At least they didn't give you a false zebra.

All kidding aside, I was afriad there were no such regulations. I asked who their supplier was and they wouldn't tell me. I guess their logic was they didn't want customers bypassing them and going straight to the source.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At least they didn't give you a false zebra.

All kidding aside, I was afriad there were no such regulations. I asked who their supplier was and they wouldn't tell me. I guess their logic was they didn't want customers bypassing them and going straight to the source.
Well if you went straight to the source, you might get it for cheaper, but you're still gonna get unsexed mislabeled WC tarantulas with no guarantee.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well if you went straight to the source, you might get it for cheaper, but you're still gonna get unsexed mislabeled WC tarantulas with no guarantee.
Very true. I wasn't implying that I wanted to buy from that source, I was just thinking that would be the store's logic in not disclosing their supplier. I myself just want to get in touch with someone to confirm in fact the spicimens I bought are WC.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very true. I wasn't implying that I wanted to buy from that source, I was just thinking that would be the store's logic in not disclosing their supplier. I myself just want to get in touch with someone to confirm in fact the spicimens I bought are WC.
How much did you pay for them? What size?

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How much did you pay for them? What size?
The E. murinus seems to be full grown (going by what I've read on their maximum size) and looks very much like a female, but I'll have to wait on a molt for that. Paid $35 for that one. The H. lividum is about 3-3.25 inches DLS and I got that one for $50 if my memory serves me correctly. Both were bought to get them out of that hell hole. The conditions they were kept in were deplorable. Both obligate burrowers being kept on less than a full inch of wood-chip substrate with no water dish or anything. Maybe a plastic plant or something for decoration's sake.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd say the E. murinus was WC, but the H. lividum could've been CB.
The E. murinus is starting to worry me a little. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and there's a starter burrow in the corner of an enclosure with plenty enough substrate, but she won't burrow, opting instead to sit in another corner with the "legs over the eyes" look. I've seen it roam the enclosure, feel that there is in fact a burrow, start to descend then crawl right back out of it and continue walking around. It's more than a little frustrating because I want it to be as comfortable as possible.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
The E. murinus is starting to worry me a little. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and there's a starter burrow in the corner of an enclosure with plenty enough substrate, but she won't burrow, opting instead to sit in another corner with the "legs over the eyes" look. I've seen it roam the enclosure, feel that there is in fact a burrow, start to descend then crawl right back out of it and continue walking around. It's more than a little frustrating because I want it to be as comfortable as possible.
i just bought a H lividum for $40 at my LPS, its about 4+ inches so i belive its a WC female. And its doin the same thing your E murinus is doin, starter burrow in the corner

Last edited:

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does it have any sort of hide? Or just soil?

I had mine with a lot of peat, then even more peat banked on one said. After a week of nothing I gave her a half clay pot, over nigt it made a burrow between one side of the pot and wall.

Made it a nice new tank, almost the same thing happened. Ignored the beautiful premade and went straigt down in the corner behind the starter burrow I made.

paassatt

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Does it have any sort of hide? Or just soil?

I had mine with a lot of peat, then even more peat banked on one said. After a week of nothing I gave her a half clay pot, over nigt it made a burrow between one side of the pot and wall.

Made it a nice new tank, almost the same thing happened. Ignored the beautiful premade and went straigt down in the corner behind the starter burrow I made.
No, there is no hide. It's a type of enclosure best suited for a digger or an arboreal, so floor space is already limited. If I added a hide there'd be next to no room to move around. Seeing as how this species is an obligate burrower, I figured the height of the enclosure to allow for deep substrate was more of a priority than floor space.

Slimdean

Arachnopeon
is the soil too moist? maybe try put something over the borrow for cover to further add to the hiding spot. maybe post a pic of your enclosure and someone might be able to help.

alos found this last night in my isomniac haze. lots of insights.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jon3800

Good luck with your specimen. let us know how it goes

christian77

Arachnopeon
Remember, continuing to "rescue" T's from your LPS just encourages them to keep getting more since they are moving off the shelf, so to speak. It's a nice thing your doing to try and make them comfortable, but maybe try to educate them a little while your in there rescuing the next one. maybe what they bring in after that will have a little better suited enclosure.

DawgPoundSound

Arachnopeon
If you are going to places such as Petco or Pet Supermarket, it's usually a 95% or better guarantee the species are wild caught. If you're dealing with family owned or private Pet Shops many times they will have a local breeder/(s) who bring in many of their CB products. So it's a 50/50 or 60/40 chance of getting CB adults from these locations.

It all depends on where you're going and who they deal with.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My LPS seem to have given up restocking tarantulas (whether it's because they kept dying or they didn't move off the shelves I don't know). I have not seen one in my pet stores, even Petco, for years.

I guess it's a good thing. :)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No, there is no hide. It's a type of enclosure best suited for a digger or an arboreal, so floor space is already limited. If I added a hide there'd be next to no room to move around. Seeing as how this species is an obligate burrower, I figured the height of the enclosure to allow for deep substrate was more of a priority than floor space.
Might try changing it, there another thread where others mentioned their murinus burrowed in a more shallow setup:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=201680&highlight=murinus