Local P. met breeding project (help needed)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
day 1:

Mike just dropped off the male and we got him housed in my girls old enclosure.
Hes hanging out walking all around her old hide (good sign i assume).
Shes just chillin in her new larger enclosure thats going be for the cohab date nights to come.

I plan to let them just reside beside each other for a few days and hopefully we see a sperm web and hear some drumming.
I plan to begin the cohab on Tues if all goes well leading up to it as i will off work from then till the following Monday and will be able to be more attentive.

All that said, i will be updating this thread daily and/or as new events and questions arrise.

What i do need/want help with is future prep.
Im going to get deli cups obviously if she drops a sac so that is under control.
I am at a loss on an incubator though and videos, advice, PM's, really anything on the subject of incubators and pulling the sac is VERY welcomed. I dont wanna get ahead of myself BUT i want to be fully prepaired if/when it comes time.

Im going to try and find videos by @louise f as i have seen her discuss breeding/incubating many times and am sure she has plenty of quality vids but if anyone else has any info at this time it will be MUCH appreciated!!!!!!!!

What will be my 1st breeding attempt begins today!!!!

Last edited:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Male in her old smaller enclosure w/old hide.
Shes in the larger one settling in for the date they will have on Tues

Last edited:

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
I've paired a few and this is how I go about it. I usually pair a couple of months after the female molts. I feed her heavy for about a month and get her nice and fat. I also do as you have done and place the male next to her enclosure. I feed him and wait for a sperm web.
If the female is in a fresh enclosure I will place him in it on the far side of the female. Gives him time to tap and let her know he's in there and not food. If she's receptive she will tap and jiggle and move towards him. ( the jiggling is adorable)

Pairing should happen pretty quickly with a few attempts to get her in the right angle. If I see a pairing and good insertion I take him out. If not I will leave him in over night as long as the female looks receptive and tolerant of his presence. There's really no need to pair again if there was a good insertion. If you left them in over night and are unsure what happened. Be patient and see if the female plumps up in a couple weeks. If not try again.

If the female is in a old enclosure that she's been in for quite some time. I will use a neutral enclosure. IME the female can be quite defensive and not very nice to the male if she's been in an enclosure for quite some time. The whole thing becomes her hide not just the hole she's made so she's more defensive. In the neutral enclosure, add her first then him. Sit and wait for the magic to happen and again an overnight stay might be needed. Some males aren't great at their job righ off the bat lol. Some males tend to be greatly lacking in the * hey baby* skills.
Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I've paired a few and this is how I go about it. I usually pair a couple of months after the female molts. I feed her heavy for about a month and get her nice and fat. I also do as you have done and place the male next to her enclosure. I feed him and wait for a sperm web.
If the female is in a fresh enclosure I will place him in it on the far side of the female. Gives him time to tap and let her know he's in there and not food. If she's receptive she will tap and jiggle and move towards him. ( the jiggling is adorable)

Pairing should happen pretty quickly with a few attempts to get her in the right angle. If I see a pairing and good insertion I take him out. If not I will leave him in over night as long as the female looks receptive and tolerant of his presence. There's really no need to pair again if there was a good insertion. If you left them in over night and are unsure what happened. Be patient and see if the female plumps up in a couple weeks. If not try again.

If the female is in a old enclosure that she's been in for quite some time. I will use a neutral enclosure. IME the female can be quite defensive and not very nice to the male if she's been in an enclosure for quite some time. The whole thing becomes her hide not just the hole she's made so she's more defensive. In the neutral enclosure, add her first then him. Sit and wait for the magic to happen and again an overnight stay might be needed. Some males aren't great at their job righ off the bat lol. Some males tend to be greatly lacking in the * hey baby* skills.
Hope that helps. Good luck!!!!
Awesome pal, that sounds about exactly like i have prepped and am doing it so far!!!!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
No change yet, female chillin in the hide, male pacing the enclosure an staying close to her old hide

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
For incubator
Get a regular sized shoebox sterilite latchbox. Cut a 2"x4" hole on the top and hotglue fine mesh (can be bought at Walmart cheep) over the hole, be sure to seal it securely on the underside too. Then get a smaller latchbox, small enough to fit inside the shoebox, and cut the lid off entirely, so there is only the rim of the lid, pull a pantyho over the smaller box tight, tie off the end and trim, then replace the rim and latch on. This is your egg cradle.

Here are some photos of the whole setup. 14875311467511073874865.jpg 1487531179229-931116585.jpg 1487531179229-931116585.jpg

obie

Arachnosquire
For incubator
Get a regular sized shoebox sterilite latchbox. Cut a 2"x4" hole on the top and hotglue fine mesh (can be bought at Walmart cheep) over the hole, be sure to seal it securely on the underside too. Then get a smaller latchbox, small enough to fit inside the shoebox, and cut the lid off entirely, so there is only the rim of the lid, pull a pantyho over the smaller box tight, tie off the end and trim, then replace the rim and latch on. This is your egg cradle.

Here are some photos of the whole setup. View attachment 231999 View attachment 232000 View attachment 232000
Do you put anything else inside the cradle or just leave it empty.

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Do you put anything else inside the cradle or just leave it empty.
the cradle will get filled halfway with water to provide the direct humidity for raising healthy eggs/slings.

sorry i wrote that up quickly on my phone. some info i neglected to add including the above mentioned is to line the main box with 2 or 3+ layers of paper towel and mist thus whenever it dries out during the gestation. once you get 1st instars they will begin moving around a little more freely and the more adventurous will end up down there, so moistening it provides them with a source of humidity as well as some psuedo substrate.

something else that I prefer to do is to place the cradle on the opposite side as the ventilation such that the eggs/ slings are in the portion of the box that will have the micro climate. if you place them directly bellow the ventilation, depending on your locations climate/if you have a fan running or something in your room, they could potentially dry out.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
the cradle will get filled halfway with water to provide the direct humidity for raising healthy eggs/slings.

sorry i wrote that up quickly on my phone. some info i neglected to add including the above mentioned is to line the main box with 2 or 3+ layers of paper towel and mist thus whenever it dries out during the gestation. once you get 1st instars they will begin moving around a little more freely and the more adventurous will end up down there, so moistening it provides them with a source of humidity as well as some psuedo substrate.

something else that I prefer to do is to place the cradle on the opposite side as the ventilation such that the eggs/ slings are in the portion of the box that will have the micro climate. if you place them directly bellow the ventilation, depending on your locations climate/if you have a fan running or something in your room, they could potentially dry out.
Awesome!!!! And that reinforces what i saw in @louise f video the other nite!!!!!!

Much thnx to both of you for the info!

What do u do for temp in the incubator tho? From looking at both yours and hers, i dont see a heat source so do u just leave at room temp or select a more appropriate local to keep warmer?

Haksilence

Bad At Titles
Arachnosupporter
Awesome!!!! And that reinforces what i saw in @louise f video the other nite!!!!!!

Much thnx to both of you for the info!

What do u do for temp in the incubator tho? From looking at both yours and hers, i dont see a heat source so do u just leave at room temp or select a more appropriate local to keep warmer?
I keep my T room on a bell curve temperature simulating a regular day night cycle 72 at night 82 at peek. Anywhere you keep your T's will be fine, but I prefer just a touch warmer.

If you are a little on the cooler side and are worrying about temperatures, your best bet is a radiator style space heater/electric radiator heater. Don't get one of the ones that have a heating element and blow hot air, these dry out the air too fast. If you don't want to use a space heater and want more localized heat you can use a small heat pad.

WAIT WAIT! Hear me out.

If you choose to go this route you'll be using the pad for its radiating heat, not it's contact heat. The way you do this is simply place the pad underneath wherever you are putting your incubator and them place the incubator above the pad 2-4" above it, so there is no actual contact. I've done this in the past by placing the incubator on two rolls of packing tape to get the elevation.
I don't recommend this over a space heater, but it's far cheaper and does the same thing as a space heater in more localized setting. And if you're anything like 90% of the keepers here, you probably still have the heat pad the pet store clerk talked you into from the beginning :angelic:

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I keep my T room on a bell curve temperature simulating a regular day night cycle 72 at night 82 at peek. Anywhere you keep your T's will be fine, but I prefer just a touch warmer.

If you are a little on the cooler side and are worrying about temperatures, your best bet is a radiator style space heater/electric radiator heater. Don't get one of the ones that have a heating element and blow hot air, these dry out the air too fast. If you don't want to use a space heater and want more localized heat you can use a small heat pad.

WAIT WAIT! Hear me out.

If you choose to go this route you'll be using the pad for its radiating heat, not it's contact heat. The way you do this is simply place the pad underneath wherever you are putting your incubator and them place the incubator above the pad 2-4" above it, so there is no actual contact. I've done this in the past by placing the incubator on two rolls of packing tape to get the elevation.
I don't recommend this over a space heater, but it's far cheaper and does the same thing as a space heater in more localized setting. And if you're anything like 90% of the keepers here, you probably still have the heat pad the pet store clerk talked you into from the beginning :angelic:
Perfect and yea, we keep the house around 72 and the room i have the T's in is a bit warmer as its a smaller room w/the vent wide open. Should be fine it sounds like.

My only concern is when my wife swaps it from heat to AC lol i have to hurry an close the vent in that case lol. We live in Atlanta as was stated above so rite now the weather is awesome in the day but that leaves the house too warm at nite for us to sleep so she cuts the AC on lol

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Day 2:
Male has settled himself inside her old enclosure an looks quite comfy. She has now positioned herself outside her new hide on the glass rite beside the opening to the new hide.

No tapping/drumming yet. Both seem decently content

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I wouldn't attempt pairings until the female has been in her new enclosure for at least a month or two, to settle in.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't attempt pairings until the female has been in her new enclosure for at least a month or two, to settle in.
Hmmmmmmm will take that under advisement!!!!!
It def bucks the timeline and perhaps makes this no go but consider options as they are presented.
Onviously no telling how long the MM has left and shes already about 2 months post moult. I fear waiting another month or even 2 will put her too close to a moult (and moulting out rather then dropping a sac) to be worth risking the MM.

Hmmmmmmm

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
Pairing her around 3-4 months post-molt isn't setting yourself up for failure, its perfectly fine. If she's to drop a sac, she can postpone her molt for it : )

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Pairing her around 3-4 months post-molt isn't setting yourself up for failure, its perfectly fine. If she's to drop a sac, she can postpone her molt for it : )
Good news, i hear alot about them moulting out an this not laying so i was def thinking it was a "now or never" scenario w/this MM

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Still
No drumming (or at least not that i have caught lol).
Starting to get bummed she may not quite be mature :(
I knew going into it she was young an that was a possibility. Will give it another few days to see if he acts rdy and if not, will contact the owner an see if he can find a more "ready" female if i think mines still a little too young :(

louise f

Arachnoangel
Hey @Abyss. So sorry for the delay. My little son has been awful sick.!!
But i am happy you found my incubator tutorial useful, i can see you already got a lot of great help from good people <3 :)

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Hey @Abyss. So sorry for the delay. My little son has been awful sick.!!
But i am happy you found my incubator tutorial useful, i can see you already got a lot of great help from good people <3 :)
No worries, take care of the young 1.0 first!!!!!!!