Local NJ Inverts

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
Hey guys. I was wondering what interesting inverts are found in NJ. I was hoping to catch and breed some local inverts this spring and summer, and your input would be really helpful. The species don't have to already be established in the hobby. I could bring something new to the community. Thanks!

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I was going to say leeches, but then I remembered that the cast of “Jersey Shore” are already well established in the community.

Why are they still around?

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Uhh, heres some actually helpful information for you!

- Keep in mind that there are some laws about invertebrates, esp about traveling or shipping across state lines, such as isopods being illegal to ship to another state without a license.
- you can easily find what is local in your area by using inaturalist, and examining what has been sighted around you
- please do keep sustainability in mind when collecting from the wild! we have been getting hit hard in NJ by odd weather patterns and storms the past few years, so populations arent as high as they should be.
- feel free to message me

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Hey guys. I was wondering what interesting inverts are found in NJ. I was hoping to catch and breed some local inverts this spring and summer, and your input would be really helpful. The species don't have to already be established in the hobby. I could bring something new to the community. Thanks!
Oh geez! I am actually interested in this too! I am in rural sussex and I want to create a diverse bioactive with all the inverts that could live together

Uhh, heres some actually helpful information for you!

- Keep in mind that there are some laws about invertebrates, esp about traveling or shipping across state lines, such as isopods being illegal to ship to another state without a license.
- you can easily find what is local in your area by using inaturalist, and examining what has been sighted around you
- please do keep sustainability in mind when collecting from the wild! we have been getting hit hard in NJ by odd weather patterns and storms the past few years, so populations arent as high as they should be.
- feel free to message me
Do you know when it would be wise to go collecting? Currently seeing wasps making nests in my house. 🥲

egyptiancrow

Arachnobaron
Oh geez! I am actually interested in this too! I am in rural sussex and I want to create a diverse bioactive with all the inverts that could live together

Do you know when it would be wise to go collecting? Currently seeing wasps making nests in my house. 🥲
Basically depending on what youre looking for, when its been optimal weather for those particular creatures for 2 days in a row is the best time. Like for isopods or snails who like moisture, go when its been raining and damp. If youre looking for moths itll need to be dry, and nighttime preferably with a full moon for lighting/moth navigation. if youre looking for diurnal inverts, go when its been sunny for a few days. at this point there are few things, only the first creatures that come in spring. lots of animals have seasons where they are far more common... so it will depend a lot. but just keep going out when its the weather you think the bugs will like, and try different times of day. morning, noon, afternoon, evening... different things come out at different times. it can even vary area to area! youll learn a lot by exploring as much as you can with good light to see by, often!

ReleaseTheQuacken

Arachnoknight
Basically depending on what youre looking for, when its been optimal weather for those particular creatures for 2 days in a row is the best time. Like for isopods or snails who like moisture, go when its been raining and damp. If youre looking for moths itll need to be dry, and nighttime preferably with a full moon for lighting/moth navigation. if youre looking for diurnal inverts, go when its been sunny for a few days. at this point there are few things, only the first creatures that come in spring. lots of animals have seasons where they are far more common... so it will depend a lot. but just keep going out when its the weather you think the bugs will like, and try different times of day. morning, noon, afternoon, evening... different things come out at different times. it can even vary area to area! youll learn a lot by exploring as much as you can with good light to see by, often!
honestly all I am finding unwillingly are these black colored wasps breeding by the side of the house that gets heavily hit by the sun. Wasps only ever want to make nests there in areas that the sun hits directly. Its incredibly annoying, because I am a pansy. Haha. I really like the idea of making an ecosystem for just invertebrates in a largeish enclosure. Well relatively large.

FlamingSwampert

Arachnosquire
honestly all I am finding unwillingly are these black colored wasps breeding by the side of the house that gets heavily hit by the sun. Wasps only ever want to make nests there in areas that the sun hits directly. Its incredibly annoying, because I am a pansy. Haha. I really like the idea of making an ecosystem for just invertebrates in a largeish enclosure. Well relatively large.
Best spots are under wood things, like the wood cuttings in my lawn.

Snailientologist

Arachnosquire
I don't have much experience about NJ specifically but assuming its not too ecologically different from northern Pennsylvania, definitely don't underestimate porch lights. They've brought me mantises, click beetles, wood roaches, and even a few stag beetles. I also know from experience that NJ has nice black widows, if you're willing to be very careful.

Purplepuffball

Arachnosquire
From what I heard, there are three species of mantids- two are invasive, chinese and European mantises, the native one being Carolina mantises. There have been naturalist ids of narrow winged mantises but I'm unsure how true that is. There are a decent amount of cool roaches like parcoblatta... And also a variety of cool beetles...