Local centipedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
old

arguing getting old,back to topic.they have an insignificant bite.lets just leave it at that.nice pics choobaine.i have a small female clutching eggs in an underground burrow right now of this species.all 3 of u i respect as knowledgable pede keepers.why turn debate into a personal argument.
andy

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
hold on a moment, where is the difference between forcing them to bite and having them biting as they normally would?
Consider a hot stove, the sane person pulls their hand away as soon as they feel the burn, they don't leave it there burning till they can get a picture. Centipedes bite quickly and even if they try to hang on the usual reaction is to immediately fling them away rather than wait till the camera gets into focus. If a little centipede could make it though my skin I'd push if off immediately. Moreso for a big species of course.

you would have tried to bring action against me. as i said before...
I assume you're a young guy with minimal income and possessions, so suing you for libel would only be worthwhile if I felt you should learn a lesson. I think you're smart enough to understand your mistake.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
=\

While the discourse in envenomation and subsequent jabs back and forth between our resident experts is mildly entertaining at first and increasingly tiresome further in. I believe it has become a point neither side can agree on.
Both groups should agree to disagree, especially since this is also a continuation of past tensions.

Personally the one I picked up, while not a stone centipede, looks like its maxillipeds are quite sharp, though tiny and could penetrate my skin. I do not wish to try it out though. Maybe sometime I'll check it out.

Do these local centipedes have repugnatory glands? I would love to have a centipede that had eggs. I'm holding onto mine and feeding it some tiny B. dubia.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Consider a hot stove, the sane person pulls their hand away as soon as they feel the burn, they don't leave it there burning till they can get a picture. Centipedes bite quickly and even if they try to hang on the usual reaction is to immediately fling them away rather than wait till the camera gets into focus. If a little centipede could make it though my skin I'd push if off immediately. Moreso for a big species of course.

I assume you're a young guy with minimal income and possessions, so suing you for libel would only be worthwhile if I felt you should learn a lesson. I think you're smart enough to understand your mistake.

let me violate your stove ~analogy. the results of leaving your hand on a hot stove are quite well understood and no new data is really needful. but the bite power and results of various centipedes is not well understood. i mean, gosh, look at all the bad info YOU are handing out! so... this is just another example of one of your bad logic/stupid posts ;)

centiepdes sometimes bite and release quickly and sometimes bite and chew, driving their forciples into their target. if they bite and chew you need to have an ~"exit strategy" as they can embed their fangs pretty quickly to the point you actually need to pry them off. i have found placing a manipulating brush between the pede's head, forciples, and yoru skin and then rolling the brush towards each individual forciple to pull them out while doing as little damage as possible to the pede is the best bet

lol... sure orin. you know the man could lien me for just about the rest of my life if you won. or you should, if you had a reasonable amount of info about such things. i think you just spoke out of anger and realized you were utterly wrong and would take it ungreased from me if you came at me ;) i don't think i have ever learned a single thing from you, in point of fact ;) oh, except patience

and to all the er, social commentators... the point is this: the centipedes CAN give the OP a bite and it would possibly hurt a decent amount. for orin to totally dismiss that as a possiblity is grossly negligent on his part. to stand by his assinine position despite all obvious evidence to the contrary is... well... silly to say the least

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
7results of various centipedes is not well understood.
The stove analogy had to do with the difference between forcing a centipede to bite and a normal bite, not you pretending you're a scientist (speaking of stupid unrelated to the topic at hand posts you make).
Any info you collect is at best anecdotal.

You haven't made up another false quote to prove you haven't learned your lesson and you backtracked on the one you fabricated (of course I can't credit that to me since you had to because your lie is easily dispoven). A lien must be renewed and many employers don't accept garnishments. If you really attempted a frivolous contersuit it would at best not help you. Am I to believe you really have a jerry-springer understanding of the the law? I gave you a friendly warning. You aren't really trying to push me into doing something about your libel are you?

You've quoted my centipede information directly and indirectly many times (it is recorded online so no point in denying it) and just because you refuse to be civil doesn't mean you can't learn. I'm not angry but it would seem you're reading your emotions into me. Am I to understand you're sitting there with intense anger and not just debating a point? That would explain why you go off track so much (other people can read when you go off track and then chide me for responding to your off topic post pretending you're trying to stay on subject). I assumed your misdirection was something you did because you thought you were funny being a jerk not because your head was about to explode.:(

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
See now you've gone well off topic.
That's an emotional response I figure.
Your aruments cause more giggles than rage, I find.
You've still not actually gone out and tried or tested what we have said ourselves so you have no ground. The argument has mutated out of proportion, any time we prove a point you hide behind something else, it's not a good tactic.

As regards to accidental bite or forced bite - there's no difference, I've had both. A bite is a bite.
Hopefully you remember me saying I've had experience with this species my whole life. Yeah that I figure counts for something.

My advice is for you to stop now, this argument is no longer educational for anyone else and all you seem to be doing is having an e-tantrum. There are other places to discuss any other pains you may have.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Funny thing is the original topic is about Northeastern USA centipedes which I have collected extensively and also happens to be where I live. You live in Ireland and Caco lives in California right?
A bite is not a bite, read just a little on this board or in a book. You can even look back on cacos posts in this thread about dry bites.
Your profile says your 'whole' life including infancy is 18 years?

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I allready mentioned dry bites.
The entire point I was defending has been covered, I only fight for things I know about and am well versed in, unlike some people. I was fighting to prove that tiny stone centipedes can cause damage but if you want to go into species differences you can talk to caco. He's got the most experience on the matter.
So yes, I'm eighteen, and what of it?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
You've still not actually gone out and tried or tested what we have said ourselves so you have no ground.
I have picked them (northeastern USA species) up with my hands far longer than you've been alive and they try to bite but have no effect. How am I supposed to get them to bite me when they can't?

Last edited:

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
..., I only fight for things I know about and am well versed in, unlike some people.
You should be clear, are you talking about the terrible advice caco just gave on amblypigids, millipede feeding a little while back or something else he doesn't really keep? Caco was arguing with me about centipede reproduction as though he were an expert back when he later admitted he only hatched out a few polymorpha from wild females.

Last edited:

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we've allready gone through this, old lad, it's physically possible, it can happen, that doesn't mean it will. Great logic there though, nice try. ;)

If I don't want to be bitten and am carefully paying attention I will not get bitten, guaranteed.
I figure that's the same for all of us.

It's called... y'know, being careful.

or should I use your argument - well if I've got girl hands perhaps you've got big man hands? After all - I did say every single individual's skin is different, remember?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Your photos show evidence of some reaction but you haven't proven anything. Many people get skin reactions from touching crickets. It does feel like I'm repeating myself.

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good greif! We've covered that allready too. You ARE repeating yourself and you're repeating arguments that have allready been shot down.
You have nothing more to offer here and I've had enough of it myself. It's not going anywhere, you would be best advised to stop trying.

you should go have a nice nap now, I think you're getting tired.

Goodness, I think I'm going to do the same, doctors are trigger happy with needles and boy do they love their blood samples!

Goodnight y'all!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
oh poor orin. you did succede in giving me a slight headache from having to muddle through all your posts.

and i take it back, i did learn soemthing from you about mites... but centipedes? i really don't think so. feel free to cite :)

and, i still don't understand how you are arguing stone centipedes and other small centipedes can't bite when we have pics and have told you they can. You posts indicate quite pathological behaviour and an utter lack of logic and reasoning capabilities :)

Choobaine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All your arguements have been shot down. Stating something as a fact doesn't make it a fact.

It matters because in post #34 you claimed you had education and experience and at 18 both of those are short in supply.
Oi here we go. It's not a case of your word against mine, it's a case of your word againt the obvious. That kind of "yes it is, not it isn't" attitude is in no way productive.
All these years you have on me aren't helping you, Orin.

Anyway I'm done here.
It's become apparent learning isn't going to come out of this, it will only get mucky from here on.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Moderator's Note

Just a reminder that while you are free to disgree with someone's ideas, you may not attack them personally because of it.

Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

Becca

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
when we have pics and have told you they can.
Try reading post #2. It said they couldn't bite through normal human skin. The skin on your hands is normally 2 to 4mm thick depending on the area and the person. None of the photos so far show any actual penetration, just a little pede trying to bite. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that the red bumps actually has something to do with the pictured pede but at this point I'm not even sure that can be believed. It seems you would be just as glad to have a big centipede bite you as prick yourself with a pin to prove your point.

Do you want me find all the times you've quoted my centipede info? I'd rather wast my time with a lien against a poor guy though neither sound like a great use of time.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Try reading post #2. It said they couldn't bite through normal human skin. The skin on your hands is normally 2 to 4mm thick depending on the area and the person. None of the photos so far show any actual penetration, just a little pede trying to bite. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that the red bumps actually has something to do with the pictured pede but at this point I'm not even sure that can be believed. It seems you would be just as glad to have a big centipede bite you as prick yourself with a pin to prove your point.
as i recall, you are the only one who has apparently made up experts and then when called on it and challenged about it failed to manifest them. my honesty and integrity has never been called into question :) and... did you forget that piercing all the way through to subdermal tissues is not necesary for envenomation? obviously you did... good thing i am here to correct you :) your skin is chock full of capilaries. those are little teeny tiny blood vessels in case you didn't know or conveniently forgot ;) as long as a venomous creature can push through the top ~0.1mm of dead tissue you are goign to get envenomated. either into a cap or into the tissue itself. either way... you are evenomated. case in point? jellyfish. their pneumatocysts spears are so tiny that they are not long enough to go through nylons. and yet... thousands of ppl a year get stung by jelly fish. want to keep arguing from a truly insane position or are you goign to be a big boy and admit youare wrong?

and all the photos showed penetration. ifyou are not familiar enough or clever enough to see it, that is your problem. but i can clearly see the heavily sclerotized tip of the forciple underneath/in the skin. if you don't know what to look for i would be happy to elaborate and educate you some. but flat out you are wrong and posting to the contrary is purely idiotic. par for the course, but purely idiotic none-the-less ;)

Do you want me find all the times you've quoted my centipede info? I'd rather wast my time with a lien against a poor guy though neither sound like a great use of time.
in other words... you tried to and couldn't ;) as i said, i learned a bit about mites from you. i have learned about millipedes from you... but centipedes? not that i recall. i'll paypal you $0.25 if you can produce a reasonable cite that is either a direct quote of me from your book or something of your original research that i allude to. things that won't cut it are common knowledge that you digested out of Lewis or whatever to include in your book, as i have read just about all the stuff you cited before i got your book :)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
as i recall, you are the only one who has apparently made up experts and then when called on it and challenged about it failed to manifest them.
Your recollection is another fabrication. Good thing you added as 'you recall' to that one so it wasn't another flat out lie.
You may be thinking that I didn't offer the name of the taxonomist who did the diplopod identifications but it is written in the book.
i'll paypal you $0.25 if you can produce a reasonable cite that is either a direct quote of me from your book or something of your original research that i allude to.
Make it $20 and I'll help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.