Lizard with gills and lungs?

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I no nothing about reptiles but today I was at a reptile expo and I saw a lizard with gills AND lungs. :? Does anyone know WTH this is. They had these long beard looking things around their neck.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Probably an axolotl or a large salamander nymph. Amphibian, not reptile though.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are amphibians that almost never reach adulthood or maturity...most never do in captivity, mine did! I owned an albino one for nearly I believe it was 6 years, during the last 2 it shed its gills and spent most of it's time on a rock half out of water. they are very hard to keep unless you think hand feeding every time on the end of a popcicle stick is easy. I also have him tattooed around my ankel. {D

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They are amphibians that almost never reach adulthood or maturity...most never do in captivity, mine did! I owned an albino one for nearly I believe it was 6 years, during the last 2 it shed its gills and spent most of it's time on a rock half out of water. they are very hard to keep unless you think hand feeding every time on the end of a popcicle stick is easy. I also have him tattooed around my ankel. {D
Why don't they reach maturity? Are they just not very hardy?

RoachGirlRen

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They're plenty hardy and can be very long lived. However, they exhibit neoteny - retaining juvenille characteristics even when sexually mature. Typically only larval salamanders have the gills you see in adult axolotls.

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Probably an axolotl or a large salamander nymph. Amphibian, not reptile though.
so axolotl's are baby salamanders? or are they a different thing i was told salamanders and axolotl's are different animals

jere000

Arachnosquire
so axolotl's are baby salamanders? or are they a different thing i was told salamanders and axolotl's are different animals
An axolotl is a species of amphibian not a salamander in it's larval stage.

Athelas

Arachnopeon
Neoteny is generally a change in development such that some characteristics do not reach the ancestral adult form. If it confers a selective advantage, the trait can potentially become so common that it becomes the new norm. The axolotls are sexually mature at adulthood, so clearly part of the body plan remains ancestrally adult. External gills would provide an advantage if you are a large salamander who stays in the water after adulthood, I suppose.

Neoteny may have played a role in the evolution of some human characteristics, such as retaining the infant-like characteristic of not having yet grown in a thick pelt of body hair. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interested in animal behavior? Visit The Birds and the Bees: Things you were
afraid to ask about the secret lives of animals. http://bird-n-bee.blogspot.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------