lizard toe fungus or infection... i need help!

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
here are some pictures. any advice ASIDE from taking it to the vet, because I don't know if i can afford that.

I was doing a search for it on google and i can find much on it. it's only affecting one of its toes. I keep the cage very clean and i always pick up after them every morning... within 1-2 hours after they poop. this is V. tristis, I keep them on calcium sand, dry, with a water dish and 40 - 50 percent humidity.
basking area at 115 F and cooler side at 80 F

Last edited:

eruheru

Arachnopeon
I've heard that you can use witch hazel to treat fungal infections in lizards with a q-tip or cotton swab.

Alejandro45

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That does not look good. The toes on the other one look bad aswell.

You should change out the sand for regular dirt. At least two ft deep of regular dirt. Increase the hotspot to 150 and make sure the cool side is not above 80.

You should soak him in warm water "85 degrees" for about twenty minutes every day. He still might lose his toes.

Incorporate hollow logs in your setup as well.

V.tristis is a great ssp to start with.

Also check out varanus.net there is some seasoned monitor keepers there.

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for all the input, BUT it was only that toe that is bad, all the other ones are fine... trust me. i inspected them all very closely. they are babies, so i don't keep them that hot, just around 115 to 120 F at most.

i used a q tip to put some antibotic on it. i was told by someone else that it was probably caught and broken. it is likely that that area is rotting away and will eventually fall off :(.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I deff think it was just broken. They could be climin an slide off an geta toe stuck in a small crevis. Iv seen my old iguanas do it. His to lookd like that. I showed my dad the pic to and he said the exact same thing I thought. I dont think it will lose it but It might look like that perm or look normal after a few sheds.