Living in fear that all will end someday

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hi!

I've been absent from the boards for quite a few months, so I reckon it's time for me to lay upon you some heavy existential questions :p

I was just wondering if any of you also have thoughts like; "what if T keeping as a hobby gets banned due to some laws or PETA or due to endangerement or something along these lines." T keeping is already forbidden in some countries in Europe which makes me worry just a tiny bit.

Like a lot of you, T keeping for me is really something that brings me a lot of joy in this world and I literally cannot imagine life where I am not able to check on those little buggers when I get home from work or just randomly during the day. This is something so intertwined with my life that I can't imagine not being able to keep them. I know, I know: "enjoy every moment while the hobby lives and keep the good memories when it stops." But! I don't wanna stop :D I know this is a whiny amateur thread, but it helps me get through such thoughts or just provides me with reality check :p

Any of you have similar fears for the future?

Jeff23

Arachnolord
There are already cases where people get wrongfully bullied or threatened, investigated, etc. for exotic animals here in the states even though they may have all permits and be within constraints of the law. In most of these cases the victim was arrested or investigated for something unrelated and the news media exposed them falsely as a freak. In the meantime these same people spreading their biases and hate are willing to eat you name it in restaurants where the food was collected or grown in all kinds of methods that might be harmful to the survival of the species (this includes plants and animals).

I am with you on the fears. This is why I think it is critical for us hobbyist to be fully on board with following laws and obtaining LB instead of WC any time possible.

EDIT* Modified for inclusion of plants that are disappearing from the planet.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
No. I definitely wouldnt live in fear over a hobby regardless. If they made tarantula collecting illegal I would get turtles or something. I strongly doubt any of that would come to pass, which makes anxiety about it pointless and unnecessary.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
No. I definitely wouldnt live in fear over a hobby regardless. If they made tarantula collecting illegal I would get turtles or something. I strongly doubt any of that would come to pass, which makes anxiety about it pointless and unnecessary.
I get you, but my mind makes wonders when it comes to something I unconfitionally love or love to do ><

Jeff23

Arachnolord
It isn't like the fear causes harm to my life or makes me live life as a paranoid schizophreniac. I would just call it a motivation in insuring I don't do things that create the wrong image to people who have no interest in tarantulas.

But keep in mind that you can't keep turtles either. The turtle police are right behind the tarantula police.:troll:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Honestly I do not fear it at all, because I know this online community as well as two others will push back and fight for our right to own these fantastic creatures. Here is a good topic of argument: the vital role hobbiests play in keeping endangered species alive and increasing population with each sac produced. Tarantulas are actually safer with hobbiests because they have better chances of survival and their offspring will do so as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, if there's a group of douche that really had that poop-storm in Europe we are us, Eye-talians :-s

Here arachnids (all arachnids) were completely banned since 2003 and still today (while the situation is better) is a 'grey zone' but see if someone give a F-Word :kiss:

Watch this Homer's classic replacing fish with T's and "under the sea" with "under the table" :cigar:

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Honestly I do not fear it at all, because I know this online community as well as two others will push back and fight for our right to own these fantastic creatures. Here is a good topic of argument: the vital role hobbiests play in keeping endangered species alive and increasing population with each sac produced. Tarantulas are actually safer with hobbiests because they have better chances of survival and their offspring will do so as well.
i agree but the counter argument could be that many species bred in the hobby not pure

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Ah ah, if there's a group of douche that really had that poop-storm in Europe we are us, Eye-talians :-s

Here arachnids (all arachnids) were completely banned since 2003 and still today (while the situation is better) is a 'grey zone' but see if someone give a F-Word :kiss:

Watch this Homer's classic replacing fish with T's and "under the sea" with "under the table" :cigar:

Well as long as there are no extreme punishements for breeders I dont really care, but when they become severe, the Ts will get rare and the prices will go over the roof ><

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Well as long as there are no extreme punishements for breeders I dont really care, but when they become severe, the Ts will get rare and the prices will go over the roof ><
Then 'be' the breeder my man, and start doing like Eye-talians in N.Y Little Italy of back then did: 'Black Hand' ops, I mean 'Black Leg-IV' :-s

Bensonhurst! :cigar:

boina

Lady of the mites
Several of the federal states of Germany are already restricting tarantula keeping - I think Poecilotheria, Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra and a few others are banned. Luckily the state I live in allows all of them. (For those that don't know: Germany is a federal republic like the US of A). But I'm with @14pokies here - if they start restricting T keeping where I live I would still be keeping them and hope for the best...

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Several of the federal states of Germany are already restricting tarantula keeping - I think Poecilotheria, Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra and a few others are banned. Luckily the state I live in allows all of them. (For those that don't know: Germany is a federal republic like the US of A)
Who are those 'rebel' Länder/s? :)

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Isnt it funny that the most restrictions are in ex faschist countries :p
Ah ah, actually during the KOI (Kingdom Of Italy) Fascist era no one 'stormtrooped' the Doria Museum of Genova that always was into arachnids (Tamerlan Thorell was here for study).

My Aunt was in Mogadiscio (and in other colonies of the area) for work and Fascists loved to 'play' with snakes on daily basis, go figure.

Who banned arachnids here was the mafioso/lazy/corrupted D(i)emocracy called "Italian joke Republic", for nothing, on a normal annoying day :)

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
It isn't something I fear, I mean, I lived quite a while without tarantulas. But it would be a bummer.

It is also one of the primary reasons handling is frowned upon here. The fewer people bitten, the less the chances of a ban being instituted. A lot of people just don't get that, though. This particularly applies to the hotter species, but what many people do not realize is that to the general public, and more worrisome, to most lawmakers, all tarantulas are created equal.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
It isn't something I fear, I mean, I lived quite a while without tarantulas. But it would be a bummer.

It is also one of the primary reasons handling is frowned upon here. The fewer people bitten, the less the chances of a ban being instituted. A lot of people just don't get that, though. This particularly applies to the hotter species, but what many people do not realize is that to the general public, and more worrisome, to most lawmakers, all tarantulas are created equal.
You're right, one child getting hospitalized from a bite from one of the hotter species could be enough to cause problems in that area if not the whole country. Like others said, I would still keep them but I would rather not have to deal with that.