Live plants in T enclosure. Fertilizers ?

vounti

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone,

Today I bought some plants. I got a english ivy (Hedera helix) and a spider plant (Chlorophytum sp.)

I know they probably contain chemicals since I bought them in a local flower shop. I'd like to get them inside some tarantula enclosures. Of course not right now. Also, they are in typical dirt that I wouldn't use for inverts. I didnt check the bag but Im sure they're not safe

I read on the internet that Chlorophytum absolutely needs fertilizers to thrive. Is that true ? I searched on AB and found nothing about that

Also, when I'll want to introduce them into T enclosures, what's the procedure to have totally safe plants ? Can I just wait a few month for the chemicals to disappear ?

Edit: I won't introduce the plant itself but I'll cut some parts to get a new miniature plant with roots that had not been in contact with "bad" dirt

dman13760

Arachnosquire
You're definitely going to want to make sure your plant's needs match the husbandry requirements of the particular T you're going to house it with; make sure your T is getting what it needs first, and foremost! It's generally recommended to set up the enclosure and allow the plant to get settled well before (a month or more) adding your spider.

As far as preparing plants, I have found this site helpful:

Best of luck!

vounti

Arachnoknight
Very helpful website! I already thought of installing everything before the rehouse to make sure the plant settles in before having an animal inside. Thank you very much

Of course I will make sure the plant is good with the T. Even if the plant dies or dries out, I still have the mother plant. In that scenario, the T health is 100% more importznt than the plants

I'll use the ivy and a Pothos I stole from my mom for Pokies and Psalmo

Might use the spider plant for drier species like GBB and/or Caribena. Could die very soon because of webbing but I might do it as an experience

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Few plants will be happy without any fertilizer, though keep in mind that the tarantula poop will provide a little bit. My bigger concern, especially with the spider plant, would be that, unless you have a false bottom, most T enclosures have no drainage. There's a reason people use pothos--it doesn't mind having wet feet.

vounti

Arachnoknight
Alright that's interesting. I'm new to plants and don't have much experience.
I'll experience and try stuff and always make the cricket test just in case. Thank you for these informations

liquidfluidity

Arachnoknight
20210402_083247.jpg This is my test enclosure. I'm testing which plants and mosses will thrive in the atmosphere I need to ideally keep my T. apophysis. The ones that thrive will be used in it's final enclosure. I do not and will not use fertilizers. It's bioactive so theoretically, the break down of moss and leaf litter should help that. I am also using specialized lighting. It's faired very well. The lights are completely programmable so there's a bit of a learning curve.