Live plants in a GBB tank?

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this idea. I was looking at my tank and I got the feeling that a purple plant would look great in there. My female is housed in a 20 gal so there is PLENTY of room in there but the 1thing im concerned about are the humidity from the plant. Have ya'll ever done a live plant in a GBB ( or a T. that needs to be dry ) tank and if so what are some good ideas on types?

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd go with a succulent like aloe vera or jade plant, they don't need much water. Be prepared for whatever plant you use to get webbed up and die.

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have fake plants in my GBB enclosure and they are covered with web. It would be a shame to disturb or destroy it's web to remove a dead plant or dead leaves.

Humidity created by watering the plant may pose issues for a spider that prefers it on the dry side.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I have fake plants in my GBB enclosure and they are covered with web. It would be a shame to disturb or destroy it's web to remove a dead plant or dead leaves.

Humidity created by watering the plant may pose issues for a spider that prefers it on the dry side.
Dito. Two things that can be avoided by use of a fake plant.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
use spineless or soft spined cacti. they dont need much water, wont die if they get webbed over, etc. etc. there are a few flowering cacti you could use if color is what you are after.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What about those air plants? I see them at the reptile shows all the time and have been tempted to get them for some of my drier and/or arboreal species, but was never sure about their toxicity. Anyone ever try them? I can't imagine they would cause a problem since they are everywhere in the rainforests where species like Avics live. But I think the water they require is minimal so might work for GBB.

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
use spineless or soft spined cacti. they dont need much water, wont die if they get webbed over, etc. etc. there are a few flowering cacti you could use if color is what you are after.
I think that most of the cactus need good lighting (sun) to live healthy. Although I don't know too much about them so I could be wrong :rolleyes:

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that most of the cactus need good lighting (sun) to live healthy. Although I don't know too much about them so I could be wrong :rolleyes:
some do some dont. i keep my spiders on large racks with screen lids and a long florescent UV light strip over the row of tanks and it provides more than adequate light for all of the different plant species that i have in my spider tanks. but there are TONS of cacti that can do just fine with out anymore than a normally lit room. most cacti that you pick up at lowes, home depot, etc. are this way. i have 2 cacti on my desk at work (no window) and they are growing and are quite healthy.