Live plant threats in enclosure??

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
So today I finally took a big step I had been wanting to and bought a handful of live plants and carefully planted them inside a couple T enclosures.

In hindsight as in, right now it hit me, can these plants be treated with toxic fertilizer or pesticides? I didn’t even consider that until now, after I planted them, I don’t want to immediately go and tear apart the T’s new homes right after already forcing something new inside, but if it can hurt them I will indeed do so.

Does anyone have some personal experience on that? I bought them from a indoor plant store with hundreds of plants and the like, I wouldn’t think they would be sprayed with pesticides but I am worried. Thanks again guys

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Yes more than likely they are treated with fertilizers and residual pesticides.
Good job!

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Rinse all the old soil away every bit from the roots. I would give them a rinse in a 10% bleach solution. Rinse well. Replant in clean, organic, additive free soil for a few months to make sure all the pesticides are gone.

Irithyllian

Arachnosquire
Rinse all the old soil away every bit from the roots. I would give them a rinse in a 10% bleach solution. Rinse well. Replant in clean, organic, additive free soil for a few months to make sure all the pesticides are gone.
Got it

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Remove them- can’t imagine they aren’t treated

sasker

Arachnoprince
I recommend growing your own cuttings in clean soil. Pothos works great for this. These plants do well in terrariums, until your tarantula one day decides that enough is enough, and destroys every last plant you put in there :grumpy:

Here is a link that might help:

Sterls

Arachnobaron
Okay I’ll pull them out, how do you guys treat the plants for safe use in an enclosure?
Growing your own / replanting & quarantining until you're confident any contaminants are gone is one option. But personally I'd recommend just buying straight from a supplier that grows specifically for exotics/vivariums. There's a number of good vendors - I'm going to list a couple I know but they might get censored by the mods. If so, feel free to DM me for their names: NEHerp, Biodude.