Live food Care

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
I've recently bought some crickets and dubia roaches and placed them in a 8.3 litre air-tight tub. It's not the security that I'm concerned about; as I have placed metal mesh under the lid and they're incapable of climbing. I'm more so concerned about mold I have found in there, after housing them in there for a week! I only provide them with a water dish and a sponge, as well as apple pieces and wheat. Does anyone believe that adding substrate and then spring tails will prevent this issue?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've recently bought some crickets and dubia roaches and placed them in a 8.3 litre air-tight tub. It's not the security that I'm concerned about; as I have placed metal mesh under the lid and they're incapable of climbing. I'm more so concerned about mold I have found in there, after housing them in there for a week! I only provide them with a water dish and a sponge, as well as apple pieces and wheat. Does anyone believe that adding substrate and then spring tails will prevent this issue?
The container needs to be ventilated. If it's airtight, you will have problems with mold because all the moisture from the water dish, food, and whatever is in the substrate will be trapped.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
You can keep dubias with no sub. Also, you really don't need a dish. If you feed them nice, moist food like you are doing and mist the sides, then that would work. There is also roach chow somewhere on the internet that they love, as well as water crystals that won't have them drown. Just give them eggcrates and that is all they need for both crix and dubias. Heat mats work well for roaches too, if you want them to breed faster. Pretty simple, just getting mine started up recently as well. A few months ago, I kept them with sub and an almost airtight container. It got so bad I had to restart because of mite infestations and mold. Just punch a lot holes in the top and it should help ;)

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
Thanks, I've only got a centipede, so don't require constant breeding. I arleady have a few egg crates in there, so I'll just remove the dish and spray the enclosure instead. I'll also add more holes into the lid.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Thanks, I've only got a centipede, so don't require constant breeding. I arleady have a few egg crates in there, so I'll just remove the dish and spray the enclosure instead. I'll also add more holes into the lid.
If you live on your own or have an understanding partner you could do what I do with my large live food tub. Keep it in the bath with the lid off. Stops any build up of moisture.

ShyTeddyBear98

Arachnosquire
I would, but I'm afraid my mother would be reluctant in doing so. She has arachnophobia; hence why I only own a centipede. I recognise you from YouTube! Keep up the great content.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I would, but I'm afraid my mother would be reluctant in doing so. She has arachnophobia; hence why I only own a centipede. I recognise you from YouTube! Keep up the great content.
That's a pity. And it's usually those that are alright with spiders that find centipedes a hit too much.

Cheers.

Soulhavok

Arachnopeon
With crickets and most live food you don't mist, spray or soak them. This can cause a mold outbreak and kill them all in a day if it's bad.

Best thing to do is put them in a spacious container. As many holes as you can make in the lid. Offer them vegetables such as carrot this is where they get moisture from. In my container I used aspen shavings as this helps keep it dry and they don't lay eggs in it. My crickets last a long though me using this method. Roaches are kept the same way just substrate at all is placed in so I can vacuum the poop out easy.

Crickets need to be kept dry as possible just the carrot is all they need.