Live cacti in blue death feigning beetle enclosure is it dangerous?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Hello All,

So I recently bought a ten gallon tank and moved my 7 beetles over from their much smaller tank. While designing the tank I saw this cool looking cacti. I'm not very hopeful that it's going to last but the sticker said indirect indoor lighting or shaded sunlight and only water when thoroughly dry so it did sound easy enough. I have a sand and walnut shell mixture and I just buried the whole plastic pot with contained soil into the mixture. Afterwards I was thinking about it (I know nothing of plants) and started wandering if it is common for them to put insecticide onto the plants and if that will kill my beetles? Have any of you successfully included live plants into your beetle enclosures? I'll try and post a picture of what I came up with in a few minutes as well. I'm trying to also keep enough sand at the base of the cacti so the lip of the plastic pot doesn't show while leaving enough room for me to be able to water it when it dries out.

Thanks for any help!

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Anything store bought will have definitely been sprayed with some sort of insecticide, so you'll want to pull it and give it a good hosing down.

bugboi69

Arachnopeon
when i had blue death feigning beetles, i had a live succulent in their tank. it was grown by me. they really liked their little plant... until i accidentally killed it. lol. i say go for it! it'd be a great addition to the tank, but make sure to rinse it off really well in the case that you're not sure if pesticides were used on it.