Little white “eggs look-alike” in Scolopendra’ s excrements

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,
I’m hoping you could help me resolve this mystery.
Has anyone of you ever experienced something like this in the picture with your Scolopendra’s feces?
If you need any other info let me know pls.
P.S.: it’s a Scolopendra sp Subspinipes Dehaani Vietnamese yellow leg.

@NYAN @Chris LXXIX @cold blood @basin79 @Staehilomyces @Galapoheros
Please guys ...any idea , opinion, consideration, anything at all that could aventually lead to a possible solution ...I’m afraid could be parasitic mites o nematodes eggs and ending killing my scolopendra .
Again guys please and thank you for any help.

Attachments

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've personally never seen that before but then again I've not looked for it with mine.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you soon.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Since you are from Italy (according to your profile) I have replied to you via PM, in Italian.

My guess is, most likely, your 'pede was gravid but the whole thing didn't ended well. I think this more than mites.

Last edited:

Polenth

Arachnobaron
Please guys ...any idea , opinion, consideration, anything at all that could aventually lead to a possible solution ...I’m afraid could be parasitic mites o nematodes eggs and ending killing my scolopendra
I don't keep centipedes, but they're not parasitic mites (they'd be on the centipede and look like mites... they'd have legs and other features) or nematode eggs (they're tiny, not like these). The vast majority of posts where people think they have parasites are not. It's almost always something else.

They do look like eggs from a bigger animal, so most likely from the centipede.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Update:
I resexed the pede this morning to make sure I didn’t get it wrong the first time. From the picture and pictures that I’ve seen around I think I’m pretty sure it’s a male. I can clearly see the gonopods sticking out the reproductive organ. What do you guys think??
So back to the topic..if its a male definitely can’t be his eggs, then what the hell could that be??
By the way he keeps defecating this little bright white spherical things. I’ll post a new picture as soon as he does it again.
Guys thanks again as always for your precious help!🤟

Attachments

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Update:
I resexed the pede this morning to make sure I didn’t get it wrong the first time. From the picture and pictures that I’ve seen around I think I’m pretty sure it’s a male. I can clearly see the gonopods sticking out the reproductive organ. What do you guys think??
So back to the topic..if its a male definitely can’t be his eggs, then what the hell could that be??
By the way he keeps defecating this little bright white spherical things. I’ll post a new picture as soon as he does it again.
Guys thanks again as always for your precious help!🤟
Yup definitely a Male. Not sure what’s in his feces, but definitely can’t be eggs. Is he still behaving normally?

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
He is. Eating and hiding...but is getting a tiny little light brown spot at the end of its 6th and another a little bigger on its 7th...towards the end of the segment where usually darker stripes are. I’m sure parasitic mites will come out that spot soon enough like in the old post Matt man previously posted.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
He only always had dubias so it must been one infected. I’ll be probably better buy a dose of crix and get rid of the dubias I have??
The problem is how the hell will I fix his health??

Polenth

Arachnobaron
He is. Eating and hiding...but is getting a tiny little light brown spot at the end of its 6th and another a little bigger on its 7th...towards the end of the segment where usually darker stripes are. I’m sure parasitic mites will come out that spot soon enough like in the old post Matt man previously posted.
The other thread is not saying that parasitic mites burst forth from inside. The parasitic mites live on the outside and attach to the outside. If the brown spots are mites, you will be able to look and see that they are mites. They will be a blob with mouthparts towards the centipede and short legs. Take a photo and post it here if you see mites but are unsure if they're parasitic.

If all you can see is discolouration, that'd make me think a fungal infection is more likely. Drying things out can help that and you can treat spots with athlete's foot cream.

That leaves the possible eggs. The obvious thing to do is place them in a pot with some of the substrate, make sure there are some small ventilation holes, and watch what happens.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
I checked the pede when I sexed him and there’s no mites on it or anywhere in the old enclosure. I left the old substrate in it to see if mites will eventually develop. I rehoused pennywise in a smaller enclosure so I can keep moist under control a bit better in case it’s a fungal problem. Will see how it goes I’ll keep you all updated on these eggs lookalike.
You can clearly see in the pic the light brown spots on the segments.
Guys thanks...as always!!😊

Attachments

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,
Update: I kept checking him. The light brown discoloured spots are still there unfortunately as per picture. Moisture is bit lower than normal. Hopefully he’ll recover.
For the excrements with eggs lookalike, still doing it, I took a sample and put it in a little dose box with soil and ventilation holes near a heat spot. Curious to see if anything will ever come out these eggs! C129C377-636B-48BB-8298-547420C1759A.png

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Hi guys,
Update: I kept checking him. The light brown discoloured spots are still there unfortunately as per picture. Moisture is bit lower than normal. Hopefully he’ll recover.
For the excrements with eggs lookalike, still doing it, I took a sample and put it in a little dose box with soil and ventilation holes near a heat spot. Curious to see if anything will ever come out these eggs! View attachment 371769
Yeah I don’t believe there’s much else you can do for it besides continuing to care for it like any other S. dehaani. I’ve never seen anything like this in a pede....

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Hi,
You guys reckon is a good idea introducing few Isopods like Armadillium Vulgare to keep the enclosure clean?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
You guys reckon is a good idea introducing few Isopods like Armadillium Vulgare to keep the enclosure clean?
No. Woodlice can eat moulting invertebrates. Not every time and some species are more prone to doing this than others, but it only has to happen once for you to no longer have a centipede. There's nothing you've described so far that woodlice can do anything about anyway. Springtails would be fine to add, but again, they're not going to help with whatever is going on.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,
So I’ll give you an update. Discolouration still there and another small one coming on the same usual place on the 11th. He had a couple of crix lately but he’s really shy to food. I’m keeping him in a little drier substrate. Just wondering..would it be best to take out the water dish and give it back at feeding time or leave it in the enclosure?
About the eggs lookalike in the frass; I found one little with some still in it. Nothing else found since. Nothing came out yet from those eggs I put in the little dose box. No mould no nothing. Last question and I’ll leave you alone. Doesn’t he look a bit thicker than usual?? Or is it only my imagination?
Could he actually be in premolt??
And if he is going to molt will he recover from those spots?
You guys are great ...thank you for your support
41672612-5F38-423B-93AD-8B638CC48144.png 5D87F582-2B85-4068-ACAD-DF38CC925CC6.png Q

Polenth

Arachnobaron
If the spots are growing, that'd make it even more likely that it's fungal or bacterial. As I said before, you can treat that with athlete's foot cream. Put a thin layer on the infected spots only. It's also likely that the spots will be reduced or gone after the next moult, but it's good to stop it getting too established.

It's good news if nothing hatches from the eggs! It'd make it less likely that it's any kind of threat, even if we don't know where the eggs came from.

I'd leave the water dish. He might need to drink, especially if it's drier and a moult is soon.

TheHouseof21pairs

Arachnosquire
Will do so. I’ll put a fungal cream that the doc gave to my wife for the Cesarian birth scar , called Canesten 1% and its used for athlete’s foot as well. We’ll see how it goes. For water dish, I just put it back with just few drops in case he’s thirsty.
is it ok to apply the cream with an earbud? I gotta a strong feeling he’s not gonna like it!!😂😂
I suppose is it ok if a bit the substrate get stuck on it?
Thanks 🙏