Little things swimming in a water dish

Jakub

Arachnopeon
Hi there guys,
I changed water for my L. parahybana sling few days back, and found some little thingis swimming in there. I checked the new water a day after, and there they were again. They are like 0,5 - 1mm, very small, I cant take a picture. Anyone has any idea waht it is and if they can be harmful to the spider?

Pfera

Arachnopeon
Hi Jakub,
They may be (and most likely are) spring tails. Though hard to say without a picture. They can show up anywhere soil like stuff is. No danger to your Tarantula and as a plus theyll clean your T's enclosure up as they go.

Last edited:

Jakub

Arachnopeon
I would post a picture but you wouldnt really see anything since they are barely visibile. They are very small. Anyway, thanks for the reply :)

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
If you have a magnifying glass and can see them clearly you can google image search springtails as well as grain mites, soil mites.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Grain mites IMO, grain mites are attracted to water and will hop into water dishes all the time. Takes about 7 days before they die and sink, turning brown.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Takes about 7 days before they die and sink, turning brown.
Ah ah, sounds like something Papa Ciccio (Pope Francis, he's my best friend) would love to say from his speaking-window located in "Amen Corner" :-s

"Behold... at the 7th day..." u_u

Pfera

Arachnopeon
I would post a picture but you wouldnt really see anything since they are barely visibile. They are very small. Anyway, thanks for the reply :)
No problem man, best of luck to you.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Do they reflect light? Is their shape closer to that of just a dot or is it closer to that of an elongated dot? If they reflect light and are elongated dots, they should be sprintails.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I noticed little white "hairs" in my LP's water dish. Kind of spread evenly over the surface. If I watch long enough I can see them move. Maybe we have the same thing. I changed the water and will check again tomorrow.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Springtails are the shape of a grain of rice, they are pretty harmless. Mites can become a problem, so i would also strongly suggest googling images to identify which ones are in your Lp's enclosure.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Grain mites are annoying. You literally can't get rid of them if their reproduction explodes >< .. Especially in feeder enclosures..

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Grain mites are annoying. You literally can't get rid of them if their reproduction explodes >< .. Especially in feeder enclosures..
This is very true. I had a T container that had an overnight explosion of mites. The T moved away and went vertical. They don't like mites on them either. I caught my female flicking her rear leg as if she was scratching an itch.

The females reproduction rate is mind blowing for a grain mite. I looked it up once.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I have had a small outbreak of mites, but I believe the springtails mostly out-competed them for food.

Jakub

Arachnopeon
I believe these are springtails, I found some pictures and it looks kinda similar, but I rehoused my L. parahybana just to be sure. Thanks for the replies :)