Little Spider taking a Big Chug

Brian Cuda

Arachnopeon
My new Monocentropus balfouri hopped out of the vial and ran right over to the water dish. This is the first time I have seen one of my T’s Go right over to the dish and take a long drink. They usually drink from the droplets on their webs that I spritz...this was really cool. I have been talking myself into just “being like nature” and giving them a little rain every few days...now that I see this...looks like I will rethink that approach. Well maybe not for my OBT...I ain’t changing a dish in that demon pit every time she webs it up!!!

Attachments

CheckThrust

ArachnoPilot
Old Timer
That’s awesome! I don’t think I’ve ever had a T do that. Good to know they’ll utilize the dish when they need it.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Just want to point out that for terrestrial/fossorial tarantulas like M. balfouri, there needs to be a lot of substrate available for digging, more so than what you have provided it in the pictures. Besides that, the fact that there is a lot of height between the top of the enclosure and the top of the substrate makes a fall more likely which can and will injure a climbing spider. That enclosure type is not very suitable for terrestrial/fossorials at all. Also the decorations are sharp and potentially dangerous as falling hazards as well. This species needs deep dry substrate, a hide that's open ended for it to burrow through and as you have just provided a good water dish. Even something cheap like a KK would do better than this enclosure that opens at the front and doesn't allow for optimum substrate levels. Remember the rule of thumb for ALL terrestrial/fossorial tarantulas is to never give them more than 1.5 x the Diagonal Leg Span of the spider between the top of the cage and the top of the substrate. :)

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Itt may have ran for the water dish as this is a dead end and May have made it feel safe as I've done a few rehouses where the T has darted for the water dish but this has only been to seek shelter. Height may be an issue but M. Balfouri are heavy webber provide more anchor points to reduce fall risk and encourage webbin, although height should not exceed 1.5x the spiders dls when dealing with terrestrial/fossorial species ime they like height and if set up properly fall risk is minimal to non existent

Brian Cuda

Arachnopeon
Itt may have ran for the water dish as this is a dead end and May have made it feel safe as I've done a few rehouses where the T has darted for the water dish but this has only been to seek shelter. Height may be an issue but M. Balfouri are heavy webber provide more anchor points to reduce fall risk and encourage webbin, although height should not exceed 1.5x the spiders dls when dealing with terrestrial/fossorial species ime they like height and if set up properly fall risk is minimal to non existent
I actually watched move her fangs into the water and she stayed there for about 45 seconds. Good advice on the height, so thank you for that everyone. She (I am hoping it is a she) has begun to web up the enclosure nicely and is starting to open up the tunnel I started for her. I will be excited to watch her grow.