little red things

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi. it's probably nothing to worry about but a few days ago i changed the substrate in the tank. the substrate i'm using is pure peat. today i noticed two or three little red plant things poking up from the substrate. does anybody know what these are?
thanks,
Jono

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ARF!! You got a fungus growing in your substrate. I had the same red fungus grow in my 3 pounds of unused eco earth. I had to throw it all away. I Don't know what it would do to your T but anything Growing in my tanks that smells of rotten eggs I usually remove. Next time, don't use as much moisture:)

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by JDK
ARF!! You got a fungus growing in your substrate. I had the same red fungus grow in my 3 pounds of unused eco earth. I had to throw it all away. I Don't know what it would do to your T but anything Growing in my tanks that smells of rotten eggs I usually remove. Next time, don't use as much moisture:)
I agree JDK,
The smell of a tank is the first sign that somethings wrong, and it does'nt have to be as bad as rotten eggs. If my enclosures dont smell like dirt, or peet. Its change out time.

Ernie

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
brilliant i only changed it the other day. now i'll have to change it again! this'll be the third change in two months. what can i do to dry the substrate out a bit?
thanks,
Jono

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey it's ok it was a false alarm. my dad took a look at them and they're actually little seedling plants. i didn't describe them very well, they've got thin green stalks with little red bulbs on the end. so i don't need to clean it out after all:D

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Juno I really want you to understand, you shouldn't have anything growing in your tank. It may not be that fungus but none the less, it's growing.

Last edited:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
wait,.... I put edible grass in my millipede tank I wouldent think it could do any harm...

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Juno I really want you to understand, you shouldn't have anything growning in your tank. It may not be that fungus but none the less, it's growing.
Just because something is growing doesn't mean it will hurt your T. I would do a check to make sure exactly what it is and how in the crap it got there. But many, many people house their tarantulas in live vivariums. Plants don't harm tarantulas, just fungus. And if it was a stem and bulb composition it will be okay. The only real worry is how it got there in the first place. I would, though, either get a different brand of peat or a new bag if it has all come from the same one.

Marcus

Ephesians

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wait,.... I put edible grass in my millipede tank I wouldent think it could do any harm...
It will be fine. As long as the grass isn't edible because it eats yourmilli. :}

edit: your (space) milli. ;)

Jono_mad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well it's gone now anyway cuz the crickets ate it and it hasn't come back. i'll get a new bag anyway just to be sure. she is absolutely fine so it was nothing harmful.
thanks,
Jono

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have a pet bird and one time I had the tank open while it was eating... I check on my spider a few days later.. What do you know millet seeds growing in it's cage... lmao!!