Little Penguin roaches?

Stugy

Arachnolord
OK, just wanted to be sure she was humid, as they do need good humidity to survive. :)

I'd setup the enclosure with substrate how you want it, then wait a little bit before moving the female in, mold growth usually is at it's peak when starting a new cage, after a couple weeks the mold usually starts dying off, especially if you have springtails in there, (they don't have to be the big tropical ones usually used as cleanup crews, just the normal tiny silver ones will do).

Yeah, I really don't like setups without substrate either, feels so unnatural! So I usually put a thin layer of substrate even in enclosures with species that don't need it. :p
lol In every situation in which mold has started growing in my enclosures is when it takes weeks until they show up. :p I've been getting some real weird looking mold that starts from the bottom of the substrate and works it's way up. I may get a pic of the mold in a bit since it's already taken over my experimental pillbug deli-cup (they were WC so I was experimenting foods while trying to kill of the mites of them) and my experimental sowbug deli-cup (same reason but also had a large amount of Sinella curviseta after an accident).

Stugy

Arachnolord
Update time! The thing that I thought was an ootheca disappeared from my female (the last of my Ectobiidae sp. "Malaysia") so I was very sad about that. Just now I looked into her deli-cup and she has an even bigger one that just has to be an ootheca! I am very excited about this but it is unfortunately late at night rn so I will try to take a picture tomorrow. What should I do if it is an ootheca?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Leave her alone and make sure she has plenty of food and water, I don't know if this specific roach holds onto their ooths, but make sure to place some cork bark in there.

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Leave her alone and make sure she has plenty of food and water, I don't know if this specific roach holds onto their ooths, but make sure to place some cork bark in there.
Exactly, just leave her be and make sure she's got everything she needs, and you should have babies soon! :)

This species actually does carry the oothecae until they hatch, (like Blattella), so there's no need to add any good egg-laying surfaces in the enclosure, (though I'm sure they'd love to hide on cork bark nonetheless).

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Believe me, once they start hatching you'll be swarmed with them lol. I got a group a month or so ago, including a couple females holding ooths, and now there's a ton of ridiculously small nymphs running around.

Stugy

Arachnolord
My vision isn't the best but that does look like an ooth too me. :) Look forward to the babies.

Also: http://www.roachforum.com
#ShamelessPlug
lmao you know I did use that forum right? I even cited a guy from there, just check the first page of this thread lol. I just don't care enough to update my thread there xD