Little hike on Friday afternoon

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Amanda and I decided to get away from the spiders a little and went hiking at the Arboratum of St. Anne de Bellevue, that's the west end of Montreal island.

Nothing really exciting, but here are a few pictures of the day.

Attachments

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This, I have no clue what it is, but it was quite big and impressive, anyone has a clue.

It seems it was injecting something (eggs I presume) inside rotting logs.

Attachments

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This, I have no clue what it is, but it was quite big and impressive, anyone has a clue.

It seems it was injecting something (eggs I presume) inside rotting logs.
I am going to say it is a wasp due to the constricted waist, but I can't get the right family from the picture. I am leaning to Braconid or Ichneumonid, but I can't do better than that at the moment.

Both are parasitic, and are really great at finding hosts, so it had likely found a grub in the wood and drilled a hole though the log to lay an egg on it.

The Arboretum is a cool place isn't it? Did you find the quarry?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
nice pics tarcan!thanks for sharing.what camera ya using?

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Martin!

Do You know of the scientific name of this Cicindelidae? At least, what is it's genus name, Cicindela like most here in Russia or any other?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mikhail,

I unfortunatly have no clue! I need to work a bit more at learning the animals we have up here. If I find out, I will let you know.

Martin

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just by the pictures, I think it may be Cicindela sexguttata , or Six-spotted Tiger Beetle, due to the metallic green and the white spots on the elytra. I don't know of any other local species with individual white spots.

In some parts of the arboretum they are supposed to be nearly as common as the mosquitos;)

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
Awesome Pics

OH MY I love the pics.. And I'm also jealous that you have a camera that good! LOL Thanks for sharing!! :worship:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi again Martin.
Wanna ask You. Have You ever found any of the Phrynosoma spp. during Your local field trips, if You ever travel to south Canada?

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mikhail,

I have been to point Pelee once, which is the most southern point of Canada, seen some skinks, but that is all.

I have read in the Canadian section that someone found some in BC I think, which would make more sense to me. This is on the other side of the country, and I never visited it.

Maybe someone can chime in and give info on their distribution. Sadly, I do not know much of our own fauna, which is a shame, but Canada is a monster country just like Russia, there is a lot of territory to cover out here!

Take care

Martin

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Martin!

Yes, Canada is not small at all, agreed, and covers a large territory of some places from like Russian Siberia with the dence forests as we call "taiga" to more "southern-like" steppen areas and semi-arid as well at BC (?), also including a montane areas as well...

I'm intereseted in this particular species just for the info, as seems so here is nobody able to keep them (any of Phrynosoma spp imported in Russia) alive more than several months ;( that's a pity as it seems so one of the most unusual and cute lizards in this world... eh...

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The "red bug" is a ground or velvet mite.
POssibly from the genus Trombidium or closest genera.

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Martin..
No, maybe it only in part concerning some inverts, amphibs, reptiles and birds ;)
These velvet mites is usual in ex-USSR...