Little hat

Miloren

Arachnopeon
Got a new juvenile, molted right away. It's been 4 days. His molted carapace is still on his rump. It wobbles as he runs. Does he know?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not sure what you're asking. But if there is some old exoskeleton still stuck to it's body you need to remove it if it doesn't come off on its own.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Jumping spiders have hats too
That's flipping awesome....nice find.

@Miloren A picture would be of help. But some have used moisture, say from a wet Q tip to soften the old molt enough to remove it. I have not personally had this type of problem. Others have and may have better suggestions.

Last edited:

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
If it's not causing any problem ,,,I would leave it, you don't want to risk causing a tear by pulling on it.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I think it's still attached to a little bit of old opisthosoma and just twisted around. If it were fresher I'd suggest you grab it with tongs and just let him run to remove it, but it might be firmly attached. Maybe do the above after painting the area with a bit of glycerin?

Miloren

Arachnopeon
Think there'd any danger in leaving it? She doesn't mind when I wiggle it but it returns to that spot. She can run fine and kick fine. If it's just stuck in the hair, I wouldn't think it's an issue, but if it's there until she molts again would it be a problem?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
It doesn't look attached. Leave it it will fall off or the T will clean it off.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Think there'd any danger in leaving it? She doesn't mind when I wiggle it but it returns to that spot. She can run fine and kick fine. If it's just stuck in the hair, I wouldn't think it's an issue, but if it's there until she molts again would it be a problem?
I wouldn't worry too much at this point as long as it is acting normally then it will be OK

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Umm, that is actually pretty freakin adorable!! :cat:
Doesn't beat your T wearing glitter though!
@OP
I'd leave it. Careful with handling/manipulating your spider, it looks to still be very soft from the molt.

D Sherlod

Arachnoknight
My little one still has its hat (or two heads)
2017-04-14 17.33.37.jpg

It stands up if it runs real fast......air breaks:troll: