Little guys are biting now...

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
During a cup change, I was pinched by one of my baby Scolopendra heros castaniceps. Couldn't break the skin, but it was trying like mad. Little devil.
john

Last edited:

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Scott,

Did you lose any others? I've lost a couple since we last talked. It seems like they die right after a feeding.
john

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just lost me 3rd and last juvie. I thought the last little one might be the survivor, but nope. I thought he may have been in premolt because he stopped eating. Next thing you know, dead. :( I still have 2 adults that are doing great though.
Scott, I'm curious to know how yours are doing too.

Atrax

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
I really hope I'm not jinxing myself here, but the nine survivors all seem to be doing fine. Ble eyen hurrah (Jewish version of knock on wood :) ) I think a couple of them are currently in premolt as they've burrowed and haven't been taking prey. A few of them have definitely molted as many of them now have no problems running right out of their deli cups when I open the lids. I've taken to working with them using the container in a container method so that if they get out of the deli cups, they're still in a bigger container that they can't get out of.

Scott

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
wow!

nice pic
LaRiz, is it biting you in that pic? or are you just holding it?

James

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
James,
The one in my hand is not biting me. Just swinging around looking for something else to get ahold of.

Atrax,
How were you keeping the little ones? Substrate ingredients (including depth), moisture, feeding, etc.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I had them on straight sphagnum peat, about 3/4" deep. Humidity was about 70%. I would only mist a small area in it's enclosure rather than dampen the entire substrate. I think what killed one I had before was dampening the whole substrate. This last one fed 2 or 3 times a week, small crix. At least up until about a week before it died. I thought it was in premolt since it refused food. I suspect that either I still don't have the humidity right somehow, or perhaps the air in the enclosure wasn't getting enough circulation. Any thoughts?

Atrax

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
To be honest with you, I don't even know what the humidity level is in my enclosures I can say that the ones that died the first time around (from Tim) I was keeping the entire substrate moist and they died. This time around I've been, much like you, only moistening one spot in the deli cup and they seem to be doing much better. What are you keeping them in BTW? Personally, I think it may either be that there's not enough ventilation in your enclosure or you may be overfeeding them. I think that it's highly possible that when that small, they may "overeat" themselves to death. The ones that have died on me recently usually died after eating. I've usually been feeding them one 1/4" cricket once or twice a week. They'll only get a second one if the first one is gone when the next feeding day comes around. I do maintenance on Sunday's and Thursday's, so if there is still a cricket in the enclosure on either of those days, they don't get another one. If the cricket is in there but dead, I remove it and don't try another one until the next maintenance day comes around....

Scott

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey John,
That's what my two look like in size, and they have that pretty blue color. So far mine are still kicking just checked on them a day ago and got them out from under the dirt. Don't think I will be brave enough to hold one though, I'm sure mine would bite and be successful! I have got to get some more, they truely intrigue me. Next one is going to be big.