"little dripper" and enclosure question

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone own those brand name "little driper" and "big driper" dripping systems. how do they work and is it possible to make one at home. 20-30$ a pop for a jar with a tube seems like a lot for 5$ worth of parts.

Also I'm using those clear acrylic cubes from Micheal's and one of my Ts is now big enough to push the lid off (I woke up to the lid totally removed and frantically searched all over only to find the T come out of its burrow later on and be sitting there in the container)

Has anyone else had this issue, how have you secured your lids to prevent this from happening?

Thanks.

Last edited:

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Dont know about the dripper, but My michaels enclosures 4x5's, I stack them up
leaving the bigger ts on the bottom..Dont know how big your cubes are but If mine were strong enough to push the lids off (that arent that easy as they look) Maybe need a different type of enclosure?.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
All of mine have snap-on lids, but I'd use clear tape or something like that. Cheap and easy. Rubber bands would work too, but wouldn't look as nice.

MS6582

Arachnopeon
sounds like you forgot to put the lid on to me... I couldn't see a T pushing the lid off one of these things. I know I only have slings in mine but if I don't open it just right it's kind of a pain for even me to open. I also got mine at Micheal's. If yours are extra loose for some reason I would use clear take like Hobo suggested or you could weight them down with something and drill holes in the sides vs the top (if you don't already have holes on the sides)

Last edited:

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of tarantula is it Ryan? I have a 2 inch Avic in one of the Michales cubes and there would be no way it could push the lid open. I find the same as MS in that if I put it on it kind of sticks and I have to give a good tug. However if you do use clear tape there is a kind of tape made for Magazines. Comic book store in the city sells it called Phoenix Books. He will give you a roll cheap. It works well because you can remove and restick it multiple times but it has a good hold.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont know about the dripper, but My michaels enclosures 4x5's, I stack them up
leaving the bigger ts on the bottom..Dont know how big your cubes are but If mine were strong enough to push the lids off (that arent that easy as they look) Maybe need a different type of enclosure?.
Yea I'm moving him to a different tank as he's large enough now.

sounds like you forgot to put the lid on to me... I couldn't see a T pushing the lid off one of these things.
I did not leave the lid off, I was sitting close by and heard the lid fall off and bounce on to the floor with the offending T right at the top of the enclosure.

I later tested the theory to see if I was crazy by watching intently in the evening and lo-and-behold the little bugger did it.

What kind of tarantula is it Ryan? I have a 2 inch Avic in one of the Michales cubes and there would be no way it could push the lid open. I find the same as MS in that if I put it on it kind of sticks and I have to give a good tug. However if you do use clear tape there is a kind of tape made for Magazines. Comic book store in the city sells it called Phoenix Books. He will give you a roll cheap. It works well because you can remove and restick it multiple times but it has a good hold.
I know the place, over on broad right? I'll look into it.

The lids on all of my cubes fit very loosely. I assumed they were all like that, as when i went to the store they were all loose fitting on the shelf. But its a non issue with the slings, but this is my L. violaceopes and he's a good 2" or so now. And the cube is only 2x2x4" I think so its really time to move him into the larger cube, it is crazy how quickly this species grows, considering he was less than an inch 2 months a go.

Thanks all, now just to figure out that "little driper" system...

Last edited:

BQC123

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as the drippers go, I made my own. Sorry, it was years ago and I do not have any photos.

I used a clear plastic jug. I drilled a hole in the side, near the bottom. Into the hole I siliconed a small, plastic airline valve. I would just open the valve to the desired drip rate, and let it drip through the top screen of my cage. It was a very sturdy wooden chameleon cage. I later added airline tubing, and routed the drip to a specific area.

It takes some tweaking. As the water level drops the drip rate will decrease. I had it down to where I would fill it once a day, and it was just perfect.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dunno about the drippers, I don't use anything like that. As for the cubes, I just use a piece of electrical tape to hold the lids shut. Electric tape, IMO, works better than other types of tape because it's easy to take on and off and it retains its stickiness.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Little dripper, is that like a store-bought drip system they use for chameleons?

Years back when i had my chameleon, I made my own using just an empty water bottle, poke a small hole in the bottom with a small nail, and fill with water. The cap on top of the bottle controls the drip rate by how tight you fit it on.. loosely on it drips faster, tighter it drips slower.