list of parthenogenic scorpions?

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Yes, because it's as if anyone ever pays attention to the stickies in the first place...:sarcasm:

Or: you could just run a search for "parthenogenic", bookmark the page, make note of it, print it out, memorize it, tattoo it on your forehead and purchase a mirror if it's really that important to you.

Stupid, unpaid mods...why can't they coddle us! Oh.

Thanks for the citations, Michael;)

Hammershot

Arachnopeon
I doubt its actual parthenogenesis. I think its more likely that it is insane sperm retention.

lancej

Arachnolord
I have my doubts about C. gracilis being parthenogenetic. Both cases involved immature females that were collected, then molted to maturity and gave birth. I have seen males trying to mate with immature females in some of the colonies I've kept in the past. I think it's possible that the females had already been mated. Plus the fact that I don't recall ever reading about any all female populations. I'm not saying it can't be possible, I just have my doubts.

Banshee05

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nope.
I have talked long and intensive with Dr.Teruel about this and btw HIS gracilis from Cuba population. And this population or SPECIMENS in the past were true parthenogenetic ones. BUT he/ and also me more and more, think that this all female brood fact is MUCH more commen in a lot of species and populations but was seldom observed and documented. and the avaibility to change during some generations is also a fact, that's the reason why in some species all male brood exist, or female and male mixed while female are from unfertilizaed eggs and males from fertz. etc. .... so all around this topic is really tricky and no generalisation should be considered as true or as a rule.... be always careful with this topic in scorpions and much more in arachnids in general!

Hammershot

Arachnopeon
Good read about parthenogenesis in scorpions: http://www.ibiologia.unam.mx/html/pub/Francke_RIA16_93_104.pdf

In reference to c. gracilis and parthenogenesis:

"Centruroides gracilis(Latreille, 1804)(Buthidae)

Chronologically, the next report of parthenogenesis in scorpions belongs to this species (Teruel,2004). Two subadult females, from different bisexual populations, molted to maturity in captivity and subsequently gave birth. From one of those litters two females
reached sexual maturity, but unfortunately died shortly thereafter without producing an F2 parthenogenetic generation. The second litter died in the second instar. Teruel correctly pointed out the difficulties with sex distinction in early instars and would not categorically
state that thelytoky occurs in the species. However, since sexually mature males and females of C. gracilis have been raised from litters born in captivity (Francke & Jones, 1982), we must consider this an example of facultative parthenogenesis for this taxon. "

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Talk about resurrecting the dead :rofl:

If I am not mistaken, there has been no scientific data to backup this claim that Heterometrus Longimanus is parthenogenetic

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
H. Longimanus here is parthenogenetic. Even though we dont have scientific claims, keepers here have experience about their longi popping without any mates.

I don't get why people doesn't believe it even though it came from the keepers with experience.

Do we really need scientific proof to prove our claims or you just dont want to believe since tou haven't experience it first hand?

We don't have scientists here who can prove our claims since it's not yet being studied by them.

Maybe im wrong, maybe our longimanus here is a different species of heterometrus. But believe me, they're really popping. . .

TheScorpionMan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
H. Longimanus here is parthenogenetic. Even though we dont have scientific claims, keepers here have experience about their longi popping without any mates.

I don't get why people doesn't believe it even though it came from the keepers with experience.

Do we really need scientific proof to prove our claims or you just dont want to believe since tou haven't experience it first hand?

We don't have scientists here who can prove our claims since it's not yet being studied by them.

Maybe im wrong, maybe our longimanus here is a different species of heterometrus. But believe me, they're really popping. . .
Just because you get one and it pops does not make it parthogenic. It could have mated elsewhere and stored sperm as well. Now if you got one as a scorpling and raise it to adulthood and it pops then that could change the argument

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Just because you get one and it pops does not make it parthogenic. It could have mated elsewhere and stored sperm as well. Now if you got one as a scorpling and raise it to adulthood and it pops then that could change the argument
We have been raising h longimanus from scorplings, ive never had them in communal setup. starting 2i, ive raised my scorplings separately. all off them became gravid and popped without a mate. Now i have 2 4i h longimanus in a separate enclosure. They're from the same batch. never been together after they came down from their mother's back. im just waiting for them to turn adult, and albeit they'll pop. Not unless your h longimanus and our h longimanus is a different sp. If only we can ship our longi to your country then you will be able to experienced first hand about our claims.

Abhorsen

Arachnoknight
Nobody forgot it, there is no real proof of it. Anecdotal data means nothing.
All of the keepers here in my country have experienced with their longimanus popping even though they have been raised from 2i separately. Unless all of them mated at 2i then stored the sperm until they're adult enough to be gravid. and all of them can change sex at 7i, beacuse ive been raising longimanus separately starting from 2i. all of them became gravid and popped.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The real problem is that everyone keeps claiming that the H. longimanus they have are parthenogenic but no one will send them to a scorpion biologist. It's hard to just take someone's word for it when there is no proof. Much like the Leiurus quinquestriatus 'deserti' that comes out of the Philippines. That is not a valid species but everyone that has it claims it is.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All of the keepers here in my country have experienced with their longimanus popping even though they have been raised from 2i separately. Unless all of them mated at 2i then stored the sperm until they're adult enough to be gravid. and all of them can change sex at 7i, beacuse ive been raising longimanus separately starting from 2i. all of them became gravid and popped.
*Cough* *Cough*

Anecdotal data means nothing