Limits of Mealworms as Feeders?

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I've been wondering how far my T. molitar colony will go as feeders. I have several small inverts that do fine on them, but I'm curious to their limits as feeders for larger inverts. Are there any tarantulas or spiders that can live a healthy life on nothing but mealworms? How about any of the medium/large centipedes? Are roaches/crickets a must for those wanting to keep large spiders, centipedes, assassin bugs etc.?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Hey all, I've been wondering how far my T. molitar colony will go as feeders. I have several small inverts that do fine on them, but I'm curious to their limits as feeders for larger inverts. Are there any tarantulas or spiders that can live a healthy life on nothing but mealworms? How about any of the medium/large centipedes?
In my experience, Tarantulas will be fine on only mealworms, same for centipedes.
I can't answer you on assassin bugs.

Last edited:

GemTheBirder

Arachnopeon
In my experience, Tarantulas will be fine on only mealworms, same for centipedes.
I can't answer you on assassin bugs.
Thanks @moricollins. I had been assuming tarantulas would eventually need crickets or roaches. Any idea how many mealworms an adult T would need to eat per feeding?

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hey all, I've been wondering how far my T. molitar colony will go as feeders. I have several small inverts that do fine on them, but I'm curious to their limits as feeders for larger inverts. Are there any tarantulas or spiders that can live a healthy life on nothing but mealworms? How about any of the medium/large centipedes? Are roaches/crickets a must for those wanting to keep large spiders, centipedes, assassin bugs etc.?
There is no science (that I'm aware of) that provides any real feedback on the nutritional needs of tarantulas. Do whatever works for you, but mealworms are quite small and you'd likely have to feed multiples to a large T to even match one large super/morio worm.

DomGom TheFather

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Whatever you prefer.
I honestly think roaches are the only way to go but that's just me.

lazarus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are there any tarantulas or spiders that can live a healthy life on nothing but mealworms?
For large Ts it's just not practical to feed such as small prey, smaller species of tarantulas (like Cyriocosmus) can be fed mealworms even as adults.

Are roaches/crickets a must for those wanting to keep large spiders, centipedes, assassin bugs etc.?
Superworms are a good feeder alternative to roaches or crickets, they are just as easy to keep as mealworms and if you keep them together they stay in larval stage for a very long time. Also, if you breed them you'll have worms of all sizes available.

MrGhostMantis

Arachnoprince
I have found mealworms to be great feeders to most thinks I have. The only thing that makes me nervous while feeding is they can carry several parasites although rare.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
If I tried feeding the biggest meal/super worm to my male T.blondi,he would throw it back at me and tell me..”let’s try that again,shall we”!.
They are great feeders, but only to a point.
I use them regularly with my slings(sliced and diced) and they molt and grow great,so IMO, nutrition is not an issue apparently.

basin79

ArachnoGod
You'd be wanting morioworms for larger inverts. 1 large morio will be similar to an adult cricket. The morio will probably weigh more.