Like 70 crickets escaped

noahs1233

Arachnopeon
i accidentally knocked over the cricket bin and they escaped will they breed? How can I kill them?

Bread

Arachnopeon
How big are they? Duct tape spread along the edge of skirting works great if small. Or a kitty?

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thank you for the good laugh ;)

Your idea of vacuuming is good (make sure and change the bag out when your done).
There will more than likely be some you miss, you'll just have to be vigilant and get them as they appear. They won't successfully breed in that environment.

user 666

Arachnobaron
i accidentally knocked over the cricket bin and they escaped will they breed? How can I kill them?
I usually swat loose crickets with whatever is handy, but I've never loosed that many before. A vacuum is a good idea. You could also set out a dish of water for them to drown in when they get thirsty.

And yes, they could breed.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
I had a bin of crickets chew through the screen and get loose. It was around 30 crickets if I remember correctly. Anyways, if you have a cat, I wouldn't worry at all. Only downside is you'll be finding dead crickets everywhere for the next month or so, unless your cat enjoys eating them lol.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
Glueboards work good. Place them flush with the wall under dressers and behind stuff. Works like a charm.

louise f

Arachnoangel
Lol... Hehe if you dont get them all, you`ll have a nice cricket concert in the night instead :p:D Oh boy i can only emagine :D

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I have a good size colony of escapees in my house.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I'm remembering that thread last week where someone shared that they had a bunch of crickets escape and the cat ate them and the threw up all over. I hope this doesn't happen to OP. Hopefully the vacuum was effective.

Ranitomeya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Glue traps along the walls and underneath furniture work wonderfully. They'll tend to be attracted to sources of heat and moisture, so place some traps in those locations--don't be surprised if they find their way underneath and behind your refrigerator. If you can see them, the vacuum is indeed a great way to capture and get rid of them. If you don't capture or trap them, they won't breed in your house unless there are damp substrate or cracks where they can lay eggs. They'll also need a constant source of water to drink from and food, so unless you have a leak somewhere and don't pick up food fallen on the floor, you should not experience an infestation. Without food and water, they may be able to remain alive for a week or two before dying somewhere.

I hate escaped crickets--they die in hidden areas or places that are difficult to reach. You'll have to smell dead crickets until you find and remove their corpses. Then you'll occasionally detect faint whiffs of dead cricket odor and debate whether you're imagining it or if there's a corpse you haven't yet found.

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
Last time this happened to my I just started stomping. I got most of them, but every once in a while I see one of my dogs messing with one, or my nephew (3 years old) will tell me in broken english that he found one. Usually sounds like "Tintin! Ticket!" side note, my name is Quentin and that's how he pronounces my name lol

Czech prime

Arachnoknight
Once i had them chew through the top of the enclosure and like 30-40 escaped. I went in the room (garage) every night and start squishing them with shoes. I found one every couple of weeks after that but now they are gone