Lighting issue's and problem solved

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not sure if you guys will remember a previous post I made about my mum going mad over the idea of a scorpion being in the house. She wasn't budging.

Anyhow, mum and dad are divorced so I thought I'd try my dad. He told me it wasn't staying in the house, so I persuaded him to let me keep it in the shed.

So off I went to the local store, picked up a 2 foot vivarium complete with heat mat, thermometor, substrate, water dish, UV light (one of the long, thin tubes) and a basking bulb.

I also picked an Emperor (my first scorpion so I took the advice from here), it's around 2.5 inches without the tail.

Anyhow, got a nice little set up. Fitted the light and heat mat. Didn't have much time to observe as I needed to rush home as a friend was coming down to drop something off.

Few questions though. The pet store tryed to give me dry substrate, I asked if they would swap it for something moist and damp. They gave me a bag of something, I can't remember the name but it's to do with volvanic ash? You mix it with water? I'm currently using this as my substrate. It's nice and damp and I have around 3 inches deep on one side. Will this stuff do or should I replace it with peet or potting soil tomorrow?

Also, as I left the heat mat was just getting warm. I've left the heat mat on AND the bulb and it was just 20 degrees celcius, around 65F? Do you think that will have risen by tomorrow?

I popped the scorpion into the viv and he went straight for the hole I'd conveniently bought for him (under an ornament, can't think of the word for it right now). Dropped a cricket in, went for a brew inside, came back out and it had gone.

Will leaving the bulb on effect the scorpion coming out of it's hide? Being nocturnal I'm not sure if it will? It's going to be on all night to try and get the viv up to temp but I'm worried that's all.

Any good tricks to get them out of their hide through the daytime without pissing them off?

I'll get some pictures up of my setup tomorrow, didn't have much chance tonight.

Thanks guys

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine didn't come out at night with the bulb, so I got a red bulb since they can not see red light.

Curry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would get one of those red heat lamps around 40 watts should do the trick.

Don't expect to see it much during the day time... they do like to hide. Mine used to roam every other night, it was weird. he would also come out to drink from his bowl.

I don't know about that volcanic ash stuff, never heard of it or used it.

I had my emp on a 1 inch of gravel followed by a few inches of potting soil (plain)

Also keep a shallow dish of water to help maintain humidity.

good luck!

HufnPuf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice you were able to find your arachnid a home!

UV light isn't recommended for long periods of time-harmful to scorp.

...and heat mats under the tank have been frowned upon. of course since you live in colder environs this might be OK...under tank heating is sketchy tho as your thermometer is not measuring the temp in the Emps hide or the temp of the substrate. Emps like it warm...if you can't get the heat up to 75-80 degrees you will have to get another lamp.

you will have problems keeping the Emp in the shed in the winter...it gets cold where you are.

i suggest involving your Dad during feeding-thats the coolest part anyway, IMO.

feed at night when the scorp is active...mine always forages at night (comes out of his hide at least). if you an your Dad watch the feeding maybe he can start to appreciate these creatures...

like Axtek and Curry said, red light is great to watch these guys by...

cheers!

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah, I'm having major problems keeping this thing warm.

It's around 70-75F at the minute, I need to look into other heating sources to be honest.

Took some pictures today, I'll upload them tomorrow in work when I get the cable for my phone :)

Jaffster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Any recommendations on how to keep it hot in there? Money not really a problem but obviously I'm not gonna fork out mega bucks for it.

Here's the pictures:

Here's my 2 foot enclosure. The floor is Vermiculite (sp) and it was soaked with water, hence the over-humidity. That's stopped now.

That's his hide which I haven't seen him leave yet apart from the odd occasion.

Water bowl to the left and the bark which he actually tried to get under, but failed miserably.

My stepmum decided to call him Simon/Sally the scorpion. I know, a little sad. But I still don't knowwhat sex it is, any idea's?

Little blurry but you get the idea!