Lifespan Of Wolf Spiders

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Can anybody tell me approximately how long Wolf Spiders live?Done a search,but couldn't find anything relating to lifespan in previous threads on Lycosa.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've raised H. carolina from baby to adult to death, and they lived approx 3 years total. I suspect many species live much shorter lives, however.

Wade

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Thanks,Wade.
A UK dealer is selling some adult Lycosa species.So if fully grown,probably not a good investment- I believe they are wild caught.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My guess would be that larger species from warmer climates have longer lives than smaller species from cooler climates.

Also, WC adult females have a pretty good chance of already having mated and producing fertile sacs after you get them. That's how I wound up with baby H. carolina!

Wade

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Melmoth said:
Can anybody tell me approximately how long Wolf Spiders live?Done a search,but couldn't find anything relating to lifespan in previous threads on Lycosa.
It depends on the species and where they are found. Some species of Pardosa, for example, live from one to two seasons depending on the length of the warm season where they live. Further north, where the summer is shorter, subadults don't have enough time to reach maturity and overwinter to reach maturity during their second year (and sometimes their 3rd year). The same spider, living in warmer climate further south, will be born, reach maturity and die within the same year, because there is no cold weather to force it into hibernation.