Lifespan of velvet spiders

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Anyone know if mature females eresidae molt? Or about how long they live?

I know it might be different for different genus but I’m curious. I’ve read something saying female Eresus molt as adults but couldn’t find more information.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think they do. Once they mature, the female spider lays eggs - and her body begins breaking down her own internal organs to make a nutritious "soup" she can regurgitate for her young. Eventually, she will no longer be able to do this - and the young will consume her. Even if she is virgin and the eggs are not fertilized, I believe the female is basically programmed to begin the process of breaking down her internal organs after she has laid eggs. (I know some of the Eresidae do this - but I'm not sure if all of them do.)

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Yeah I know they consume her. But if she didn’t mate, how long would she live?

I’ve also read they can lay a second sac and males will actually try to eat the egg sacs of females, so the female will mate with him. I can’t remember what species the study was on or if they all do this.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Meaning they can lay a second sac if something happens to the first egg sac. If successful obviously she is consumed.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Gandanameno sp - velvet spiders. Females live around 5 years. I'll have had my eldest 4 years in September. She came as a sling.