Lifespan of a mature male L.Parahybana?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
There is no difinitive answer unfortunately. Though the average shelf life usually between 1 & 2 years.

cold blood

Staff member
Keep in mind, that to get maximum life out of a MM, its not food that's critical...often they only want to eat maybe once or twice a month...sometimes less....but they do need water. Keeping them hydrated is important. IMO most MMs do not die of old age, but rather of eventual dehydration.

Keep a large water dish full, and dampen part of the sub when it dries out. I have a MM Lasiodora that's over 2 years mature...dang thing just keep on going...doesn't even look too bad either.

Last edited:

Kimora

Arachnosquire
Keep in mind, that to get maximum life out of a MM, its not food that's critical...often they only want to eat maybe once or twice a month...sometimes less....but they do need water. Keeping them hydrated is important. IMO most MMs do not die of old age, but rather of eventual dehydration.

Keep a large water dish full, and dampen part of the sub when it dries out. I have a MM Lasiodora that's over 2 years mature...dang thing just keep on going...doesn't even look to bad either.
Thank you so much for your answer ! :)

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
I’ll +1 for the averages that everyone has said, but I’ll also add that there are some extreme cases.

There was a keeper on the boards that had an L. parahybana male for 5 years post maturity. He basically became decrepid and had to be fed directly as he couldn’t catch food anymore, but he lived quite a while. I wish I could find the thread, but it’s definitelty an unordinary case that sticks out in my mind.

Kimora

Arachnosquire
I asked because I saw a MM L.p for sale. He’s in a bad mood...considering the conditions in which he lived. I just arrived at home with him. <3

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I asked because I saw a MM L.p for sale. He’s in a bad mood...considering the conditions in which he lived. I just arrived at home with him. <3
Things to consider:
  • If you bought him as a MM, you don't know how long he's been mature, so the estimated lifespans given could actually be much higher than how long he actually lives
  • Mature males prioritize looking for mates over eating and most other "tarantula stuff"
  • He won't eat as much and his abdomen will stay pretty small
  • He'll wander around the cage A LOT once he starts looking for a mate (if he isn't already), so he'll probably always seem agitated or "in a bad mood"
  • You'll need to set up his enclosure keeping in mind that he'll wander, climb, and possibly fall
  • He'll still always need water, especially since he won't be getting as much moisture from prey
Have you considered sending him out on a breeding loan?

Kimora

Arachnosquire
Sincerely, my priority was only to get him out of where he comes from.

I've never seen such a big tarantula in such a small plastic tub. He could hardly turn around and his setup was only filled with shit and was so dry. :O

Kimora

Arachnosquire
And so I'm sorry guys I forgot to specify that the person told me he was mature for 3 months now.