Life span

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are there any true spiders with a comparable life span to that of a scorp or a T?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
female Steatoda grossa can live up to 6 years I have read. could have been false info though.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I really like Holcona immanis and was thinking of getting into this. I mean I just don't want a spider that's only going to live a year or so.

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sicariidae are supposed to have longer than usual lifespans not approaching that of tarantulas and these certainly aren't recommended for inexperienced keepers.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Large female wolf spiders like H. carolinensis are said to live 3-4 years. You can buy juveniles at spiderparhm.com. I don't have personal experience with this.

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Widow spiders (Latrodectus spp.) live 3 to 4 years.
In human years thats like Moses. Have you had some go that long? ...which species? That would be the kind of goo I'd want to add to my gene pool. :D... seriously ;)

For me keeping these spiders is not so much about the individual spider, but the efforts behind being able to get a cool gravid female Latin whateverus on your 40th and feed "her" a cricket on your 100th. Lifespan, whether 2 months or 14 years is but one of many hurdles.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have never had any Latrodectus sp go longer than 2 yrs myself

Selenops

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have never had any Latrodectus sp go longer than 2 yrs myself
I have had a w/c hesperus go 5 years. Should have had her stuffed and mounted.

But 2-3 maybe pushing 4 years sounds about right to me.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was gonna say, if there is one that could do its probably L hesp

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my brother and i caught a mature hesperus female that lived with us for three years and produced something like 13 eggsacs (the last three were completely dry all the rest we assume or know would have produced at least some viables)

i think Kukulcania sp. take multiple years to mature and reproduce