Lid for 10 gallon aquarium?

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello all! I picked up a juvenile Mexican Redknee this past weekend, and I think I am going to get hooked on Tarantulas pretty quick. I want to build my little guy a nice home out of a 10 gallon aquarium I already have, but I do not want to use a standard screen lid for it. Does anyone know where I can find a glass or acrylic lid for one online? I joined this forum after reading an old post by a member selling lids on ubertux.com, but his email no longer exists:confused: Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you can't do-it-yourself, Adam Hundt @ tarantulacages.com can build to order. :) I suppose it would depend on his work load, as he has another day job.

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
You can find materials at Home Depot or Lowes hardware stores.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi,

here's one of the lids that we make.

That is really nice!How much is that particular on? Is it possible to make one the hinges up? As for everyone else, I am pretty handy when it comes to making things, but I couldn't make one that looks as good on my first try.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have ordered from Vitaliy (tarantulahomes.com) , cages and lids and the lids look absolutely elegant, proffesionally done,fits to the milimeter and the black rims look way better in person than in pictures.
They have a shine to it , really nice.

I have 4, and Im planing to order some more for my 10G tanks.

PS: He ships right away, which I personally REALLY like.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I really like the way the lids look, but after shipping it's just over $40 for the lid. Considering ho w little the tanks cost, the lids seem pretty expensive.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The thing is when you go get a piece of that thickness acrylic, then go home and realize you cant cut it with anything you have laying around, then you realize you need propper tools, then mounting the vents, the rims...That without all the scratches of the firsts 10 lids till you get the hang of it...
You might have expent more.

Personally, 17 bucks for those lids, after seeing them in person, are absolutely worth it.

Go to petco and buy a crappy 5G mesh lid that doesnt even fit tightly and that you have to modify and youll drop $15.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I really like the way the lids look, but after shipping it's just over $40 for the lid. Considering ho w little the tanks cost, the lids seem pretty expensive.
How little the tank costs? 5G regular petco tanks? They are ridiculously expensive.

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately, Fedex has a minimum charge for every shipment, whether it's 3 ounces or 2 pounds, the difference is minute. It makes sense to order several, then shipping fee won't look that scary :)

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Makes sense tarantula. I hate how ridiculous shipping costs have become. I personally prefer usps because they ship for a decent price and deliver on Saturdays. As for the tank fran, I think I got it for like $10. I have the crappy screen from petco and yes it sucks. How thick is the acrylic?

TarantulaHomes

Arachnosquire
Although not in the picture above, the lids have small acrylic handle to lift it up and another useful feature - a feeding hatch, which becomes very effective when you have an extremely mean spider that prefers the taste of your fingers to crickets or roaches :) It's 1 inch in diameter, wide enough to tong-feed or just drop the prey without disturbing your tarantula. This feature will be added to all of our enclosures starting next week.

The thinkness of acrylic is 3/16".

Last edited:

jeryst

Arachnopeon
Walmart has an excellent 10 gal lid. It has a screened center, flanked on both sides by slotted areas, so it provides a ton of ventilation. Two 2-inch openings that are covered by easily removable locking covers, for feeding, watering, etc. 4 sliding clips, one in each corner, that are adjustable for length and tension, which lock the top to the rim of the aquarium. Costs about $7 or $8. To me it is the perfect lid. Sorry I dont have a pic, but in our Walmart, its the only lid they sell, and I wish they had other sizes. Fits all standard 10 gal tanks.

BTW, at $13, they have the least expensive 10 gal tank in this area, so you can get a tank and lid for around $20.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I will have to look at the walmart by me, but I may end up buying one from tarantulahomes.Com

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here the crap lids for the 5.5G are like $15 dollars and look like crap.
You need to cover 20% of it.then they can get stuck on the mesh...They fit somewhat ok-when they do....

I have abunch from Tarantulahomes, they look so good I dont mind the $17 at all.I just dont want to give PetCo and such any bussines.

PS : I like the way he ships them with protection, so when you "peal" it off it looks sharp and scratch-finger prints free.

gmrpnk21

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
$15 dollars doesn't bother me at all, but the lid for the 10gallon comes out to be $40 after shipping. Considering that I could buy a nice full tank from him for like $90... $40 just feels like a lot for the lid. I hope he sends me a pic of one today. If I like it enough I might buy it anyways.

Last edited:

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We make ours out of plexi-glass that we purchase at Home Depot, you also have to buy the knife(less than $5), you'll need a yard stick(we had one already), a drill or a soldering iron(to make ventilation holes), small metal hinges and some screws(for arboreal), clear packing tape. They aren't as beautiful as those pictured, but they aren't ugly either. Definitely cheaper and if you are handy with things, you should be able to make one. I wrote a tutorial in a thread once, I don't have time to find it now, but you can find it with an advanced search of my posts with the word "plexiglass(or plexi-glass).

EDIT: no you can't, but I will find it!

Last edited:

Titandan

Arachnopeon
I think the petco's have a 10 gallon for $10 thing going on. I think it's called the $1 per gallon sale or something. But unfortunately, the 5 gallons go for more than the 10 gallon. You also need a petco card but that's free so there you go.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
We make ours out of plexi-glass that we purchase at Home Depot, you also have to buy the knife(less than $5), you'll need a yard stick(we had one already), a drill or a soldering iron(to make ventilation holes), small metal hinges and some screws(for arboreal), clear packing tape. They aren't as beautiful as those pictured, but they aren't ugly either. Definitely cheaper and if you are handy with things, you should be able to make one. I wrote a tutorial in a thread once, I don't have time to find it now, but you can find it with an advanced search of my posts with the word "plexiglass(or plexi-glass).
Agreed. If you have the tooling and skills and a plastic supply place nearby, it's less expensive and more rewarding to make your own. Acrylic isn't easy to work with, however. Plan on buying excess and practice on scrap first.

If I didn't have the above, though, I would buy those lids. They are quite nice and knowing how much work goes into even a simply designed lid, the price isn't bad. As stated, buy several at a time to negate shipping costs.