Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Lets talk tank decor!

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Curry, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Curry

Curry Arachnoknight Old Timer

Advertisement
    So I've been keep scorps for a good while now and I notice that I've never really made my tanks look... say... attractive.

I almost never go into my tanks to extract my scorps for any reason except for feeding time. I only feed crickets so there's never a mess or anything.

I saw a few pictures and did some searching and I found some impressive setups but I wanted more ideas. What do you guys think I could do to make my setups look a little more natural and "full"

The tanks I want to "dress up" are a Flat rock scorp tank and communal c. exilicauda tank.

2. signinsimple

signinsimple Arachnobaron

NYC

If you like my set up here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=140578

I'd be happy to tell you how I did it (not so hard at all). My set up is for forest scorps, but you could still use alot of the concepts for your c. exilicauda's and just keep the humidity a bit lower (the flat rock scorps probably need more rock than wood). All the wood I used I got in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Looks like you are in Queens, so there should be a park near you where you can go for a short walk and get a bunch of free dead wood (and you'll have tons to choose from so you can be picky as to which pieces to take). If the pickings are slim by you, I can tell you where I went in Prospect park (but pretty much anywhere there was alot to choose from)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  3. im really into making my tank authentic as possible and appealing to the eye. on awesome thing i did was to take my log hide,which i bought at petco, all it is is a 6 inch long hollow segment-semi cirle of log (if that jumble makes any sense haha), and i drilled some hole in it. then i went to michaels craft store and bought fake ferns and jungle plants and tore seperate peice of the ferns and hot glued them into the holes i drilled into the wood. it looks like a rotting log with plants growing out of it. i also cut a piece of PVC pipe and hot glued it to the side of the tank, so i can have a burrow that can bee seen from outside. ultimately it falls below the layer of subsrate. i have pictures posted.

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is my old set up, but the bottom left shows the burrow i can look into
    [​IMG]

5. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

here is a 10 gal i did for about 35 of what were then called C. exilicauda, though i believe the name has shifted back to C. sculpturatus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    later on i decided to remove a few rocks and throw in the cork
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Vidaro

Vidaro Arachnobaron Old Timer

nice decos guys:) unfortunatly mine is crap so i wont show anything but my cousin did an amazing paludarium and a frog vivarium,im thinking of doing something similar for my emp or my T's tank ill try to get the pictures of him

7. AWESOME desert setup, how do you keep those rocks from falling over? im guessing glued to the bottom? then you just fill the bottom with sand?

8. Michiel

Michiel Arachnoking Old Timer

I am pleasantly surprised! Nice setups! Everytime when decoration is discussed by US keepers I immediatly think of pink gravel, yellow fluorescent skulls and UVstroboscope lights. Disco-migraine setups. :D
    I hope to adjust these thoughts in the near future!

9. pandinus

pandinus Arachnoking Old Timer

actually i put a dab of silicone on the back of the large rock, and all the others are just propped against the glass and buried deep enough they wont move

i dont know wehter to feel complimented or insulted

John

10. Curry

Curry Arachnoknight Old Timer

Thanks for all the responses guys. I haven't had a chance to fully read the thread a little busy with work and stuff.. I skimmed and saw some awesome setups. I shall try to read it through a little later.

Thanks again, the pics were great. Feel free to post up more!

11. Demon187

Demon187 Arachnosquire

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. RoachGirlRen

RoachGirlRen Arachnoangel

Wow, great enclosures everyone! :clap: I love how naturalistic yours looks, pandinus!

Mine are no great shakes, but I generally like to include two hides, something to climb over, and something to burrow under (ie. leaf litter). I lack plants because I use storage bins, which don't have much height.

[​IMG]
    Example of a bin for an emp or forest scorp, though I generally prefer a half-log for a hide, not a coconut shell.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.