lets talk spiders

MuddyRedneck

Arachnopeon
hey everyone, so ill start by admitting im am deathly afraid of spiders to the point of wanting to run away and hide in a corner :p however.. im tierd of the jokes my family decides to make so i think its time to conqour my fear.. i want a spider and im comming to ask what you all would recommend. iv done no research yet because to be completly honest i dont know where to start after you suggest a few ill read up. id really like somthing that gets slightly larger (not a dinner plate) but something ill be able to see and watch. nothing that moves to quick, basically a bigger spider

suggestions and why they are a good starter are greatly appriciated

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For you....Something on the slow and calm side.
Grammostola rosea.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Howdy...

I am going to have to suggest a Grammastola pulchripes.. 1) They are gorgeous... 2) They get to a pretty good size... I believe I read they hit 7"-8" DLS.. 3) They are IME one of the calmest spiders..

So.. This is what I will go with as a great begginers SP.. :)

I am not one to suggest handling.. However.. If you decide to hold it.. Be sure to be close to the floor.. NEVER... I mean NEVER.. Handle your spider while standing.. If it gets spooked.. It will dart.. You will drop it.. It will die..
Sit on the floor or bed.. While handling your spider.. IF you decide to handle it..

Also.. Be very careful.. This is a very VERY addictive hobby.. :D

I started with a G. rosea.. I had the same fear.. Got on to get over my fear.. Now.. Im stuck in the hobby.. :D

Last edited:

MuddyRedneck

Arachnopeon
I mean id like to have one that's. Handleable, just because I think this will help me get overmy hear quicker, I figure the best way to beat something is to face it head on and what way better then to have something depending on me to make ya step up to the plate. I'm more in to herps tho so I think ill be good with one *knocks on wood* haha how big of a tank would something that gets that big need? Like a 10 gallon?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For a Grammastola.. I would say 10 gallon or a 20 gallon long... But.. You can go to Wal-Mart & pick up a sterilite tub with a locking lid.. Drill some holes.. Add some coco fibers, water dish, & a hide.. Then your good to go.. They are not as tall as a fish tank.. Meaning they dont need as much substrate.. Saves money in the long run IMO..

The only critters I have in a tank are ones that are arboreals.. The terrestrials all have a plastic tub..

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, and potentially to the hobby, Muddy. :D

I've read of several people who have gotten into keeping tarantulas as a way to get over being afraid of spiders, and ended up really liking it. Ts (short for tarantulas) are very interesting creatures!

Be sure to make good use of the 'search' option on these boards. There are actually A LOT of threads with information about which species are recommended for beginners- it's a great place to start!

Just about all of the Ts that you will want to start with are what are called 'new world,' meaning that they are native to north and south america. New world species are GENERALLY much more calm and docile than 'old world' (coming from europe, asia, africa and australia). New worlds, however, do have 'urticating hair', which means that they can kick hairs at you that are very itchy, some people are even allergic to them. This is a defense maneuver, but it means that new world Ts are less likely to bite. Also, new world Ts are generally less venomous.

A few species that you might consider:

Grammostola rosea, the 'rose hair.' A very common pet store variety T, most people will start with these. They are docile, but can be known to have mood swings sometimes. :)

Grammostola pulchripes, the 'chaco golden knee.' This T is one of the biggest beginner Ts, but also one of the gentlest.

Grammastola albopilosum, the 'curly hair.' This T has longer hair, which gives it a friendly 'cuddly' look. They also are known to have good appetites and grow quickly.

Brachypelma smithi, the 'mexican red knee.' These Ts have a nice color pattern, and are also docile and easy to raise.

Tarantulas can be purchased as adults or spiderlings (called 'slings'). Adults are more expensive, but you can oftentimes (if you buy from a BREEDER) know what the sex is. Most people prefer females because they live longer. Slings are fun because you can watch them molt and go through changes as they grow.

Goodluck, and remember to use the SEARCH option to find TONS of info!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards, and potentially to the hobby, Muddy. :D

I've read of several people who have gotten into keeping tarantulas as a way to get over being afraid of spiders, and ended up really liking it. Ts (short for tarantulas) are very interesting creatures!

Be sure to make good use of the 'search' option on these boards. There are actually A LOT of threads with information about which species are recommended for beginners- it's a great place to start!

Just about all of the Ts that you will want to start with are what are called 'new world,' meaning that they are native to north and south america. New world species are GENERALLY much more calm and docile than 'old world' (coming from europe, asia, africa and australia). New worlds, however, do have 'urticating hair', which means that they can kick hairs at you that are very itchy, some people are even allergic to them. This is a defense maneuver, but it means that new world Ts are less likely to bite. Also, new world Ts are generally less venomous.

Grammostola rosea, the 'rose hair.' A very common pet store variety T, most people will start with these. They are docile, but can be known to have mood swings sometimes. :)

Grammostola pulchripes, the 'chaco golden knee.' This T is one of the biggest beginner Ts, but also one of the gentlest.

Grammastola albopilosum, the 'curly hair.' This T has longer hair, which gives it a friendly 'cuddly' look. They also are known to have good appetites and grow quickly.

Brachypelma smithi, the 'mexican red knee.' These Ts have a nice color pattern, and are also docile and easy to raise.

Tarantulas can be purchased as adults or spiderlings (called 'slings'). Adults are more expensive, but you can oftentimes (if you buy from a BREEDER) know what the sex is. Most people prefer females because they live longer. Slings are fun because you can watch them molt and go through changes as they grow.

Goodluck, and remember to use the SEARCH option to find TONS of info!
Its actually a Brachypelma albopilosum.. Not Grammastola..

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
^I kinda wondered if there was some intergeneric hybridization going on we didn't know about {D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While we're on spelling, isn't it Grammostola?
My books say it's with an o.
Well.. First off.. We are not talking about spelling.. We are talking about the wrong specie name with the wrong genus.. ;)

But thank you for correcting my spelling.. :)

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, I knew it was the wrong species name for the wrong genus. Spelling was just the word I used. Guess I coulda said "since we're talking about being wrong"...:cool:

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As others have said you should probably start out with a terrestrial, new world, desert tarantula such as Gramostola rosea(the chilean rose or rose hair tarantula). My first T was a rosea that i got about a year ago and i now have three tarantulas and a scorpion(the G rosea, an Avicularia avicularia, an Avicularia versicolor, and the scorp is an emperor scorpion). You might notice that this forum mostly used the scientific names for tarantulas, this is because the common names can be very confusing for alot of reasons.

Every T species has different husbandry requirements so i recommend you look up caresheets for whatever species you decide to get.

This thread highlights what i like about the tarantula keeping community on this forum and elsewhere on the internet. So many other hobby communities and forums tend to me very insular and turn against beginners with questions, yes the forum has a useful search function but sometimes beginners really do need a back and forth dialogue with experts in order to learn and feel comfortable with the knowledge they gain. Our hobby needs lots of newbs in order to grow so i think it's great that we get so many theads like this rehashing information.

popcangenie

Arachnosquire

i would not get a rosie they seem to be kinda boring to me but the Grammostola pulchripes or Brachypelma albopilosum my fav beginners :D

popcangenie

Arachnosquire
differs in people but my Rosie is boring eats poops and sits there... my curly hair seems to be very active and a great eater

Dexter

Arachnopeon
I personally feel any of the aphonopelma are better choices. My rosie is docile too but man I can pinch grab just about any aphonopelma that I own and they are WAYYYY more docile then my rosie is. Plus they are atleast slightly more colorful then the rosies.

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Another vote for a G. pulchripes (chaco golden knee). I've found them to be fairly consistent with their attitude/behavior.

Have also heard very positive things about B. albopilosum also being very easy going.

G. rosea on the other hand... They seem to be a hit or miss from individual to individual, day to day.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its actually a Brachypelma albopilosum.. Not Grammastola..
Oh no, i fail! lol, with a reply that long i was bound to make a mistake or two! :D And i actually HAVE one of these, she is my most docile T, <3 her.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Get a C.Fasciatum !! :D just kidding thats deffinatly not a beginner T :) I recomend a B.Albo! I have had many Roseas and they can be fiesty sometimes. my 2 B.Albo's are friendly and cute! :}

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
My top beginners list goes in no particular order:
G. pulchripes
G. pulchra
B. smithi
B. albopilosum
B. albiceps
A. avic
Anyone of those is a fine choice. I sugguest getting one around 1-2" leg span.
That way you can "bond" with it while it grows up. Its more personal to me when i see them grow up from slings. "means spiderlings" This will be a great thread because your afraid of spiders and we can watch you over come your fear and turn into ONE OF US ;P