Let's see those enclosures!

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Going to the store tomorrow after work to pick up more substrate to fill it up more and basically just move everything up, i will get more fake plants to add as anchors and see if theres a better locking device for the lid. Any ideas for cutting aquarium glass? or how i can add more ventilation in here?
You need to move the sling to a smaller enclosure. A 16oz deli cup would give it plenty of room and they're very cheap. Save the aquarium for when it's full-sized.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
No idea. If it is indeed a PVC coupler, then I'd imagine it's made of PVC. Not sure, though.
I just removed them all...the tripepii wasn't thrilled about it. Now I'm trying to come up with other hides of about the same dimensions for those matchbox car enclosures. I guess copper pipe is out because it might have sharp edges...Chapstick containers might also be toxic when cut...anyone with other ideas feel free to chime in.

Belegnole

Tarantula Guy
Old Timer
Hi Joly,

No need to cut any glass. However I would strongly advise creating a smaller enclosure until your GBB grows a bit. As much as we may feel bad putting them in a small space it can actually be better for them.

First you will be able to find it. Second it will be able to find food easier. It will also find the water dish. On top of that it will feel less exposed and more likely be out for you to see.

I chose to use a larger than normal container for my GBB sling at around 4 x 8 times it's body length if I remember correctly and that worked well. I also went for a bit more on the room above the substrate, like 2 1/2 body lengths. If you have a Office Depot around they usually carry Really Useful Boxes. They come in all sorts of sizes including some that are great for slings. They are pretty clear for soft plastic and the lid clips. All that needs to be done is drill some holes for ventilation and fill some gaps on the lid to prevent escapes with small slings. The mod is easy and I'll explain it if your interested.

If you're determine to keep it in the aquarium first let us see the top. Second we may end up telling you to cut some plexiglass and drill a bunch of holes in it.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I just removed them all...the tripepii wasn't thrilled about it. Now I'm trying to come up with other hides of about the same dimensions for those matchbox car enclosures. I guess copper pipe is out because it might have sharp edges...Chapstick containers might also be toxic when cut...anyone with other ideas feel free to chime in.
You can buy PVC joints in just about any size. Home Depot sells them singly for a few cents a piece. Just don't cut them and you'll be fine. They sell them as small as 0.5" in diameter.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
You can buy PVC joints in just about any size. Home Depot sells them singly for a few cents a piece. Just don't cut them and you'll be fine. They sell them as small as 0.5" in diameter.
Update: If any of you are using the Hobby Lobby matchbox car enclosures, I have found a nearly identical size hide as the one I previously pictured, only this one requires no cutting, and thus is safer. The item is made by Lasco Fittings Inc, and the description on the package is Nipple 1/2 X 1 + 1/8 (although the actual measured length of it is 1 + 1/4.) The UPC is 025528118129 and they cost 47 cents at Lowe's. They have threading on the outside and are completely smooth tubes inside.

Thanks again to EulersK for pointing the cut PVC hazard out.

Edit: here are a few photos of the new hide I described above:

View media item 38935View media item 38936View media item 38937

Last edited:

joly17

Arachnopeon
alright.. so after me being an arrogant ass and leaving him in there despite all of your help! came home from my buddys place across the hall and looked in there to see the sling and lo and behold could not find him. i found him between the lid of the tank and the lip it rests on.. too tight of a clearance for him to escape so hey i got that bit right ;) I grabbed a catch cup and got him safely in there and now hes happily in an enclosure from jamies tarantulas and I've got a 75 dollar set up that he will hopefully grow into. thanks for advice and sorry i didnt heed it earlier.

Attachments

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Haha, I am very familiar with those containers. Note mine above, is made out of the baseball case version (of course purchased with the glorious 40% off coupon). I was wondering what that gray colored hide you are using is made from?
I am using a bunch of the baseball cases and softball cases. They are excellent.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
alright.. so after me being an arrogant ass and leaving him in there despite all of your help! came home from my buddys place across the hall and looked in there to see the sling and lo and behold could not find him. i found him between the lid of the tank and the lip it rests on.. too tight of a clearance for him to escape so hey i got that bit right ;) I grabbed a catch cup and got him safely in there and now hes happily in an enclosure from jamies tarantulas and I've got a 75 dollar set up that he will hopefully grow into. thanks for advice and sorry i didnt heed it earlier.
You are doing well. We all have done our mistakes as we learn. I know I have made my share. That is where this forum is such a big help.

What are those two yellow things in front of the hide? They almost look like broken pencils.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't worry, GBBs grow fast. It'll be ready for that big enclosure in not too long.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
for smaller slings I will cut up a very large straw (like the ones used for boba tea) and hot glue dirt or a leaf on it.

Large slings I buy miniature pots, smash them with a hammer. Hot glue the pieces back together to my liking. I get two hides out of this. I will post pictures of it later.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just got Kenneth (my C. Cyaneopubescens) some new digs! Lets see your enclosures/terrariums!
Enclosure for Muffet, my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling. (She has already built elaborate silk tunnels under the leaves.) She often stands motionless in this spot on the edge of her web, waiting to ambush prey.

joly17

Arachnopeon
Enclosure for Muffet, my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling. (She has already built elaborate silk tunnels under the leaves.) She often stands motionless in this spot on the edge of her web, waiting to ambush prey.

awesome!!

Devin B

Arachnobaron
This is the latest picture I have of my GBB's enclosure. Ive added chop stick for anchor points and it really has taken a liking to them. You can see him enjoying a mealworm i had feed him.

I need a more recent picture of all my T's

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
This is my setup for my juvenile. She's not been in there that long but I think she'll be setting up camp under the fake cactus where she's currently sat as that's where she's put down the most webbing so far, I always give her a cork hide but she almost never uses them.

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
Will post pictures later, mine aren't very exciting just small plastic Tupperware containers lol. But making themselves right at home.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
Top pic is my A. avicularia enclosures. Top one was done for a friend out of some microwave steamer thing I found at a flea market that had a built in top vent with a convenient cover for humidity control, which I modified slightly by adding cross ventilation. Bottom two are made out of Hobby Lobby display cases like @CyclingSam and others have done. My sling enclosures in the second pic are from Jamie's, but I added extra ventilation.

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would advise against doing that. Cut PVC releases toxic gases, and raw PVC keeps releasing it for quite some time. Heat molded pipes (the smooth kind, like you mentioned) are perfectly safe until you cut it.

How do I know? I cut PVC pipe to create hides and wound up killing a few of my juvies. Some research yielded that info.
What kind of cutting? With electric fast moving machines i can imagine it releases gasses since the pvc gets hot because of the friction. Do you get this by hand-cutting as well? Can you link the info please?