Let's see those enclosures!

joly17

Arachnopeon
Just got Kenneth (my C. Cyaneopubescens) some new digs! Lets see your enclosures/terrariums!

Attachments

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That enclosure is... wholly inappropriate. On top of it being multitudes larger than it needs to be, it's not even set up for a webbing tarantula.

Your tarantula will struggle to find food, but more importantly, I imagine that it's very easy to escape from. What type of lid are you using? Any holes larger than the carapace of the spider is an escape route. Spiders can squeeze through very small spaces

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Nice enclosure, but that tiny guy is swimming in it! Seems too large at the moment. Also, it needs more webbing points...toothpicks, BBQ wooden stakes, something.

joly17

Arachnopeon
That enclosure is... wholly inappropriate. On top of it being multitudes larger than it needs to be, it's not even set up for a webbing tarantula.

Your tarantula will struggle to find food, but more importantly, I imagine that it's very easy to escape from. What type of lid are you using? Any holes larger than the carapace of the spider is an escape route. Spiders can squeeze through very small spaces
At its current size im feeding it freshly killed mealworms so i dont imagine it being very difficult.. ;) trying to think of what i could add to the cage to set it up for a webbing spider... Any suggestions? I have a lid on top that just sits and wraps around the frame with these clips i purchased from the store that clamp it down with the frame. Again, any suggestions on different ways i can secure the lid would be appreciated! Can I see your enclosure?

Haemus

Arachnosquire
I agree with going with a smaller enclosure. I keep mine in nothing fancy; just a deli container, bit of moss for cover, sticks for anchors, and a dish for water.
DSC_3563.jpg

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
It would be much easier to manage that little guy in a much smaller enclosure. Try something like this. http://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Ho...eball-Display-Case-with-Plastic-Base/p/108343 Throw in some twigs (well-cleaned of course) and watch it settle in an make a big messy web. I'll try and get you a pick of mine in a minute.
Here is a picture of mine.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Just got Kenneth (my C. Cyaneopubescens) some new digs! Lets see your enclosures/terrariums!
Where's the tarantula? (looks again) Oh, wait, is it the smudge on the glass?

As the previous commenters mentioned, that T would really be better off in a smaller enclosure.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
At its current size im feeding it freshly killed mealworms so i dont imagine it being very difficult.. ;) trying to think of what i could add to the cage to set it up for a webbing spider... Any suggestions?
A LOT more substrate. If your T fell from the top of that right now, it would probably rupture its abdomen and die. The space from the lid to the substrate should be no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
A LOT more substrate. If your T fell from the top of that right now, it would probably rupture its abdomen and die. The space from the lid to the substrate should be no more than 1.5 times the tarantula's diagonal leg span.
Did you miss the T? Its on the back wall against the glass. I think it would just float down at that size! :troll:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
What is your hide made from?
Hobby Lobby sells a 6-pack of acrylic Matchbox/Hot Wheels car display cases for $7.99. There is always a 40% coupon on their website, so after that and tax, these containers are less than $1.00 each. Drill some holes in each side for ventilation, and you're good to go.

Most of my containers are either acrylic or modded glass tanks with acrylic lids, because I like seeing them as much as possible.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
Hobby Lobby sells a 6-pack of acrylic Matchbox/Hot Wheels car display cases for $7.99. There is always a 40% coupon on their website, so after that and tax, these containers are less than $1.00 each. Drill some holes in each side for ventilation, and you're good to go.

Most of my containers are either acrylic or modded glass tanks with acrylic lids, because I like seeing them as much as possible.
Haha, I am very familiar with those containers. Note mine above, is made out of the baseball case version (of course purchased with the glorious 40% off coupon). I was wondering what that gray colored hide you are using is made from?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Haha, I am very familiar with those containers. Note mine above, is made out of the baseball case version (of course purchased with the glorious 40% off coupon). I was wondering what that gray colored hide you are using is made from?
(Edit:

Warning: Cut PVC releases toxic gases over time, so do not do this. Leaving it here to help others avoid making the same mistake. Read on for more info.)

I purchased a 3/4 inch PVC pipe coupler at Lowe's for 38 cents, and then used my dremel to cut out the middle section and then sand all the edges smooth. You get 2 hides out of each one. The inside is just a smooth tube. They come in larger sizes as well, for upgrades.

View media item 38920
View media item 38921

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I purchased a 3/4 inch PVC pipe coupler at Lowe's for 38 cents, and then used my dremel to cut out the middle section and then sand all the edges smooth. You get 2 hides out of each one. The inside is just a smooth tube. They come in larger sizes as well, for upgrades.

I would advise against doing that. Cut PVC releases toxic gases, and raw PVC keeps releasing it for quite some time. Heat molded pipes (the smooth kind, like you mentioned) are perfectly safe until you cut it.

How do I know? I cut PVC pipe to create hides and wound up killing a few of my juvies. Some research yielded that info.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I would advise against doing that. Cut PVC releases toxic gases, and raw PVC keeps releasing it for quite some time. Heat molded pipes (the smooth kind, like you mentioned) are perfectly safe until you cut it.

How do I know? I cut PVC pipe to create hides and wound up killing a few of my juvies. Some research yielded that info.
My next question: are these couplers actually made of PVC, though? I'm having some trouble finding out.

Edit: On the packaging it says PVC-1 D2609. I googled that and came up with a similar product from Home Depot. I guess it is PVC. :eek:

Well, I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Great minds think alike and all that. Time to come up with another hide for those enclosures.

Last edited:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Where's the tarantula? (looks again) Oh, wait, is it the smudge on the glass?

As the previous commenters mentioned, that T would really be better off in a smaller enclosure.
I did the same thing.. I saw everyone pounding him for having a tiny sling in a big enclosure and wondered if he had made a thread in the past about picking it up or something.. I had to look at the pic 4 times to see the little bugger :rofl:

joly17

Arachnopeon
Going to the store tomorrow after work to pick up more substrate to fill it up more and basically just move everything up, i will get more fake plants to add as anchors and see if theres a better locking device for the lid. Any ideas for cutting aquarium glass? or how i can add more ventilation in here?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My next question: are these couplers actually made of PVC, though? I'm having some trouble finding out.
No idea. If it is indeed a PVC coupler, then I'd imagine it's made of PVC. Not sure, though.