Let's see those enclosures!

Esherman81

Arachnoknight
Going to the store tomorrow after work to pick up more substrate to fill it up more and basically just move everything up, i will get more fake plants to add as anchors and see if theres a better locking device for the lid. Any ideas for cutting aquarium glass? or how i can add more ventilation in here?
I would be scared too lose it , such a little guy ..

Last edited:

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
IMG_1384.JPG IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG

My starter enclosures for my l.parahybana.
The first one is Charlotte's close up. She/he has been pulling food closer to the burrow and sticking it in the top of the entrance so it doesn't have to come out and eat. Kronk hasn't touched his yet, I think he is getting ready to molt soon. Yay!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's actually heating it that's the problem, but what saw doesn't produce a good amount of frictional heat?

https://www.consumer.org.my/index.php/products/106-household/206-pvc-plastic-products-outgas-poisons
Maybe really old fashioned, and i don't know the name for it in english, but I think this one wouldn't heat as much. Of course I am not going to test the theory I was just wondering what made it so dangerous.
2017-03-17-16-04-01-273674713.jpeg

Edit: the info you provided says 'burning' is the most dangerous. But in an earlier post in this thread someone mentioned that flaming the pvc to create a molten look isn't dangerous..
I don't see the difference between burning or heating it up by machine powered sawing.
To me it seems that all processes which include heating would be dangerous.
I always wonder how they come to these conclusions. They say this is dangerous and thar, but never have studies by independant scientists readily available.

Last edited:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Maybe really old fashioned, and i don't know the name for it in english, but I think this one wouldn't heat as much. Of course I am not going to test the theory I was just wondering what made it so dangerous.
View attachment 234288
I have no idea what that is... a hacksaw? The blade almost looks like a cable.

I mean, if PVC must be cut, there's an easy way to fix it. Just apply a generous coat of your favorite invert-safe sealant. Hot glue, Plastidip, silicone, ModPodge, etc...

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

I mean, if PVC must be cut, there's an easy way to fix it. Just apply a generous coat of your favorite invert-safe sealant. Hot glue, Plastidip, silicone, ModPodge, etc...
I edited my post, forgot to add something

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor

It looks a bit similar to a hacksaw, yes. But the blade is much thinner and smaller.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
the info you provided says 'burning' is the most dangerous. But in an earlier post in this thread someone mentioned that flaming the pvc to create a molten look isn't dangerous..
I don't see the difference between burning or heating it up by machine powered sawing.
I always wonder how they come to these conclusions. They say this is dangerous and thar, but never have studies by independant scientists readily available.
Yeah, in fact, I know that burning PVC to make it look like bamboo is a common practice with boa keepers. @viper69 is the one that showed me that. It looks really cool, but I don't see how it'd be safe.

I tend to play it safe with my spiders. If I even hear a mumble of something being dangerous, I consider it. I may be a bit too paranoid at times, honestly.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
It's a 'Bloodborne' trick-weapon :-s
Nah, it is only dangerous to the person using it. Those damn blades can snap loose if you don't put them in exactly right, and boomerang right back to you.
But they are great for precision cutting. Most of the time.:D

runCMD

Arachnopeon
My GBB setup with hide from @Abyss

It has molted since this picture and has really taken to webbing up that quarter tube.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
@Andrea82
That saw, in the U.S., is referred as a "coping saw". Used mainly by wood craftsmen, old timers like me have them, a very useful tool. The modern, motorized version is a "scroll saw", mine has a 20" throat.

I've used PVC and CPVC tubing, cut on angle, as hides for slings in the past w/o any deaths. The H. maculatas have 3" PVC tubes in their enclosures, ruffed up inside and out w/h 80 grit sandpaper, both still alive. I could say that the PVC hide killed a C. albostriatum sling years ago, but why are its sac mates still alive and all were kept similarly?
I'm skeptical that PVC/CPVC (plastics) will cause death to a tarantula. If this were the case, why the wide use of it in enclosures? Plastic water dishes, foilage, RUBs and hides are commonly used and all manufactored using toxic chemicals (chlorine, petroleum,etc.).

I read the article and agree on the manufactoring and the chemical makeup, but noted: toxic to humans and animals. Yes, invertabrates are classifed as "Animalia", but their physical characteristics are far from being similar/close to what the article is referencing. I can't totally rule out the possibility of harm to inverts, but highly doubt its the only cause.

@joly17, I agree w/h others, your sling would be better off in a smaller enclosure for the reasons stated. Photo of my 3" GBB in its 8" cube. Rehoused 3 weeks ago and still adds more webbing each day. If you rehouse to something else, keep that one for future use,they grow fast. ;) 3in GBB.jpg

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
@Andrea82
That saw, in the U.S., is referred as a "coping saw". Used mainly by wood craftsmen, old timers like me have them, a very useful tool. The modern, motorized version is a "scroll saw", mine has a 20" throat.

I've used PVC and CPVC tubing, cut on angle, as hides for slings in the past w/o any deaths. The H. maculatas have 3" PVC tubes in their enclosures, ruffed up inside and out w/h 80 grit sandpaper, both still alive. I could say that the PVC hide killed a C. albostriatum sling years ago, but why are its sac mates still alive and all were kept similarly?
I'm skeptical that PVC/CPVC (plastics) will cause death to a tarantula. If this were the case, why the wide use of it in enclosures? Plastic water dishes, foilage, RUBs and hides are commonly used and all manufactored using toxic chemicals (chlorine, petroleum,etc.).

I read the article and agree on the manufactoring and the chemical makeup, but noted: toxic to humans and animals. Yes, invertabrates are classifed as "Animalia", but their physical characteristics are far from being similar/close to what the article is referencing. I can't totally rule out the possibility of harm to inverts, but highly doubt its the only cause.

@joly17, I agree w/h others, your sling would be better off in a smaller enclosure for the reasons stated. Photo of my 3" GBB in its 8" cube. Rehoused 3 weeks ago and still adds more webbing each day. If you rehouse to something else, keep that one for future use,they grow fast. ;) View attachment 234300
:eek: I'm an old timer too for using this??
:D

Jeff23

Arachnolord
View attachment 234288

Edit: the info you provided says 'burning' is the most dangerous. But in an earlier post in this thread someone mentioned that flaming the pvc to create a molten look isn't dangerous..
That is a fret saw if it has the thin blade.

On every link I viewed the article specified heat and vacuum (outer space) as the two methods that maximize release of the outgassing. I don't personally think there would be any exceptions or at least I didn't see any.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
:
:
:

@joly17, I agree w/h others, your sling would be better off in a smaller enclosure for the reasons stated. Photo of my 3" GBB in its 8" cube. Rehoused 3 weeks ago and still adds more webbing each day. If you rehouse to something else, keep that one for future use,they grow fast. ;) View attachment 234300
I haven't seen PVC used in any enclosures, but if you do I would avoid them. Sterilite containers do not use PVC.

Q: What materials are used to manufacture Sterilite products?
A: Our products are made of polypropylene and polyethylene that are safe for food storage. No PVCs, Latex, Teflon, Phthalates chemicals, fungicides, Bishphenol A (BPAs), or antibacterial chemicals are used in our manufacturing process. Our clear (see-through) products are acid-free, and safe for storing photos, fabrics, craft, or hobby items and other keepsakes. We do not recommend the use of plastic products for negatives that are glass plate, nitrate or acetate-based.
http://www.sterilite.com/general_info.html

Jeff23

Arachnolord
:eek: I'm an old timer too for using this??
:D
You are allowed to feel younger again. :D There has been a revival in use of hand tools over the last decade. There are now numerous people (I'm a beginner) who are doing woodwork with only hand tools. Here in North America Lie Nielsen, Rob Cosman, Bad Axe, Blue Spruce, Veritas, etc. make really high quality planes, saws, chisels, etc.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, in fact, I know that burning PVC to make it look like bamboo is a common practice with boa keepers. @viper69 is the one that showed me that. It looks really cool, but I don't see how it'd be safe.

I tend to play it safe with my spiders. If I even hear a mumble of something being dangerous, I consider it. I may be a bit too paranoid at times, honestly.
Actually there's a whole hobby of people using PVC to make simulated bamboo, but not for reptiles. Then that carried over into reptiles IMO. Chondro owners have been using PVC pieces for eons with no known issues for branches for their snakes. Many top Chondro breeders use PVC because it's simple, cheap and has no problems w/the high humidity needed for Chondro keeping.

I found a guy on another forum using PVC and a flame torch, using heat to change its color shape a bit, ultimately for T hides.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
My GBB setup with hide from @Abyss

It has molted since this picture and has really taken to webbing up that quarter tube.
Looks good an looks to fit great which is what i was tryin for an really hopeing we accomplished!!! Need a current pic now w/all the webbing tho! GBB's web jobs are amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Actually there's a whole hobby of people using PVC to make simulated bamboo, but not for reptiles. Then that carried over into reptiles IMO. Chondro owners have been using PVC pieces for eons with no known issues for branches for their snakes. Many top Chondro breeders use PVC because it's simple, cheap and has no problems w/the high humidity needed for Chondro keeping.

I found a guy on another forum using PVC and a flame torch, using heat to change its color shape a bit, ultimately for T hides.
Have a link to any tutorials? I am curious if its something i could use to better some of my hides? And if i cant then oerhaps just as a side project for my own enclosures. Sounds cool and im curious to see the finished product and process!!!