Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Possible "lethal" centipedes are as follows:

S. sp. Riau/and maybe Malaysia variant?
S. spinosissima
S. dehaani/cherry red
S. hainanum
S. sp. Tri color death crawler China

All of these I know can possibly cause bad enough allergic reactions in some people, and coupled with a weakened immune system and the correct bite location, could lead to death. There are a ton of factors that come into play on this sort of thing so no one can say "oh yeah those are deadly" but you can assume under the right circumstances, it is possible some species could lead to a fatality.

Last edited:

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Is there a difference between the Riau giant and the Malaysian variant? I know Stanley had blue legs; was that anything to do with locale?
Also, it's great to see you back!

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
....can possibly cause bad enough allergic reactions in some people, and coupled with a weakened immune system and the correct bite location, could lead to death.
Just as a matter of medical accuracy - allergic reactions are misguided immune responses. The stronger the immune system, the stronger the response. If you are highly allergic to something the best thing you can hope for is a weakened immune system. In such a case it's the strong immune response that would be dangerous.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Is there a difference between the Riau giant and the Malaysian variant? I know Stanley had blue legs; was that anything to do with locale?
Also, it's great to see you back!

Malaysian variants have white legs or green and not blue, at least the ones I've had.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
Just as a matter of medical accuracy - allergic reactions are misguided immune responses. The stronger the immune system, the stronger the response. If you are highly allergic to something the best thing you can hope for is a weakened immune system. In such a case it's the strong immune response that would be dangerous.
Very informative, thanks for the correction as my info could be misleading, I myself am not allergic and have a strong immune system so I don't personally know the intricacies of dying from such a thing. I simply know which species have very, very bad effects venom wise as I've tested them through SI.