lethal centipede?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Willuminati: I'm starting to think you're trolling me. If so, stop wasting peoples time. Otherwise do some research. I would suggest starting with "can animals reason" and "do animals all have the same mental complexity".
No im defending what i know, your ignorance is trolling you, and it always will until you become more open minded. and every now and then you'll run into someone like me who is gonna stand by what he knows until proven otherwise. also try working on that "im not telling anybody what to do" thing that you said you were doing, cause its gonna help you in the future.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Oh man that actually made me laugh out loud a little bit. What sesame street teacher told you that birds and mammals can think or reason?!?

Since you still wanna continue to argue tho...

Youre pretty much incorrect or out of line with everything youve stated. you dont have the knowledge or experience to debate any of these topics, and as i said before, your opinions and assumptions are completely irrelevant. its been a laugh reading your responses thanks for keeping my slow day at work occupied :happy:
It's sad when someone tells you don't know what your talking about but they are the ones who have no clue.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Willuminati: Seriously I wasn't looking for a flame war with anybody, was just curious about handling centipedes. Not sure why you got so upset, maybe because you didn't get much support for intentionally get bit. But I sincerely hope whatever you chose to do works out for you.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
every now and then you'll run into someone like me who is gonna stand by what he knows until proven otherwise
I agree sooooooo much with this XD....I literally see people shoving tubes up their butt washing their liver with coffee.
Me:"Why?"
They:"It's healthy."
Me:"Everyone gets old huh."
They are happy someone understand while I try not to think about it :eek:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Going back to an earlier point - about getting envenomated to build up resistance - that only works when you do not have an allergic response. Allergies are basically immune responses gone wrong. When they do not go wrong you can increase your resistance by repeated exposure. That's what vaccinations are all about. But if you get an allergic reaction just the opposite happens. Each exposure causes a more severe reaction, and it takes less allergen to cause a bad reaction. And if it reaches the level of anaphylaxis, you can die of anaphylactic shock in a manner of minutes. That's what happens with people who are allergic to bees. The first time they are stung not much happens. After a few more stings they get stronger reactions, such as hives, swelling, etc. More stings increase the sensitivity, not the resistance. And people die from a single sting if they become sensitive enough.

From personal experience I can give you both situations. I periodically get bitten by rattlesnakes. Not often, but it happens. I used antivenom for one bite and it turns out I had a bad enough reaction to antivenom that I stopped using it - but the bites themselves aren't terribly bad. The worst I've had yet was from a western diamondback that made my left arm swell up almost to the shoulder. By comparison - kissing bugs (Triatoma rubida) have bitten me enough that I've developed an allergy to them. The last time I ended up in the emergency room getting shots to bring down the swelling so that I could safely breathe - and now I keep an epi pen in my house in case of another bite, which I've been warned could induce anaphylactic shock.

So for the guy who got an allergic reaction to a centipede bite - "controlled bites" are likely to lead to more severe reactions, not resistance. And getting bitten by less toxic species won't help. If the venom components are the same as the ones you are allergic to - they could kill you. If they are different, you might be able to build a resistance to them, but it will have no effect whatever on the venoms that you are allergic to. You are certainly welcome to take your own risks - but you might want to learn more about the subject before you start your experiments. Talk with an allergist and get a professional opinion - it might save you from doing something really self-destructive by mistake.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
So for the guy who got an allergic reaction to a centipede bite - "controlled bites" are likely to lead to more severe reactions, not resistance. And getting bitten by less toxic species won't help. If the venom components are the same as the ones you are allergic to - they could kill you. .................. Talk with an allergist and get a professional opinion - it might save you from doing something really self-destructive by mistake.
That and that. I would not recommend getting bitten more. Not when you have been getting worse reactions and risk getting the allergy to a life-threatening level.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Willuminati: Seriously I wasn't looking for a flame war with anybody, was just curious about handling centipedes. Not sure why you got so upset, maybe because you didn't get much support for intentionally get bit. But I sincerely hope whatever you chose to do works out for you.
Well then
1. if you are curious about things you dont know anything about ask the questions you need to ask and take the answers with a little bit of respect.
2. I dont need nor look for support from anyone, nor do i get upset over an online debate (LOL) i simply chose to share my experience with others, some were just more appreciative than others.
3. No i did not get bit intentionally, YET

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Wow, how did I miss all this?

Anyway, here's my input. Firstly, just because the forced envenomations worked on Mike doesn't mean they'll work on you, especially when the current evidence suggests your reaction to the second bite was worse than the first (on the other hand, Thai dehaani apparently have a stronger venom than the regular variant, so it may be down to that). Regardless, it still means people are completely justified in stating that your reactions may end up getting worse. No need to rant on IG about Arachnoboards.

I'll also answer some other users' questions about handling centipedes. I consider it different from handling tarantulas for two major reasons: centipedes can be "socialized", and they are way less likely to be injured should a mishap occur. While it could be said that there is no outright benefit for the centipede, if done properly, they don't seem to be any worse off. A well-socialized pede shows no signs of stress - they'll happily feed and groom on one's hand, and will often curl up and rest there for long periods.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Wow, how did I miss all this?

Anyway, here's my input. Firstly, just because the forced envenomations worked on Mike doesn't mean they'll work on you, especially when the current evidence suggests your reaction to the second bite was worse than the first (on the other hand, Thai dehaani apparently have a stronger venom than the regular variant, so it may be down to that). Regardless, it still means people are completely justified in stating that your reactions may end up getting worse. No need to rant on IG about Arachnoboards.

I'll also answer some other users' questions about handling centipedes. I consider it different from handling tarantulas for two major reasons: centipedes can be "socialized", and they are way less likely to be injured should a mishap occur. While it could be said that there is no outright benefit for the centipede, if done properly, they don't seem to be any worse off. A well-socialized pede shows no signs of stress - they'll happily feed and groom on one's hand, and will often curl up and rest there for long periods.
Thank you for a reasonable answer. I was not trying to offend anyone or tell anyone that they shouldn't handle their centipedes when I gave my reasons for not handling. As a keeper of not only tarantulas, but also centipedes, scorpions, true spiders, and insects I'm fascinated by the different philosophies between the different subgroups of keepers. Beside the obvious different handling philosophies between T and pede keepers. For instance, I've read on arachnoboards several people who are T keepers saying that while they might keep a scorpion they would never get a centipede because they're "creepy" or "scary" - I just for the irony alone I find that interesting. And if you read the scorpion sting reports there seems to be some keepers who just can't keep their hands out of their scorpion's enclosure. And while I know these examples aren't the norm, these things do exist and are fascinating to me.

Captain Centipede

Arachnopeon
This can't be right, anybody here heard of this? I Googled this and can't find any other source than this Nat. Geo. photographer. The fact that he uses "sting" shows that he most likely doesn't know what he's talking about.

"A centipede on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea. This species’ sting is lethal within two hours."
https://www.joelsartore.com/ani079-00010/
This can't be right, anybody here heard of this? I Googled this and can't find any other source than this Nat. Geo. photographer. The fact that he uses "sting" shows that he most likely doesn't know what he's talking about.

"A centipede on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guinea. This species’ sting is lethal within two hours."
https://www.joelsartore.com/ani079-00010/
There’s no such thing as a lethal centipede. As for the story of the Vietnamese girl dying from a Spinosissima bite, I’ve been digging through the web and have found no evidence on it, just stories.

Staehilomyces

Arachnoprince
Thank you for a reasonable answer. I was not trying to offend anyone or tell anyone that they shouldn't handle their centipedes when I gave my reasons for not handling. As a keeper of not only tarantulas, but also centipedes, scorpions, true spiders, and insects I'm fascinated by the different philosophies between the different subgroups of keepers. Beside the obvious different handling philosophies between T and pede keepers. For instance, I've read on arachnoboards several people who are T keepers saying that while they might keep a scorpion they would never get a centipede because they're "creepy" or "scary" - I just for the irony alone I find that interesting. And if you read the scorpion sting reports there seems to be some keepers who just can't keep their hands out of their scorpion's enclosure. And while I know these examples aren't the norm, these things do exist and are fascinating to me.
Yeah, I completely agree with that. I'd also say I'm anti-handling when it comes to T's and most scorps.
I'm just glad you found my response reasonable; most freehandlers end up throwing tantrums when confronted, before bad mouthing AB on social media, and I'm glad I'm not like them.

Mastigoproctus

Centiman
I'm not going to read most of this, I got the just of it pretty quick. Someone wants to SI like I did, or is talking about it in some serious manor.

HERE ARE THE FACTS: What I did, I did to soothe my own curiosity, I NEVER suggest anyone else try it and despite how well I seem to take them, most of my first year doing them I was often left with massively swollen hands and arms, very unsightly. The pain was horrifying up until the middle of the second year and at that point all the effects started lessening at something of an accelerated rate.

The dangers of this don't simply lay on the pain or swelling, or allergies for that matter, but necrosis is very possible if outside contamination finds its way onto the maxillipedes of the centipede you are using, as well as abscess pockets forming on the pinch site. I also did Crotalus self envenomations at this point as I have been doing a lot of local snake work here in New Mexico, that's a whole different ball game, even more risky.

I now have basically full immunity other then minor stinging pain to S. dehaani, S. polymorpha, S. alternans, S. sp. "Galapagoensis", S. sp. "white leg gigantea" as well as seriously lessened effects to other "venomous heavyweight" species like spinosissima, cherry reds and a number of scorpions like Hottenttotta hottenttotta(there is plenty of video proof on a number of my profiles throughout the Internet for you non believers).

Now I have made some interesting discoveries through this, most noteworthy of those was recently with a local buddy who helped me get my first Hottenttotta SI. I had damage on my right hand not only from a large Crotalus atrox mistake bite (in the wild, my fault 100% due to trying to work with it on a sandy ledge resulting in a fall) but also a SI gone wrong, damaging the joint of my pointer finger, loss of full motion and the knuckle would no longer pop.

I took 3 hits one night from the H. hottenttotta and 7 a few nights later, all on the finger directly under the knuckle that's been damage, the first morning after for the first time in over a year, the knuckle didn't ache, and it popped. The second set of the 7 hits was much more painful, almost as bad as a big, S. spinosissima hit but the morning after my hand was virtually pain free and has full range of motion. I can only assume based on hits site and reaction, this improvement was was tied to the H. hottenttotta venom somehow.

Regardless, I will say what I did could be called stupid, it was extremely dangerous, painful, stressful, caused lots of lost ability to work at times and even cost me money. So decide what you want on the matter, but I do NOT condone trying it and will never suggest anyone else do it either.

Anyway, I'm still here, just because I do it doesn't make it right, and I can suggest something or say what I've heard but that doesn't make it fact.
Have an amazing day everyone, and thank you for years of support in me doing crazy stuff

~Michael