lethal centipede?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I'd expect it to have the opposite effect. And didn't you say your reaction had gotten worse?
Yeah it did, but like I said, I feel its worth the try in my case. I don't like constantly referring to medical accounts or personal accounts that everyone has disproved or given reason to discredit, so im just gonna find out for myself.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You could just try not getting bit. Its worked quite well for me so far. Seriously as someone who keeps all kinds of inverts I just don't get the need a lot of centipede keepers seem to have to handle, since it often leads to getting bit. Maybe I have a tarantula keepers bias against handling, but I just don't see the point. I'm not afraid of any of my inverts but I not looking to risk a painful bite or sting either. And I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to understand.

NYAN

Arachnoking
You could just try not getting bit. Its worked quite well for me so far. Seriously as someone who keeps all kinds of inverts I just don't get the need a lot of centipede keepers seem to have to handle, since it often leads to getting bit .
Centipedes are able to be socialized. handling does not often lead to bites either. Being bitten while handling isn’t all that common if you do it right.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
You could just try not getting bit. Its worked quite well for me so far. Seriously as someone who keeps all kinds of inverts I just don't get the need a lot of centipede keepers seem to have to handle, since it often leads to getting bit. Maybe I have a tarantula keepers bias against handling, but I just don't see the point. I'm not afraid of any of my inverts but I not looking to risk a painful bite or sting either. And I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just trying to understand.
Even then, there is a difference between working with and socializing a 'pede (which is what you're trying to understand, and nothing wrong with that, seems to be much like folks who work with socializing reptiles) and intentionally provoking an invert to get yourself envenomed, which is a completely different thing, and of no benefit and potentially harmful to the invert, really.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Centipedes are able to be socialized. handling does not often lead to bites either. Being bitten while handling isn’t all that common if you do it right.
Like I said, not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I'm just curious what people get out of handling. Especially when there's a risk, no matter how small. I kept all kinds of animals, and only ones I've "handled" are ones who chose it (cats, dogs, parrots, etc.) I just don't have any need to handle, so I wonder what the reasons are for people who do feel the need.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Even then, there is a difference between working with and socializing a 'pede (which is what you're trying to understand, and nothing wrong with that, seems to be much like folks who work with socializing reptiles)
But do centipedes benefit from "socializing"? Does it stress them? When I had snakes I had several that I could handle easily but they still spent this handling time trying to slither away, so I didn't handle them any more than necessary (cage cleaning, etc.).

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
But do centipedes benefit from "socializing"? Does it stress them? When I had snakes I had several that I could handle easily but they still spent this handling time trying to slither away, so I didn't handle them any more than necessary (cage cleaning, etc.).
I imagine human skin contact wouldn't improve their immune system :angelic:

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Like I said, not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I'm just curious what people get out of handling. Especially when there's a risk, no matter how small. I kept all kinds of animals, and only ones I've "handled" are ones who chose it (cats, dogs, parrots, etc.) I just don't have any need to handle, so I wonder what the reasons are for people who do feel the need.
A dog can bite your face off, ive seen my german shepard do it, and a parrot can snap off a finger no problem, ive also had a "domestic" cat ATTACK me and inflict some gnarley bite wounds, all are animals that are also able to learn to be social with humans and have been for hundreds of years considered "domesticated", but no one seems to question the need to keep those or pet them all day and carry them around the mall in little bags with their nails painted.

I do not , and never have told or advised that anyone handle a centipede of any sort for obvious reasons, however i do not practice what i preach in that case. As for why i feel the need to do so...well i couldnt really explain it, its something of an experience unlike anything you can ever get out of a youtube video instagram post or reading wikipedia. BUUUUUT at the end of it all "TO EACH HIS OWN" is something i often do preach and live up to on a daily basis.

With all that being said, dont handle pedes if you dont want to, vaccinate your cats and dogs, and always use precaution with and around ANY animal that has in its own way, the ability to defend itself.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
A dog can bite your face off, ive seen my german shepard do it, and a parrot can snap off a finger no problem, ive also had a "domestic" cat ATTACK me and inflict some gnarley bite wounds, all are animals that are also able to learn to be social with humans and have been for hundreds of years considered "domesticated", but no one seems to question the need to keep those or pet them all day and carry them around the mall in little bags with their nails painted.

I do not , and never have told or advised that anyone handle a centipede of any sort for obvious reasons, however i do not practice what i preach in that case. As for why i feel the need to do so...well i couldnt really explain it, its something of an experience unlike anything you can ever get out of a youtube video instagram post or reading wikipedia. BUUUUUT at the end of it all "TO EACH HIS OWN" is something i often do preach and live up to on a daily basis.

With all that being said, dont handle pedes if you dont want to, vaccinate your cats and dogs, and always use precaution with and around ANY animal that has in its own way, the ability to defend itself.
There's HUGE difference with cats, dogs, and parrots - they have brains. And as I said I let them chose to approach me so I never had a serious bite from any of them. What other people do with these animals that causes them to get bit, well books are literally written on those subjects.

Not sure why you rated my one post funny, because nothing really funny about it.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
I had several that I could handle easily but they still spent this handling time trying to slither away, so I didn't handle them any more than necessary (cage cleaning, etc.).
"Not sure why you rated my one post funny, because nothing really funny about it."
Cause your snakes probably just didnt like you, you too cold.

cats, dogs, and parrots - they have brains
Are you saying centipedes dont have Brains?

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Okay, the guy who's looking to intentionally get himself bit thinks MY posts are funnyo_O.
I mean youre over here saying you dont tell people what to do n what not yet here you are trying to argue about something you have absolutely NO real knowledge or experience with instead of practicing what YOU preach and letting others do their thing.
You think what im doing is dumb? well im sorry you feel that way. maybe one day youll open and expand that mind of yours because with that ignorant attitude you are irrelevant to me, along side your opinion :cigar:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I mean youre over here saying you dont tell people what to do n what not yet here you are trying to argue about something you have absolutely NO real knowledge or experience with instead of practicing what YOU preach and letting others do their thing.
You think what im doing is dumb? well im sorry you feel that way. maybe one day youll open and expand that mind of yours because with that ignorant attitude you are irrelevant to me, along side your opinion :cigar:
Dude, calm down, do what you want. But don't expect people to think it makes sense. And you're right, I have no experience getting bit by venomous animals - and hope to continue having no experience in that area.

Last edited:

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
But don't expect people to think it makes sense. And you're right, I no experience getting bit by venomous animals - and hope to continue having no experience in that area.
I'm very calm, dont get all flustered over it. And yeah man thats cool no one wants you to get bit, ive already explained that my actions are not for incentive purposes. so please dont get bit.

Not like mammals or birds do, not capable of thought.
No other animal on this planet is capable of REASON, therefore , no, cats, dogs, birds,do not THINK. They act on instinct, some use more complex methods of behaving in these instinctive ways, such as a dog that sits or sniffs out drugs on command, hes not doing it because he THINKS its the rights thing to do (thats reason) hes just looking forward to the chew toy or treat he is gonna get as soon as it sits or finds the yayoooo

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
No other animal on this planet is capable of REASON
This is completely false, but beside the point. Invertebrate "brains" aren't as complex as bird and mammal brains, and aren't capable of the same level of bird and mammal thought and reasoning.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Willuminati: I'm starting to think you're trolling me. If so, stop wasting peoples time. Otherwise do some research. I would suggest starting with "can animals reason" and "do animals all have the same mental complexity".

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
This is completely false, but beside the point. Invertebrate "brains" aren't as complex as bird and mammal brains, and aren't capable of the same level of bird and mammal thought and reasoning.
Oh man that actually made me laugh out loud a little bit. What sesame street teacher told you that birds and mammals can think or reason?!?

Since you still wanna continue to argue tho...

Youre pretty much incorrect or out of line with everything youve stated. you dont have the knowledge or experience to debate any of these topics, and as i said before, your opinions and assumptions are completely irrelevant. its been a laugh reading your responses thanks for keeping my slow day at work occupied :happy: