lethal centipede?

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
You never got back to me so bought some from Europe. They're coming in a really BIG brown box.
This word brings back so many memory:angelic:. People thought I was brown boxing because they thought I was Canadian. Which I'm not.... I'm Chinese living in Canada :rolleyes:.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Any animal above a certain size can be deadly if you're

Q: Is it possible that a centipede bite could kill?
A: According to the data we have about symptoms* it is certainly possible, although only in extreme cases, but so far it has not been reliably recorded except for perhaps one instance.
The one instance you refer to is almost certainly the only documented case and the actual cause of death a SECONDARY INFECTION, not venom. A scratch from your own fingernails can result in a secondary infection.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The one instance you refer to is almost certainly the only documented case and the actual cause of death a SECONDARY INFECTION, not venom.
Keep in mind that that your speculation that there was a secondary infection is just as undocumented as the claims of lethal bites. Actually, the one actual medical report I saw was of an Egyptian man who died of a bite from what was probably a Scolopendra morsitans, and the symptoms included shock and a shutting down of systems within a very short time. This does not suggest a secondary infection. Possibilities include a hypersensitivity to the venom, severe allergic reaction, pre-existing medical condition, or even a bad reaction to some "home remedy" to the bite.

A second bite that I was familiar with was a non-lethal but severe reaction to the bite of a Scolopendra heros that resulted in kidney failure. This too was very fast, indicating a venom reaction rather than secondary infection. I do not know how the case turned out in the long run - whether or not the patient recovered kidney function.

We all know that most people bitten by these two species survive and suffer only pain. But that doesn't mean that the venoms can't be lethal to some people. I would suggest that this parallels incidents of snakebite. Lots more people get bitten by rattlesnakes every year in this country (U.S.) than get bitten by centipedes, so there is much more data available. The very large majority of snake bite victims survive, although a small percentage die. There is a tendency to credit survival to medical treatment because most snakebite victims seek medical treatment, and antivenom is widely available and widely used - but some of us do not use antivenom and we survive with much less damage than popular legend would suggest.

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
The one instance you refer to is almost certainly the only documented case and the actual cause of death a SECONDARY INFECTION, not venom. A scratch from your own fingernails can result in a secondary infection.
She child died 24hrs later, which seems quick for an infection no?

This is the only officially acknowledged case, but there are more.

I think that rather than speculating, what we need is medical records of children being bitten by large dehaani and surviving. There must surely be a reasonable number of these given how often people get bitten.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Keep in mind that that your speculation that there was a secondary infection is just as undocumented as the claims of lethal bites. Actually, the one actual medical report I saw was of an Egyptian man who died of a bite from what was probably a Scolopendra morsitans, and the symptoms included shock and a shutting down of systems within a very short time. This does not suggest a secondary infection. Possibilities include a hypersensitivity to the venom, severe allergic reaction, pre-existing medical condition, or even a bad reaction to some "home remedy" to the bite.

A second bite that I was familiar with was a non-lethal but severe reaction to the bite of a Scolopendra heros that resulted in kidney failure. This too was very fast, indicating a venom reaction rather than secondary infection. I do not know how the case turned out in the long run - whether or not the patient recovered kidney function.

We all know that most people bitten by these two species survive and suffer only pain. But that doesn't mean that the venoms can't be lethal to some people. I would suggest that this parallels incidents of snakebite. Lots more people get bitten by rattlesnakes every year in this country (U.S.) than get bitten by centipedes, so there is much more data available. The very large majority of snake bite victims survive, although a small percentage die. There is a tendency to credit survival to medical treatment because most snakebite victims seek medical treatment, and antivenom is widely available and widely used - but some of us do not use antivenom and we survive with much less damage than popular legend would suggest.
I think a better example would be bites from a copperhead, as opposed to a rattlesnake. Has anyone ever died of a copperhead bite? Not directly. One man died from a heart attack as a result of the stress of being bitten. Probably there are some people out there allergic to Copperhead Venom, but no one has died from a copperhead bite without other medical conditions coming into it.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think a better example would be bites from a copperhead, as opposed to a rattlesnake. Has anyone ever died of a copperhead bite? Not directly.....
That was my point - copperheads are not considered lethal - rattlesnakes are. As with "lethal" centipedes, the lethality is exaggerated, but because a rattlesnake bite CAN be lethal in a small percentage of cases, it is considered potentially lethal. The same with centipedes - in a majority of cases people survive, but there appears to be a small minority of cases which may be lethal. In truth, we don't have enough documented cases in native environments to adequately evaluate the lethality of some of the more potent centipedes. Medical records in rural third world countries are not common.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
She child died 24hrs later, which seems quick for an infection no?
You can find reference to this story of the girl bit in the head in many places, but it is an urban legend older than most anyone on this forum.

Celestus

Arachnopeon

That definitely sounds like a reaction to the venom specific to that individual (the man I mean); especially if was likely to be a S. morsitans. Also NatGeo writers publishing bull like this is nothing new. I still remember the Dynastes granti labeled as a goliath beetle in one of their articles.

Scoly

Arachnobaron
This article says:

"Systemic reactions and death from centipede envenomation rarely occur, however, acute myocardial ischemia in an adult male as well as death in a 7-year-old girl after a bite to the head have been reported"

I don't have time to dig into references to check validity so can't present those statements as accurate. However, the article is a good starting point on medical view of bites and treatment.

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Welllllll im about 30 hours into getting hit by my (Scolopendra Dehaani) Flame Leg Female, she is easily over 10" BL at the moment. She lunged and got me on my right hand ring finger and pumped me up for a few solid seconds. Less than two hours into it i began to notice hives on my face and torso ( this was not the first Dehaani bite ive taken but never have i been hit by such a large specimen or reacted this same way) and all the way down to my ankles. Started to drink water and tried to relax to ride it out, but within 3 hours my body went into shock. my blood pressure was fluctuating, hives were coiming and going, my body temperature was also fluctuating from the physical shock. i threw up uncontrollably for a few hours into the night which left me dangerously dehydrated even though i was drinking as much water and gatorade as i could, still i would puke it all right back up and the pain and muscle spasms all over my body would continue.After getting home while trying to fall asleep i applied a heat pad near the site to sooth the unyielding pain since running hot water over my wrist seemed to help a bit, so the heat pad worked just as well.

i have no existing medical conditions nor am i allergic to anything, im a healthy adult, and from this experience i can say that if an animal similar to the one that bit me were to bite a young child, or a person with heart or a respiratory condition or other medical condition, or an elderly person, it can most certainly be a deadly situation.

I never get bit on purpose but my curiosity keeps me from taking ALL necessary precautions to avoid being hit, i dont exactly welcome it or enjoy it but it is most definitely something that i find interest in understanding, but you cant really understand things like this just by reading stuff on the internet that you dont even trust is accurate...you need to experience it to understand it, and not just once :alien

30 hours later the pain is subsiding and the swelling has eased up a bit, my breathing is still a bit shallowed and my heart feels like it skips a beat every few minutes. lots or sore muscles and most of my joints feel sore, especially my hands, knees, shoulders and elbows.
BUT ILL BE FIIIIIIIINE

Last edited:

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Welllllll im about 30 hours into getting hit by my (Scolopendra Dehaani) Flame Leg Female, .......... Less than two hours into it i began to notice hives on my face and torso ( this was not the first Dehaani bite ive taken .....
Hives are classically the result of allergic reactions. The first time you are exposed to a foreign protein you will not get an allergic reaction because allergies are basically immune responses gone awry. But repeated exposures can lead to allergies, and allergic reactions tend to increase with exposure. Since you have had previous exposures to dehanni venom and now you showed a fast and serious reaction that might well be an allergic response - I would recommend you take precautions against future bites. A more severe reaction could well include anaphylactic shock, which could be fatal.

I would also suggest you talk to a doctor specializing in allergies. Get a professional opinion. There are ways of testing potential allergens to see how sensitive you are to them, although with something as unusual as centipede venom that might be expensive and impractical. (I've had titres run on me for sensitivity to kissing bugs and for antibodies to rabies - but those are far more mainstream than centipedes.)

Willuminati

Arachnosquire
Since you have had previous exposures to dehanni venom and now you showed a fast and serious reaction that might well be an allergic response - I would recommend you take precautions against future bites. A more severe reaction could well include anaphylactic shock, which could be fatal.
Very true indeed, however i do plan on self envenomations in the near future with less toxic species and slowly move up towards the more toxic asain pedes such as Dehaani etc., in order to try and work up a tolorence. i know its possible and i recognize the risk of a serious and fatal allergic reaction and will take whatever necessary precautions before during and after. but if i die, then yall gonna get some good info that wont be made up :astonished:

LEN2sxN.jpg.png