Leopard gecko morphs/genetics

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
May be getting some leopard geckos in the near future and was wondering if anyone knew of any guides/documents and such related to gecko morphs, what goes into these names, lineages, etc. Not looking to breed, just wanted to learn more about them and what makes what, etc.

thanks!

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
May be getting some leopard geckos in the near future and was wondering if anyone knew of any guides/documents and such related to gecko morphs, what goes into these names, lineages, etc. Not looking to breed, just wanted to learn more about them and what makes what, etc.

thanks!
This looks like a pretty well put together piece, in case you haven't seen it yet:

I've been out of the leopard gecko game a long time - last time I had any there was probably 10 or 12 named morphs available. This says that now there are over 100... Eesh.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

thanks!
Most lep gex in N America are inbred according to an experienced breeder I read an article about, so much so I won’t buy any.

However if you can get some with DIRECT bloodlines from recent imports that would be best. They tend to be larger, more alert and look normal.

Jaycooks1

Arachnopeon
I picked up 2 "Fancy Leopard Geckos" at PetSmart one black Friday. One is a light colored version of the Carrot tail morph and the other one turned out to be Blizzard morph also not well colored but still interesting additions to my Afghanistan Normal. I like the morphs, don't want to mortgage my house for some of the ones they sell online.

slayerofgoliath86

Arachnopeon
Hi folks

Sorry if wrong thread a friend of a friend is selling this would this be suitable for a leopard gecko

Description
Excellent vivarium
W 92xd38xh40cm
Whole set up including
- new heating bulb 25w
- heating mat
- three hides
- water bowl
- some plants and wood
- fleece floor mat
- timer

TasmanianTrev

Arachnopeon
SORRY IF I'M LATE TO THE PARTY Y'ALL!
If you're not looking to start a breeding project, phenotype or colorings are strictly based off of your own preferences. For example, I picked up two Leos from a local chain pet store (I know, I know) and they turned out to be a female wild-type and a female super hypo. Breeders would sell the super hypo for more than the $30 I paid for her- but that's luck. I don't suggest buying pets from the chain stores for a plethora of reasons but it worked out, no sickly or parasitized animals. Fast forward several month to now- I picked up what I believe to be a 'blazing blizzard' / 'blizzard' morph for the same price point of $25. I chose this little guy because I WANTED a patternless, all white Leo. What started as keeping pets for not only myself but for my little boy turned into "hey, I might have a breeding colony here". Some of the price points on the newer designer morphs are astronomical, fetching upwards of HUNDREDS to THOUSANDS of dollars. For example, the Black Night Leos (I want to complement my all-white Leo) is going for $800-$1500+ depending on purchase location. I just started looking up, "Leopard Gecko Morphs w/ Pictures" then sought out the ones I liked and cross referenced it with "XYZ Leopard Gecko Morph for Sale" and scrolled through the online breeders. Also! Check your local craigslist listings, people who can't accommodate their pets anymore let them go (sometimes with an enclosure" for far less than you'd pay arranging your own assortment.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight

thanks!
I got rid of mine not too long ago. If you thinks T’s don’t do anything leopard geckos are worse. Haha, I had a couple of blood diamond tangerine crosses. Like beardies the brighter the color the more expensive they are. Also depends on the eyes. Has to do with eyes and color. They weren’t for me. Never really been a reptile person. Always been an arachnid one.
My geckos were anywhere from 3/500 buckaroos. So look to spend a pretty penny on these things. Some of them have nasty attitudes as well. They hiss loud when pissed off and have a pretty decent bite.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Main Lines Tremper, Rainwater, Mack and Bell so if you plan on breeding, stay within a single line. Don't mix Tremper's with Bells etc.... except I know Macks get bread with Trempers Fancier the color the more the $.
Hypo = Less than 10 Spots, Super Hypo = no spots except head, Superhypo Baldy = spots only on the tail.
Various lines of Tangerines, Mandarins, Bloods. I have a Tremper Superhypo Tangerine Carrot tail Baldy Male I will be breeding with a Tremper Tangerine Albino to produce Sunglows (black spots on tail are brown) and with a Tremper Blood to make Blood Tangerines. As others have said there are Eye Morphs as well, Eclipse (Black Eye) is one of the most desirable, or Raptors which are red eyed albino, and Snake Eyes