Leopard gecko help..

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
cant seem to eat. goes for prey like crazy but cant seem to really get it in its mouth to chomp on. ive tried larger superworms, and even small mealies barely the width of its head. i dont have a heat pad for it, but i have its cage next to my space heater, which is on about 12/24 h.
its tongue seems almost too big for its mouth, seems to get in the way of it getting its mouth around its food.
help.. :(

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Thanks for the photos, your substrate is paper towels, right? It does look like there could be an issue with the mouth but it is hard to tell. When they do go after prey, does a bite actually happen or is it more of the tongue hitting first and pushing it out of the way?
Please get an under tank heater for them asap, the heat you are providing isn't quite what they need. Leo's use heat on their belly to help them digest food. Please attach the heat mat to a thermostat as well, that way you stay in the proper range.
The fact that he/she still goes after food leads me away from impaction, but it is still a slight possibility. Do you have any other feeders aside from meal/super worms? Mealworms especially are very chitinous and offer little nutrition.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Is she the same Leo that had the shed issue you posted about? It looks like her toes had issues... Really feel bad for this girl if she is. :(
Also, I commend you on stepping up to help her, she needs some TLC for sure.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thanks for the photos, your substrate is paper towels, right? It does look like there could be an issue with the mouth but it is hard to tell. When they do go after prey, does a bite actually happen or is it more of the tongue hitting first and pushing it out of the way?
Please get an under tank heater for them asap, the heat you are providing isn't quite what they need. Leo's use heat on their belly to help them digest food. Please attach the heat mat to a thermostat as well, that way you stay in the proper range.
The fact that he/she still goes after food leads me away from impaction, but it is still a slight possibility. Do you have any other feeders aside from meal/super worms? Mealworms especially are very chitinous and offer little nutrition.
more of the tongue hitting first. and will do. i dont have anything besides meal/super worms, but ill pick up some crickets when i go to get the heat pad. probably tomorrow.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Ok, then yeah she could be dehydrated and her tongue could be swollen from it. Try giving her a bath in room temperature water, no higher than 23 Celsius. If she will let you, gently rub your index finger down her abdomen towards her tail. Fair warning, the combination of warm water and the massage is to stimulate defecation. Not a pleasant thing, but better than her being sick.
Don't hesitate to ask anything, I am always happy to help.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
you'll definitely want to get an heat mad for the bottom of the tank. Also to help hold the heat and help with the digestion, I have 2 thick sheets of paper towel in the end of the tank where the heat mat is so it doesn't get too warm to the touch, with a half log hide sitting directly overtop the heat mat. You can also take a bowl or container large enough to comfortably fit your gecko and fill it just enough for its stomach to be submerged and let it soak...that can help moves its bowels. Have you tried tong feeding? My girl is terrible at trying to catch roaches that are put in there but she has no issues feeding from the tongs....or even squishing the roaches heads and letting her get them while they twitch.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
you'll definitely want to get an heat mad for the bottom of the tank. Also to help hold the heat and help with the digestion, I have 2 thick sheets of paper towel in the end of the tank where the heat mat is so it doesn't get too warm to the touch, with a half log hide sitting directly overtop the heat mat. You can also take a bowl or container large enough to comfortably fit your gecko and fill it just enough for its stomach to be submerged and let it soak...that can help moves its bowels. Have you tried tong feeding? My girl is terrible at trying to catch roaches that are put in there but she has no issues feeding from the tongs....or even squishing the roaches heads and letting her get them while they twitch.
tried tong feeding, seemed to help a bit. ill add more paper tomorrow when i hopefully get the things i need.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
tried tong feeding, seemed to help a bit. ill add more paper tomorrow when i hopefully get the things i need.
I rescued 2 Leo's recently with the same symptoms, they would try to bite and the food would wiggle it's way out of their mouth. I think it may have to do with calcium deficiency, the previous owner didn't dust his prey items. So what I did is tong fed mine until they started recovering and now they've fattened up and can hunt on their own.

I saw another thread where you had issues with bad sheds on the feet? I use a humid hide to aid during shedding, it seems to help a lot. You can use any container and just cut a hole shaped entrance, then fill with moist susbtrate, I always see my guys in there approaching a shed. I put it on the cool side and leave the dry hide on the warm end so they have the choice to go where they would be most comfortable.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I rescued 2 Leo's recently with the same symptoms, they would try to bite and the food would wiggle it's way out of their mouth. I think it may have to do with calcium deficiency, the previous owner didn't dust his prey items. So what I did is tong fed mine until they started recovering and now they've fattened up and can hunt on their own.

I saw another thread where you had issues with bad sheds on the feet? I use a humid hide to aid during shedding, it seems to help a lot. You can use any container and just cut a hole shaped entrance, then fill with moist susbtrate, I always see my guys in there approaching a shed. I put it on the cool side and leave the dry hide on the warm end so they have the choice to go where they would be most comfortable.
Yeah, the previous owner wasn't exactly careful.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I think it may have to do with calcium deficiency, the previous owner didn't dust his prey items. So what I did is tong fed mine until they started recovering and now they've fattened up and can hunt on their own.

I saw another thread where you had issues with bad sheds on the feet? I use a humid hide to aid during shedding, it seems to help a lot.
The calcium deficiency is a good point. @Venom1080 does she have issues walking or any obvious misshapen look to her?
The humid hide is a great idea, my Leo's each have their own 20gal Long aquarium so I have 3 hides. Cool dry, warm dry, and the humid hide I put in between so the heat keeps it warm.

Only reason I rated you sad was because she wasn't properly cared for before you adopted her. You obviously care, which is great. She looks like she could be a great gecko for quite a few years now that she has someone who cares.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The calcium deficiency is a good point. @Venom1080 does she have issues walking or any obvious misshapen look to her?
The humid hide is a great idea, my Leo's each have their own 20gal Long aquarium so I have 3 hides. Cool dry, warm dry, and the humid hide I put in between so the heat keeps it warm.

Only reason I rated you sad was because she wasn't properly cared for before you adopted her. You obviously care, which is great. She looks like she could be a great gecko for quite a few years now that she has someone who cares.
Wow, 20 gallon and 3 hides each, you've got some spoiled Leo's ! ;) that's awesome

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

no, maybe a tad skinny.
she was actually mine originally, i picked her up at about 4" about 4 years ago.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Wow, 20 gallon and 3 hides each, you've got some spoiled Leo's ! ;) that's awesome
That's what as advised by my friends on a gecko centered forum. All 3 have been keeping them for years, a couple for over 10. I got lucky and hit the $1 per gallon sales for those and my 40 breeder though. While I'm sure the floor space is good for my 9in adult male, I know not everyone has the space, or money for the set ups I have.
Honestly they are spoiled lol but hey, they are like my kids :D

no, maybe a tad skinny.
she was actually mine originally, i picked her up at about 4" about 4 years ago.
If you had to guess, or if you can check, how much would you say she weighs? Length also?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
That's what as advised by my friends on a gecko centered forum. All 3 have been keeping them for years, a couple for over 10. I got lucky and hit the $1 per gallon sales for those and my 40 breeder though. While I'm sure the floor space is good for my 9in adult male, I know not everyone has the space, or money for the set ups I have.
Honestly they are spoiled lol but hey, they are like my kids :D

If you had to guess, or if you can check, how much would you say she weighs? Length also?
no idea on weight. i have nothing in my head to even try to reference to. shes an adult normal sized female. so about 8-9" maybe.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
no idea on weight. i have nothing in my head to even try to reference to. shes an adult normal sized female. so about 8-9" maybe.
Ok, any luck on different feeders? I peeked at your profile and saw you're in Ontario, not sure if they go by a different name but Calci-worms or Phoenix worms are great feeders. Especially if she has a calcium deficiency. Best part of them, no dusting or gutloading necessary. Though you will want a different feeder to dust with a multi-vitamin.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Ok, any luck on different feeders? I peeked at your profile and saw you're in Ontario, not sure if they go by a different name but Calci-worms or Phoenix worms are great feeders. Especially if she has a calcium deficiency. Best part of them, no dusting or gutloading necessary. Though you will want a different feeder to dust with a multi-vitamin.
going to try feeding after her shed. she just shed like not even two weeks ago, i dont remember them shedding so often.. shes got a nice humid hide so it should go well this time.
yup, i have a great place near my house called the worm lady. tons of different feeders for sale for great prices.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
1502509895174-141766528.jpg Update.. she managed to tong feed on some crickets and showed some enthusiasm for mealworms in her dish, but she's getting skinnier.. doesn't even go for food anymore.. 1502509764279-239749166.jpg